Dexter Outdoors

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I'm a once-a-year LR guy. So, about this time each year I sit out by my pool with what little spare time I have and practice knots to get ready for my upcoming trip. The past few years I have been using the Bob Sands knot to connect fluoro to braid. It's fairly involved for a schlub like me but it holds like steel. So, I was going over my notes the past few days and stumbled upon the Royal Polaris knot (also John Collins). Does anybody know how that one holds up in terms of strength? It's a good-looking knot that looks pretty simple. I remember seeing Frank demonstrate this one at a demo at the one LR shop we had up here in Sacotamotoes (shop long gone now).

Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I will be using it. It is quick and easy to tie, and has a small profile. At FH this year, Lo Prieste taught it at his seminars, so that is a pretty good recommendation.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
If it's good enough for John Collins........;)

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Reactions: beavisjohn
Upvote 0

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
Been using the RP for years. tuna up to 95 on #40. Works for me.

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
The JC (RP) knot is not recommended for line over 60# test. It's fine for the lighter stuff, easy to tie and very low profile. Here's something maybe even John Collins himself doesn't know about the JC knot...A single drop of Tac glue on the JC knot and you can use it on the heavy stuff.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Thanks for the prompt feedback, guys. I'll give it a whirl.

Upvote 0

CutnKick

Mar 21, 2012
Hercules Ca
Name
Alex
Boat
Nutso
I don't get why the JC knot or improved Albright would be weaker than the Bob Sands or Toy Pena since isn't the wrap part of it the part that actually ties the spectra to the flouro? I thought that the first knot on the Bob Sands was essentially to hold the the thing together to make the multiple wraps, ie not that important

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
I don't get why the JC knot or improved Albright would be weaker than the Bob Sands or Toy Pena since isn't the wrap part of it the part that actually ties the spectra to the flouro? I thought that the first knot on the Bob Sands was essentially to hold the the thing together to make the multiple wraps, ie not that important
I have pulled on the Bob Sands knot like a shaved ape (see photo) many times and am impressed by its strength.

Reactions: CutnKick
Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
ask the deckhands what they prefer when you get on the boat some like the tony pena others the bob sands I like the jc knot for my light stuff >40 never had a problem
get a 1/2" dowel rod rap with flex rap 8" is plenty long enough so you can pull the knot solid and they store easy in your tackle box. have a good trip
flex rap will keep it from slipping

Upvote 0

bowrider3

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
none
The JC knot is strong but IMHO the bob sands knot is superior (although harder to learn). If you already know how to tie it I wouldn't switch especially if you have a chance at bigger fish. Have caught multiple tuna over 100lb on it. Plus the tag end sits better for casting.

Reactions: CutnKick
Upvote 0

chamackO

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
The JC (RP) knot is not recommended for line over 60# test. It's fine for the lighter stuff, easy to tie and very low profile. Here's something maybe even John Collins himself doesn't know about the JC knot...A single drop of Tac glue on the JC knot and you can use it on the heavy stuff.

So with the tac glue, would you use the JC knot on line over 60#??

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Tied up some knots in my poolside session and that RP knot goes together really simply. Maybe I'll put a Bob Sands on my 80# rig.

Looking forward to putting the wood to some fatties next week. Praying to the tuna gods for some slob yellowfin...

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    I'm a once-a-year LR guy. So, about this time each year I sit out by my pool with what little spare time I have and practice knots to get ready for my upcoming trip. The past few years I have been using the Bob Sands knot to connect fluoro to braid. It's fairly involved for a schlub like me but it holds like steel. So, I was going over my notes the past few days and stumbled upon the Royal Polaris knot (also John Collins). Does anybody know how that one holds up in terms of strength? It's a good-looking knot that looks pretty simple. I remember seeing Frank demonstrate this one at a demo at the one LR shop we had up here in Sacotamotoes (shop long gone now).

Think that would be the Roy Rose knot which is different then the Bob Sands knot.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Good luck on your trip, Dave. Have fun and land some!!

Tied up some knots in my poolside session and that RP knot goes together really simply. Maybe I'll put a Bob Sands on my 80# rig.

Looking forward to putting the wood to some fatties next week. Praying to the tuna gods for some slob yellowfin...

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Think that would be the Roy Rose knot which is different then the Bob Sands knot.

Brad, the "Roy Rose" is just a Surgeon's loop, for fishing a dropper loop. Not a knot for connecting braid to mono or fluorocarbon.

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 23, 2014
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeff Gray
    Boat
    hell no....
    ask the deckhands what they prefer when you get on the boat some like the tony pena others the bob sands I like the jc knot for my light stuff >40 never had a problem
    get a 1/2" dowel rod rap with flex rap 8" is plenty long enough so you can pull the knot solid and they store easy in your tackle box. have a good trip
    flex rap will keep it from slipping

For the people that want to do this, there are couple of products out there that are easily obtainable and much cheaper than flex wrap. 3M makes a cold shrink product and there is heat shrink available in most electrical supply places.

if you have access to a rod wrapping shop you can usually get some small scraps of flex wrap, but if not check out the others. Its a great tool to have, just make a few and put them in your bag. and if your bunk mate is that guy just put a condom on one and leave it on his pillow, that should keep him out of the stateroom the rest of the trip... chocolate syrup is optional!

Upvote 0