norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I'm going to keep this short, as a well documented, very detailed version will be coming from Anglewood and FlickFish in the coming week.

Cliff notes version - we killed em with Capt. Roy Rose, Capt. Jonathan, Big D, Eddie, Deron, Greg, Chefs Joe and Dave. We racked em, stacked em and whacked em good, really really good. Insanely good. More importantly, we were able to fulfill a promise for Brent Ikari from Sato Custom Rods. We fished Alijos Rocks and north.

We had a nice mix of yellowtail, yellowfin, dorado, bluefin, wahoo, cabrilla, rockfish and etc.

Iron fishing was insane and completely off the hook.....some of the best surface iron fishing that I have ever seen or experienced. Jig fishing with Colt Snipers was insanely productive and was out performing bait while fishing for YFT. I caught my entire limit of YT in about 1.5 hours on surface iron, maybe less. For one duration.....it was one cast, one kill type of fishing and it was a lot of fun. The icing was the 50 BFT that we put in the boat on the last morning of fishing before we had to leave at 9am to head back up the line. Here's the best part, we were catching BFT on surface iron as well....man was that fun watching them blow up on the jig. Go fishing if you're sitting here reading this report and wondering if it's any good.......Fun times on the RP!
DSC02333.JPG

DSC02533.JPG
DSC02520.JPG
DSC02472.JPG
DSC02456.JPG
DSC02418.JPG
DSC02374.JPG
DSC02364.JPG
DSC02302.JPG
DSC02296.JPG

DSC02294.JPG

DSC02251.JPG

Last edited:

Jim Schmitt

Schmitty
Jun 11, 2017
Missouri
Name
Jim
Boat
Red Rooster
I'm going to keep this short, as a well documented, very detailed version will be coming from Anglewood and FlickFish in the coming week.

Cliff notes version - we killed em with Capt. Roy Rose, Capt. Jonathan, Big D, Eddie, Deron, Greg, Chefs Joe and Dave. We racked em, stacked em and whacked em good, really really good. Insanely good. More importantly, we were able to fulfill a promise for Brent Ikari from Sato Custom Rods. We fished Alijos Rocks and north.

We had a nice mix of yellowtail, yellowfin, dorado, bluefin, wahoo, cabrilla, rockfish and etc.

Iron fishing was insane and completely off the hook.....some of the best surface iron fishing that I have ever seen or experienced. Jig fishing with Colt Snipers was insanely productive and was out performing bait while fishing for YFT. I caught my entire limit of YT in about 1.5 hours on surface iron, maybe less. For one duration.....it was one cast, one kill type of fishing and it was a lot of fun. The icing was the 50 BFT that we put in the boat on the last morning of fishing before we had to leave at 9am to head back up the line. Go fishing if you're sitting here reading this report and wondering if it's any good.......Fun times on the RP!
View attachment 856672

View attachment 856671 View attachment 856670 View attachment 856669 View attachment 856668 View attachment 856667 View attachment 856666 View attachment 856665 View attachment 856663 View attachment 856662

View attachment 856661
View attachment 856660
What was the hot surface iron? What color? What did you throw it with?

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
What was the hot surface iron? What color? What did you throw it with?
For me....i was using a Salas 7X light in Mint Green. Using my Okuma Komodo SS with 60lb braid and short 5' piece of 50lb fluoro top shot. Bad ass little reel can put the wood to these yellas.....

Reactions: DesotoBound

RockHopperNCKA

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Awesome. Thanks for the report!

We saw you guys from the Islander on Tuesday and Wednesday. It mighta been you guys they dumped the bait tanks for when we left...two hours after Capt. John said, "OK, we really gotta be taking off soon".

I think we pulled 111 off of that final school. I got five on the mint/white JRI surface iron. Good times for sure!

Last edited:

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Nice job on the report Doug,

Just got home from the turnaround to go on the UC 2-Day and we had a great trip there as well. I'll see what I can put together over the next week, its gonna be real busy as work starts back up for me a week from Monday.

-Connor

The Dr.

May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
Doug great job on putting this trip together! I had a blast. Some of the best YT fishing I've ever experienced. The second morning we were knocking the sh$t out of em on the surface iron!

Best set up for me was mint/chrome and mint/white Tady 45. Phenix909j and Andros 12Nii, as well as Black Diamond 809HXF and Komodo 471 were working for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: wils

flickfish

Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
Doug great job on putting this trip together! I had a blast. Some of the best YT fishing I've ever experienced. The second morning we were knocking the sh$t out of em on the surface iron!

Best set up for me was mint/chrome and mint/white Tady 45. Phenix909j and Andros 12Nii, as well as Black Diamond 809HXF and Komodo 471 were working for me.
Hey Kenji - you might wanna upload your pics to a different provider, showing up that you're out of bandwidth. Imgur is a good option. Great fishing with ya ;)

Nice report Doug, I don't think I'll be writing one and everything is starting to blur together. I'm sure Connor will do a more than adequate job ;)

Reactions: Anglewood

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris

Kenji - So glad that you, Darin, Connor and myself all had the chance to experience that ripper surface iron bite together. That was truly amazing and just sh** tons of fun! The YFT bite on iron was also phenomenal as well......slide, crankin, yo yo....it didn't matter, they wanted to chew it. However, the BFT on the Salas 7X light, that just capped it for me. Can't wait to do it again with you and Stroh! Take care and talk to you soon.