Rpt.-01-24-18 Lake Pacifica, Good Bass'n!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunaslam, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    So this a two reports in one, as I fished last week with Lal, as well as fishing Wednesday 01-24-18, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Davies in Long Beach at 5:30 am. The skies were clear as we exited the harbor. You could seem to reach out and touch Catalina.

Mother wind was forecasted to be very calm in the morning, with perhaps 7 to 9 in the afternoon. What was strange was a squall that came up on our way up the harbor towards the Palos Verde Coast. Oh boy was this going to be another day where the marine weather man was totally off base? We continued on through the harbor and exited the San Pedro harbor entrance into very calm seas, better than in the harbor, how weird?

We made our way up the Palos Verde Coast, with water temps down to 56 degrees, way below last week’s temps of 60 to 61. Yikes! We could only wish that the Bass had adjusted to the lower temps and were in feeding mode?

Lal ran past a few of our usual spots and stopped on some good readings in 57.5 degree water. The meter was lit up with plenty of fish and lots of bait. The hard bottom structure was loaded with both. We had a 45 minute flurry of nonstop bites. Almost every cast resulted in a solid bite, some on the fall, and some on the wind in. We both experienced short bites again and again, so frustrating, yet we realized these fish were definitely on a serious chew, not expected during this time of the year.

As compared with last week where no fish exceeded 2.5 pounds, therefore not picture worthy, today’s Bass were bigger and resulted in pictures being taken.

On about my tenth cast I caught a 3 pound Calico Bass:

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 001 (1024x768).jpg

Shortly later Lal caught a 3 pound Sand Bass:

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 004 (974x1024).jpg

Then I got hammered and reeled in about a four pound Calico Bass, although while lifting it aboard it broke off, having swallowed the plastic, darn, poor Bass. Then Lal got slammed and shouted its taking drag. Then again he was using only 15 pound line. The big Bass took drag several times before succumbing to the pressure. It weighed 5 lbs. on the Boga:

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 007 (1024x768).jpg

The bite shut down as quickly as it started, amazing that there was zero current, yet they did feed. Why they stopped biting is a quandary? Oh yeah as Lal reminded me, I did land a very feisty 3-4 pound Black Sea bass, it put up quite a fight all the way to the surface. A beautiful fish with black spots and purple hues!

So Lal decided it was hopefully better around the corner to Rocky Point. As we headed north the water temps gradually increased, and by the time we reached Rocky Point it was up to 58.4. The seas remained grease calm, however a half hour later around 8am another squall appeared, with winds reaching about 12 knots and lots of snow cones. The rapid drift created unwanted scope out, even on 2 oz. lead heads as opposed to our usual 1 oz.

In these unfortunate conditions the bites were few and far between. Lal moved us into work the kelp area where it was calmer. He found a nice rock and hard bottom near the kelp loaded with bait and fish, and it was game on for about 15 minutes, another nice flurry. Our earlier flurry resulted in about 20 mixed Bass, a 70/30 ratio of mostly Calico Bass. All released as per our usual routine. We also caught and released Sculpin, Johnny Bass, Gopher cod, Coppers, Rock Bass and surprisingly a Whitefish that bit the plastic. I’ve caught them before with squid tipped plastics, but not a plain one?

We then faced a very slow bite for the next hour, catching mostly Rockfish, and added a few Calico Bass and Sand Bass. Despite numerous areas displaying good marks, the bite up here had died. We ran south to fish Palos Verde coastline. We picked a few here and there on rocks and hard bottom, then like we around the corner Lal moved us next to the kelp.

A few more pictures:

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 002 (1024x768).jpg

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 005 (1024x841).jpg

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 009 (1024x916).jpg

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 003 (1024x662).jpg

Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 006 (999x1024).jpg

You can ask why not try it more often, well with kelp comes problems, as you do lose gear and we do not fish with weed less plastics. Mind you we have done this many times in the past and many times the Bass don’t bite along the kelp, yet you spend time re-rigging do to lost gear. Another thing is with no current; you don’t drift so fast and can spend more time over fish.

However today, fishing close to the kelp, the Calico Bass went off and we also added a few Sand Bass. It was another nice flurry and after a half hour shut down. With virtually no current the entire day, we definitely lucked out.

The weather remained incredible, it was truly Lake Pacifica! We tried the pipes and more kelp areas for very little between noon and 1:30 pm when we called it a day. We were on the trailer by 2:30 pm, having released over 60 Bass and over a dozen other species.

So what did we do last week, also on Wednesday? We chose to fish the Pipe and Newport Reef area, as well as few stones in Bolsa Chica. The fish were mostly in the 1 to 2 pound range, with some much smaller. Again the weather was extraordinary. We released around 50 mixed Bass, with no bycatch, a 60/40 ratio of Sand Bass/ Calico Bass. So with no pictures, I chose not to post a report.

Based on a hot tip Lal utilized the excellent flat calm seas to run out to the 150 where two 20+ pound Yellowtail had been caught on Tuesday on 15 pound and plastics fishing for Sculpin. We had numbers, metered marks in the area, and did not see anything that looked like Tails. We spent over an hour and called it a day at 2pm.

Thanks Lal, a couple of excellent days on the water. Let’s do it again soon.

Hook up! Cory Lal-Bass-01-24-18 2018-01-24 008 (1024x900).jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    You guys are up to your 'usual'. Sounds like some very fun 'winter' fishing days! Glad you guys are living it up!!

You mentioned the fish biting sometimes on the fall, sometimes on the retrieve. Are you purely just casting and retrieving, or do you ever just jig up and down repeatedly along the bottom?

Thanks for the report and pics!!

Tunaslam likes this.
  3. mark johnsen

mark johnsen Ichthus

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Blue J
    STUDS!

Tunaslam likes this.
  4. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    :appl:

Tunaslam likes this.
  5. DrBob89

DrBob89 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bob Nigbor
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    We are fortunate to have such a fine, fishy resource and great "winter" weather in our backyard. Nice report!

Tunaslam likes this.
  6. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    Nice going gentlemen,fish biting on the fall,flat grease like water conditions,great company,and a lot of biters,man o man,you can’t beat that!

Tunaslam likes this.
  7. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    A really nice day on the water with good fishing. We cast out alot and slow retrieve the plastics. Cory forgot that he caught a BSB about 3-4 lbs-a very beautiful fish when they are young !!!

Tunaslam and RyanErb like this.
  8. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Awsome job!

Tunaslam likes this.
  9. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    At times we do lift the lure up and down off the bottom, when they hang tight to the bottom, however, this does invite hanging up on the structure and donating your lead head and plastic to the deep! I find that technique works best for Rockfish and is not our targeted species.

10. Munnster

Munnster Member

Name:
    Michael Munn
    Boat:
    20 foot, Searay
    Way to go Cory and Lal! Great report as usual.

Tunaslam likes this.
  11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Those bass look like pure fun! 3-5 lbs is good fishing. Must be something in the water....saw that 11 lb C&R Calico on the “other” site which seems to confirm my something in the water theory! Thanks for the report Cory!

Tunaslam likes this.
  12. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Glad to see the dinamic duo back at it.
    Well done gentlemen

Tunaslam likes this.
  13. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Nice! We've had a few good bass days this winter. Triggers too.

j

Tunaslam likes this.
  14. Tunaslam

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Glad to hear that, the Triggers were most likely caught on bait (shrimp/squid)?

15. First-watch

First-watch Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Play-N Hookey
    Nice to see to see your reports are still as informative as ever. Great job..

Tunaslam likes this.