RP May 2005 22 day David Choate charter.

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Okay dudes here it is.

For me I was glad we got to visit both Clipperton Atoll and the Hurricane Bank. 2 for 1. I have never been to either destinations so Iam stoked I had the opportunity to visit both locations.

Here is a shot of the harbor in Puerto Vallarta. For those of us who stayed the night in PV we headed over to Porto Bello (sp) restaurant for what was a great Italian dinner to me. Lots of food, drinks, and laughter. Great bunch of guy's.

IMG_1475.JPG

Heading out to the RP.
IMG_1476.JPG

This gave me serious wood.. There she is......
IMG_1478.JPG

PV from sea.
IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

People mention all the time how do we manage the travel time. Well for me I need all the travel time we can get..... Rigging, learning, chatting, relaxing, making new friends ect takes some time. Before it gets hot and heavy fishing wise its nice to know who you are fishing with.

Clipperton felt very magical and a special place to me but without the Atoll holding massive amounts of Largers we had to move along in the future. First early morning we had a snap on the smaller models 15-65lb fish. David loaned me a large knife jig and after the first few winds a 50lber ate it in the dark. Funny though when the fish hit the deck I guess the jig was vertical and with the weight of the fish on top it snapped the very upper part of the jig. It was still intact from the wire. Durability seemed on the weak side considering it snapped on the first fish and it was a little guy but it got bit.. Into the chunk bucket he went. At gray light it was awesome seeing the Atoll. We picked away a few more smaller fish then moved along to the Grove where 2 big fish were decked right away. Looked very promising. We fished some bird schools to with a biter here and there.

Next day same deal yoyoing in the dark until gray light. Set up in the Grove but it was not kicking them out and we fished some more bird schools. Now the Porpoise you have heard about were absolutely evil. This day I got a 70lber and 90lber on bait and to get those 2 bites I mowed through literally 60 + baits donated to Porpoise. We had a small period where we were getting some nice fish on the slow trolled flyers. My turn came up and I got erupted on and picked, came out of the water to eat it but did not get the hook. Next angler got a 170ish fish on the slow trolled kite. Nice to see these nicer grade Tunafish blow out. I believe that evening we had a short flash on the kites with a few nice fish coming one after the other. It was short lived though.

Next morning yoying in the dark. Checked the Grove and it was not holding. Chased some bird schools for a few fish. Each day we did get a few nice fish off the bird schools 70-175lb but no rippers. This morning at gray light I tried a technique I was told for the Porpoise problem and it does work sometimes. The Porpoise wait for you to put the reel in gear so they can rip it off the hook. I would let them run with it for along time and sometimes they would finally drop it and move on to another bait. Did not always work but it did work one time after never putting my reel into gear after having been picked up numerous times on the same bait by Porpoise he finally left it alone. Given my bait now looks like a pin cushion but heck at least Iam out there with a bait on which was seriously challenging. A 50lber ate it so that is a little trick that can work sometimes. By early afternoon the decision was made to head to Hurricane Bank which was a great decision. From what I gathered when Clipperton is working the Porpoise are competing with the YFT and vice versa under the birds. So the Porpoise are not nearly such a menace when they are mixed with YFT. Problem we had was it was mostly Porpoise with few YFT in the mix. Porpoise was beating out the YFT almost every time. They over ran the place. Not enough Tunafish to stay, we are out.

Clipperton Atoll.

IMG_1483.JPG

That rock is the highest point of the Island.

IMG_1484.JPG

The Grove is the area of Palms on the other side, wish I had a better picture. Now the water you see in-between the land is fresh water. A huge fresh water lagoon is on the island. Seems more fresh water then land. Its like a donut with water in the center. Very cool.
IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

Boobie birds.
IMG_1492.JPG

This is what the birds we would chase looked like. A few even get caught on the Marauders as they are dive bombing them. Lots of Porpoise not enough Tunafish. But we would hook a few everyday and would see nice ones boil too.
IMG_1495.JPG

4 days at Hurricane Bank.

Day 1. .
We arrive at Hurricane Bank and troll during gray light for Wahoo's. We are catching them mostly on the troll and a few on the casting jigs too. I trashed another one of Davids jigs this time a new Marauder orange and black. Not sure exactly what happened but I have a pretty good idea. Iam in the port corner and the rod bumps up and down and the Marauder is gone. I think a Wahoo was coming for the middle line and its teeth touched the spectra about 15+ feet above the Marauder and cut it off. The Marauder disappeared after the rod bumped. Not a failure of any kind fricken thing cut me off way up there. We drop the anchor and I hook a 170lb fish on my TN30 and 50# with Cal drag plate mated to my friend Killsticks 700H, my 700H had my 20 on it. I was waiting for the anchor to hang and was trying for a Wahoo in the bow. After getting punished for along time the fish hits the deck. I have caught quite a few 80-120lb fish on 50# with TLD30 2 speed but man those extra pounds on a high speed reel is punishment but sure is gooood pain. It felt good. We had some darn good fishing the first day with 44 boated 140-240lb fish. Very nice quality and I now have wood. Got a fish on the chunk and a Cow on the kite too. We had big fish hanging the entire day until it was dark. Iam still awed at watching 140-250lb fish blow out on flyers all over the bank. This day in particular they put on a very visual show and bit good too. Blow outs everywhere.

One of Brandons.
IMG_1513.JPG

Hold hold hold.
IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

I only take pics of Davids fish that are over 200lbs. Heres a 212lb on the Chunk.
david1.jpg

Day 2.
We started each morning off yoyoing. We did get 2 nice fish on the yoyo jigs and smaller units too. I caught a Wahoo on the Raider this day and it was tiny. Did some slow troll kite fishing and a good one ate my dead flyer and came out of the water very cool 190ish. We dropped the anchor and 2 nice fish found a likening to my Caballito. Right place right time.

IMG_1504.JPG

A second later I probably would have got the splatter.

IMG_1506.JPG

Threadfin Sculpin.
IMG_1564.JPG

Day 3.
Some yoyoing. This day the kite hated me and bait fish too. Had a few very nice fish blow out on the kite and got a chewed bait which was a Pompano with long streamers off its fins, spit.. We knew the Pompano with streamers would get bit but not that it would be spit back out LoL. The picked bait was a live flyer and a big one batted the thing numerous times and picked the bait. Very cool just to see even though he stole the bait. Watching my flyer try to fly on the kite because Tunafish are chasing him is awesome. I blanked. Nada.

IMG_1533.JPG

The tail is beating so fast the camera could not capture it.

IMG_1535.JPG

Day 4.
Some yoying. Got one on the Cabalitto, One on the kite, One on a Cabalitto. I was able to put those 3 into the fresh tank for primo product which my family will enjoy. I was lucky on my last kite fish of the trip a 196lb. I asked if Ryan and I could take the skiff (Royal Ryan) to see if we can mop some Wahoo up before the day was over. I was told not much Wahoo around from the big guy and stay on the big boat. Sure glad I did.

18th hole LOL.. Seiners mark the high spots of the bank which hold Wahoos for us.
IMG_1540.JPG

Chunk area.
IMG_1566.JPG

last hour of fishing brail it.
IMG_1581_945526.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

The crew of the RP is first class and big thanks to Frank, Roy, Billy, Eddie, Anthony,and Ryan. I cant say enough how good these guy's are. It is really amazing to me especially the anchor work with many in the bow at once. The first day on the Bank we had 4 big ones all in the bow and I was impressed how the crew kept us all clean and we all got our fish. It was not easy with 2 at color doing big circles around the anchor, ect. The food, we were just spoiled. The quality and variety was unbelievable and Javier and Kenny did a fabulous job. Really truly first class chefs.

The generosity of the sponsors was astounding. Everyone got a nice goody bag, everyone got alteast one nice raffle prize +, and the Accurate 30 and Calstar rod for a fish contest was a great way to give up those 2 big prizes. Added excitement. First Cow got the Accurate 30 and first casting jig wahoo got the calstar.

The passengers were such a joy to be with. I learned allot from Jerry Brown and Big Daddy Burnside along with the rest of the passengers. Some very good veteran fisherman and hearing the stories of The Islands and all other experiences was awesome. I was the newbie and absorbed as much as I could. I have ALLOT to learn. Really though the stories of pasts trips from these veterans was exciting.

Big thanks to Jack of Accurate for letting me fish a few of his reels which performed flawlessly. Killer 2 speeds right out of the box. Going from low to high is quick too. Very nice not to fumble around getting back into high when the fish does a u turn and charges the boat. I like the lettering drag setting system. Really lets you know exactly where you are. And the drags smoooooooth.

David caught a Amberjack. I caught my first one ever a small one but all I got was a head back.

IMG_1550.JPG

I attribue my good fortune to wahoodad for everything he has been teaching me over the last few years. I ask allot of questions and he always answers them. I felt as though I had my own crew to assist me with being sett up correctly, kind of cheating. We spent allot of time getting my gear sett up for the style he is teaching me which Iam very comfortable with. I could not have done this first Cow trip without his assistance and I look froward to many many more. I want more Cows Costa Rica is now put on the back burner.

Concern has been brought up before and will again. I fished 12-15' max straight Seaguar fluorocarbon top shots into Jerry Brown Line One Hollow Spectra, crimped and glued.. I pulled zero hooks and zero chew offs. If that short of a top shot is problematic in regards to pulled hooks I don't see how I was fortunate enough to go 9 for 9. 3 came on the kite but those also had very short top shots, very short. Average top shot was about 12 feet. We had calm seas but none the less keeping a good bend in the rod IMO is all the shock absorbing I needed. These fish have to be pulled up to the surface anyways. So even if there is a small percentage of pulled hooks due to ultra short top shots, which I did not experience ,I don't care because I know Iam getting bit better. Iam far from a expert but I like those ultra short top shots. Different strokes for different folks. Again Iam far from a expert but maybe that's good because its a newbie's results.

I have been reading about these trips for along time now and I have always found it interesting to see what worked and fish pics. For those interested. Besides the jig fish all were taken on JB Hollow, 12-15' Fluorocarbon Seaguar top shots or a short kite leader.

700H, TN30 Cal drag plate, 65lb spectra 50# Big Game. Full size Gold Raider pink prism.
IMG_1510.JPG

rod ?, TI30WLRS, 130lb JB Hollow, 130lb Seaguar Flouro top shot, 12/0 Super Mutu, Greenback chunk.
IMG_1516.JPG

Baja Boomer, Penn 80S, JB Hollow, 300# Flouro top shot, Double trouble with Caballitos 200# Izorline leader, 6/0 Gorrilas.
209lbs.
IMG_1532.JPG

Baja Boomer, Penn 80S, JB Hollow, 300lb Flouro, secret death single bait kite hooks, dead flyer, slow trolled.
190ish. Should have weighed, whooops.
IMG_1537.JPG

765H, Accurate 30, toped off with 130lb JB Hollow, 90lb Seaguar flouro top shot, 5/0 Super Mutu, fly line Caballito.
IMG_1547.JPG

765H, Accurate 30, toped off with 130lb JB Hollow, 90lb Seaguar flouro top shot, 5/0 Super Mutut, fly line Caballito.
IMG_1549.JPG

6465xxh, TI30 sleeve bearing upgrade, 80lb JB hollow topped off with 130lb JB Hollow, 90lb Seaguar flouro top shot, 4/0 Super Mutu, fly line Caballito.
IMG_1569.JPG

New Shimano rail rod tried it out, Accurate 50W, JB Hollow, double trouble of Caballito, 200# Izorline leader, 6/0 Gorrilas.
196lbs.
IMG_1570.JPG

6465xxh, TI30 sleeve bearing upgrade, 80lb JB hollow topped off with 130lb JB Hollow, 90lb Seaguar flouro top shot, 4/0 Super Mutu, fly line Caballito.
IMG_1577.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
You da man! Good report, great trip. You are a joy to fish with, let's do it again

Upvote 0

KC Kevin

Go Chiefs!
Feb 6, 2004
Mission Viejo
Visit site
Name
ummm....
Boat
26 Proline WAC
Killer report Brad with great details about gear. Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
One day when I grow up I'll be on one of those trips. Thanks for the post, awesome report and pictures!!!

Upvote 0

MORGS

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2003
Montrose
Name
Morgan
Boat
Boatless
Damm about time was waiting for your report. and it was a great read! and great pics to follow up. damm i need to go on a L.R trip.

Upvote 0

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
Great report...makes me wanna go.

Totally cool you had someone there to show you the in and outs. Good on Wahoodad!

Upvote 0

Fresh One

Feb 10, 2003
Scripps Ranch
Name
Brent
Boat
none
That is an awesome report. Nice fish and great pics. Thanks for all the details on the gear you used.

Upvote 0

Annieo

Jul 6, 2004
San Diego
Name
Depends On Who You Ask
Boat
USS Drama Queen
That's a great report Brad!!! Awesome pictures.

A big congratulations to you and David.

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
Great report
Beautiful pix
Awesome fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
Apr 29, 2004
Santa Monica
Name
j
Boat
VS
You've put in your time Brad and it has paid off. Thanks for the pictures and a great write up.

j

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Thanks dudes.

I forgot this pic and its sick. from left to right.
Frank, Angler Dave, Roy, Billy, Ryan, Eddie, and Anthony. Entire crew but the cheffs. Last Cow of the day coming to gaff.

IMG_1557.JPG

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Yeah, Brad. Been waiting for you to get off your ass, (or was it get shit squared away at work) and write your report. I wanted to read yours because it was your first, and I like your enthusiasm. Nice!

Upvote 0

Dos Locos

DC4LYFE, RIP Derelict #4
Jan 6, 2004
Running Springs, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
Turned it in for an Ultralight Backpack and a couple of thousand miles of trail
That was an AWESOME report B-rad!!! Thanks for all the details bro, I hope I get to be like you one day when I grow up!!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Mots

Aka..."Un Reel"
Feb 5, 2003
San Marcos
Visit site
Name
Mots
Boat
UnReel 25' Wellcraft
Brad, awesome report dude:D Looks like you had a spectacular trip. Congrat's.

Upvote 0

Mstonefish

Captain
Feb 6, 2003
Escondido
Name
Mark
Boat
22' Bayrunner CC 140 Suzuki 4 stroke
Great details and pics w/ the gear used.

Thanks for the fish:D

Upvote 0

Katana

Jan 18, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Paul
Boat
That's freakin EPIC in every sense of the word.
Congratulations Brad on a GREAT adventure and thanks for making us all drool.
Great PICS and even greater story.
Simply awesome, it truly is a life experience....

Upvote 0

bajabaron

Back in the Day...
Dec 11, 2003
South Bay
Name
Chad Baron
Boat
Nada
I have heard the story first hand numerous times already, but it was just as fun reading the report and seeing the pics all over again. So glad that the trip panned out for you guys. I was holding my breath there for the 2.5 long days it took to get from Clipperton to HB.

The fish that was kept in the fresh tank is simply amazing. We have had to freeze it since 5 star processed it and when it defrosts you can't even tell it was ever frozen. Tasty, tasty stuff. Beyond tasty.

Thanks for sharing, Brad. Lucky to have some serious masters teaching you the way. :)

Can't wait to eventually coordinate a long trip we can take together.

Upvote 0

bajabaron

Back in the Day...
Dec 11, 2003
South Bay
Name
Chad Baron
Boat
Nada
misuse said:
Yeah B-Rad. Slayin the YFT. Should we have expected less? Nice pix dood! Which one is getting framed?

For me, it's the 170 on the raider. That one is going to be somewhere visible in my house or office. Awesome catch. Brad got his revenge on the Trinidad 30. He was using the same reel off the East Cape last July for my wedding weekend and lost an estimate 85 lber about 15 feet from the boat when his Trini broke (one of the gears slipped, making the handle spin backwards- anti-reverse or dog?). Cool to see him regain his angling honor by putting the wood to a fish twice the size. Amazing catch- plus- it's just a sweeeeeeeeet picture.

Upvote 0