Rpt.-04-07-16 A Two Day adventure in Salsapuedes.

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    It was about time, having attempted to synchronize our schedules all through the New Year, and failed numerous times. When Bill was available, I wasn’t and visa versa, although the tide windows tormented us a bunch of weeks, and then high surf, wind and rain accounted for the rest of our failures to fish together in 2016?

So I was looking forward to another great adventure fishing with good friend Bill Fisher on his 18’ Trophy “Toad Hall”. I left work in San Bernardino at 3:05pm, Tuesday afternoon and Bill informed me there were construction issues in Tijuana, so I should head across the border in Otay Mesa, having not gone that way south before, I looked up MapQuest for directions. No worries, it was simple, although the traffic going through the border crossing was heavy. Lately it takes more time to go south than return to the US, depending upon when you go of course?

I got to the border in Otay Mesa at 5:15 pm and joined in the very long line to enter. It took over 30 minutes to cross. I arrived at Bill’s place south of Rosarito at around 6:30 pm Tuesday evening. Bill and I enjoyed the sunset in a fairly dense marine layer, while sipping on beer or my choice Chardonnay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We both had brought food for dinner and after that, Bill and I watched his bums, The Padres, get beaten by my Bums the Dodgers, 3-0. Lights out and the alarm was set for 5:15am.

Day 1-Wednesday 04-06-16

I was startled awake by Bill’s call at 5:20 am, rise and shine, not normal for me as I usually wake up earlier than the alarm. I proceeded to heat up some coffee from my thermos I brought down. We headed off to Las Salinas some 20 miles south where Bill slips his boat. The wind was calm and what little there was is blowing offshore. The harbor was flat calm with the entrance being ideal for heading out.

We cleared the harbor at 6:30 am, and headed to the first spot that had been yielding Yellowtail on prior trips, yet not according to Bill in the last three months? Water temps were 61.4 degrees, not bad, yet not good either. Worse was the water color, a very dark green, with low visibility, not conducive to good Yellowtail action.

We both began Yo Yoing our Colt Snipers. For Bill he had a difficult time keeping the small Rockfish off his lure. While I did a few fast retrieves in I also got bit by small Starries, Widows and Johnny Bass. All released for kept for bait. We moved on to several more good Yellowtail spots with similar results. Bill did catch and keep a very nice Red, and I caught a decent sized Sheephead and a keeper Boccaccio.

We then ran south towards Salsapuedes and stopped on some decent marks in deeper water. I changed to my favorite Jax jig and shrimp fly combo. Bill went to the flat fall. Both of us caught Boccaccio on our drops down. We moved on further south. Bill said these were Copper holes, and sure enough the Coppers bit, as did the Reds, although these were primarily not keeper size and released fairly well. I had three doubles in a row with a Copper and a Red, and only one Copper was keeper size.

Moving into a bit shallower water, we picked away at more small Rockfish, mostly Johnny Bass, and a couple of nice Sand Bass, with a few Calico Bass. Both of us were again using Colt Snipers and the Lingcod loved them, as did all the Rockfish. Bill had a spot Labeled on his GPS as the Red spot! It started in water depths of fewer than 120 feet. I switched to my favorite 5” plastic, an MC Red Flake with an Orange Belly. It was game on for me, as I was hammered on 7 consecutive drops, all Reds. I did use a squid strip for enticement. Bill stuck with his Colt Sniper, and did not get bit except for more Small Rockfish. So he went to his plastic choice, a six inch green and brown color. Bill was bit instantly and captured a real nice Red.

We drifted out of the fish and could not find them again. Bill chose another spot on his GPS and I caught another nice Red while Bill got bit on a good sized Johnny Bass. We kept only a third of the fish we caught. It was 11:30 am and we had to head in by latest 12:30 due to tides. So we called it a day, entering the harbor at a tide of 2.1 feet, a bit lower than our normal safe mode of 2.5+. All was good.

Back at the dock, some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad haul, considering how many fish we released, at least triple that was kept.

I cleaned the few fish we wanted for dinner, and the rest were given to either the harbor guard, and most kept for Charley’s restaurant for dinner. Bill stopped at the local Western BBQ for pulled Pork and Beef Brisket Tacos and Cole Slaw for lunch.

We spent the rest of the afternoon, just taking in the very calm ocean view, although annoyingly and negatively impacted by the heavy marine layer. It turned to chilly conditions as air temperatures dropped and the wind increased. We did observe some whales breaching in the distance and watched the local surfers catch a few waves. Of course enjoying a glass or two of wine and beer perfected our moods, leaving a very tranquil setting in our hearts.

We began watching the Padres versus the Dodgers game, and it was the Dodgers striking fast in the first inning for four runs. OK, let’s go to dinner, as Bill is a Diehard Padre fan. Off to Charley’s for a fabulous meal, I ordered a Shrimp Taco and Shrimp Burrito, while Bill ordered a fish taco and shrimp Taco. Yum Yum, slurped down with wine and beer.

It was 7-0 Dodgers when we returned and the both of us were exhausted and hit the sack, because we would be back at it at 5:15 am tomorrow morning.

Day 2- Thursday 04-07-16

We woke up to the pitter and patter of rain. It was barely a mist most of the time, so we headed toward the Marina. Arriving at Las Salinas, the rain had increased slightly and we decided that it was a no go. So we caught limits of rain and got “Rained Out” on day 2.

We returned to Bill’s place and relaxed until I packed up to leave at 9:30 am, dreading my 171 mile drive home in the rain. I stopped at Charley’s for Breakfast. I looked forward to eating my favorite, a Shrimp Omelet, served with a side of refried beans and flour tortillas. Wow, as good as it gets.

The border crossing at Otay Mesa took 10 minutes to cross. Yee ha. When I reached Del Mar, the traffic came to a screeching halt. Yikes, it was bumper to bumper for the next sixty miles. We all know Californians don’t know how to drive in the rain. There were no accidents on our side, a couple on the south bound side, yet the looky lues only added to our dilemma, as we passed their side of the freeway accidents, we still didn’t move any faster the rest of the way.

Driving 60 miles in bumper to bumper traffic can create unbelievable stress? My ideal timing to miss morning traffic jams backfired. To think how many cars occupied a four to five lane freeway for that long of a distance is mind boggling! Does anyone have to go to work during a midweek day anymore? Gad!

It also rained the entire trip home, that’s good, but added to the misery. Boy was I ready for drink when I arrived home in Diamond Bar, nearly four hours later. It was almost an hour more than normal when crossing the border in ten minutes, and not facing heavy traffic.

Gee Bill, we had fun the first day, and still the opportunity to fish with you has been layered with unfortunate delays. I can only hope the next time between trips is much shorter. I am definitely looking forward to another fishing adventure together soon. Thanks so much for the invite!

Hook up!

Cory

BornFisher, TonyH54, oishi and 9 others like this.
  2. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Obviously they haven't dredged the La Salina entrance yet.

3. bravomeister

bravomeister Member

Name:
    Alex Bravo
    Boat:
    Dusky 19
    Great report, as always. Those are some real nice reds also.

4. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    La Salina was a great spot for me. I could paddle south and limit on Calicos or north and reds galore. Now the entrance only suits the small center console.

Oh well.

thanks for the report.

5. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Well the ownership there either has no interest or no money or both! We saw the dredger in dry dock, it is broke far more often than working! Waiting for parts? Yeah right, what a joke?

yellowklr likes this.
  6. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    Great read Cory and a nice load of reds too :-)

Fishing down there sounds fantastic but I just can't fathom that drive :eek:

7. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    nice work Corey...!!! I'll be back down next week to see what i can find down there....

8. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hi Derek,

Did you ever make your run to Bay of LA or San Quintin? Tides will be bad next week! Good luck. Let's share a rail again sometime?

9. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Went To Gonzaga got back on Monday...
    Tides are perfect next weekend (16th) as good as they get for Salina !! You guys should meet us down there. I'm keeping a boat in Salina now!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  10. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    OK, hope the weather holds for you!

11. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Nice fishing Cory! I miss going to Mexico (by land). Bummer on the traffic at least you didn't get hit by a plane on the 15 like the Saturday before.

12. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    too bad no yellows -good effort !!!

13. Caseydmaze

Caseydmaze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Un-Named
    Boat:
    18' Stringari Skiff
    Cory, you should just write a weekly column. Your write ups are awesome!!

gved823 likes this.
  14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Much appreciated, a good part of my thrill of fishing is sharing my adventures with friends through my writing!

15. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    I think it is time for another column from Cory. The unceremonious ending of Cory's AC column was a bummer.

What do you think Cory? Jason and Ali?

"Fishing with Cory" could document Cory's adventures on other Bd'rs boats with timely info on the bite and gear. I would look forward to it!

Tunaslam likes this.
  16. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    I second that. Cory, your trips to Salpuedas, spelling? , would be my favorite. Looking forward to the next adventure.

Tunaslam likes this.
  17. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks, Cory! Another outstanding outing. Love that area of Baja.

Tunaslam likes this.
  18. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    I used to fish there til they stold my truck !!!

19. TonyH54

TonyH54 Whiskey Tango

Name:
    Antonio Pendejo
    Boat:
    Ask Jerry
    Looks like a nice fish fry!!

20. Caseydmaze

Caseydmaze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Un-Named
    Boat:
    18' Stringari Skiff
    I can be sitting at a desk, reading one of the reports from Cory and its like Im there. The line at the border crossing, stories of street tacos and sketchy roads, sliding in on an open paddy, Lal's rubber boat.....the guy just captures what we all want to be experiencing....when we can't!!

Tunaslam likes this.