Islands Rpt-02-12-22-Just for the Hal Li Butt!

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat Name
N/A
Craig and Morris had an itch to go Halibut fishing at Catalina, and invited me to join them. The 26' Skipjack "Jugular" had been Landlocked since December and needed exercise. It was only going to be a drop dead beautiful day, with calm seas, in "February" no less, 88 degrees, who knew? So how could I refuse? Another day sitting at home dreaming about fishing wasn't going to work. Not fishing was not an option today!

We hooked up at Huntington Harbor at 6:30 am Saturday morning. A few small issues and we were off to Nachos for some live squid. A half scoop worked for us. The seas were in fact calm and the weather balmy. It was an exceptional ride over to Catalina. We started at Ben Westin, which all of us have had incredible Halibut fishing in the area over the years. Keep in mind none of us usually target Halibut, however, what else can you target during February?

My best day in this area was two Halibut over 20 pounds, a 35 pound White Seabass, and two Yellowtail in the 15-20 pound range. Albeit that was later in the year, not this early. We had heard of some Halibut being caught at Catalina, so what the heck, why not give it a try?

We gave Ben Westin a two hour try, and I managed to catch two Whitefish. All of us got bites, some felt like Halibut, yet no luck on hooking, reeling in headless squid, or mutilated squid.

We moved on to Freddies Beach, then Salsa Verde, then Silver Canyon, and near the three V'a. Fishing some beautiful Turquoise water. Clarity was unreal up to 28 feet. Water temps were between 58.5 and 59.5.

It was not to be! We left with our tails between our legs. It turned out to be a simple boat ride, but gad could we all love to bottle the conditions? So sweet!

The greatness is yet to come. All the best everyone, and may 2022 be your best fishing ever!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Way to get to Cat and give it a go Cory, Guys.
    At least you covered the backside pretty well.
    Sometimes the best weather day, is not the
    best of fishing days. LOL. Like I always say...
    "You'll never know, unless you go...FISHING"

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zika and Tunaslam
    Upvote 0