Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I have been Using the RP Knot
with 7 turns both ways and a
1/2 hitch on each end
with no Failures so far.
I used to use the RP knot. I would tie it in pinch if I had to tie something quickly on the boat. 7 turns is about what I used. I however would break the knot at times. It was probably my fault, because a retie would be good to go.

I never had an RP knot fail on a fish because I would pull on it good before using it. I do not like the tag end of the RP knot

The FG i like much more. I like the low profile. It has tested very well. No failure on any fish, though I must admit not catching anything over 40#'s since I started using it a few months ago. The tag end is not an issue.

justin cardenas

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 19, 2014
San Diego
Name
justin cardenas
Boat
"Foul Hooker"
im sure they are both great knots I think just the simplicity of the rp knot it the reason that is my go to. I've seen them both do the job but I haven't seen half as many bad rp knots as I have fg. If you can properly tie the fg knot then great nothing bad to say about it but if you can't master it I recommend the rp.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Good input. Thanks. I didn't wet the line, so I'll try that. Will also try the extra wraps in the last step. I wasn't able to see the Xs but I just bought some cheaters, so that should help. Gonna have to learn another knot too, just in case I can't get this one worked out. I won't be happy until I get at least 30# at knot breakage. BTW, my UNI knots got close to 40# on the 40# mono.
That back to back UNI knot is, for me anyway, a good option.
I mean, if it works, why try to fix it?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I did a trip on the Intrepid last year with Fishy and his pals. I consider myself to be a pretty decent long range fisherman. While the fishing was good, the learning was first class. Sitting and talking to Fishy and hearing is thoughts and strategies was invaluable. Learning how to properly tie the FG knot from Mike Kang was life changing for me in terms of connecting spectra to flouro. I use it with 100% confidence fishing for cow tuna to fishing my private boat for white seabass and everything in between.

Long range fishermen are some of the most innovative fishermen on the planet. I think the reason is that there are so many engineers that use their natural skills and abilities toward constantly looking for better ways of doing the things the rest of us take for granted.

In addition to learning the FG knot , Fishdog Gary taught me how to solder. With his guidance I returned home and purchased everything I needed for less than $100. I can solder any hook, jig, etc. David Henderson was also very helpful with so many different innovations. Silent Jim was the best fisherman on the boat. His fishing rod was an extension of his arm. He is so natural and fluid. I learned a great deal about hook selection and size as well as bait presentation. Jim was constantly hooked up. The best part about fishing with Jim is his humility. He is the consummate gentlemen and is always willing to share what he is doing to get bit.

Again, the fishing was good, the learning was better. I have found that on most long range trips most of the guys are pretty willing to share information. You just need to sit and LISTEN. So many new people want to talk and tell what they know. IMHO that's a mistake as this will be a turn off to many seasoned anglers. If you keep your head down and mouth closed there is soooo much to learn.

Of all of the trips/groups I have fished with, this was by far my favorite long range trip.

Paul is being way too humble ....he is superb big fish angler...very detail oriented and eager to try/learn new things...I learned a lot from him .....IMO to improve at anything one must be open to new and different ideas...if they work how cool is that...if they don't oh well.....I make it a goal to learn something new on every trip, a knot, a hook, a presentation, rigging, hooking techniques etc etc.....

One of my favorite things about LR fishing is meeting new people who become good friends and Paul is in that catagory...I am sure he and I will share the rail agin in the future.

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I just tied and tested my first FG. It didn't look quite right but my FG and my 5 turn uni held for 35# of weight on 80# braid to 40# mono. Will the FG work just as well with lighter braid, say 50#?

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Yes. Finished with half hitches. I think I may have done one in a different direction than the other. The video I watched showed two half hitches, cutting the tag, and then two more to cover the nub. I went, three, cut, three

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
I just tied and tested my first FG. It didn't look quite right but my FG and my 5 turn uni held for 35# of weight on 80# braid to 40# mono. Will the FG work just as well with lighter braid, say 50#?
Hi Greg;
I would be interested in a foto of the broken FG knot. For me, it is harder to tie with lighter line. I find it easier tie if the spectra is level, so i run the spectra from the tip to another guide to level it off and have steady pressure.

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Hi Greg;
I would be interested in a foto of the broken FG knot. For me, it is harder to tie with lighter line. I find it easier tie if the spectra is level, so i run the spectra from the tip to another guide to level it off and have steady pressure.
The FG held tight. It was the RP that failed on 50 braid to 40 mono

greatbasin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
I struggle tying the FG knot between my fingers or with my teeth. I find it much easier and faster to tie the FG with this tool, and hanging it off my belt loop or tackle bag.

IMG_0942.JPG

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yes. Finished with half hitches. I think I may have done one in a different direction than the other. The video I watched showed two half hitches, cutting the tag, and then two more to cover the nub. I went, three, cut, three

I finish mine off with the Rizutto finish much cleaner than half hitches and perhaps stronger the instructions on how to do it are on U tube.... just google FG knot with Rizutto finish

Last edited:

Fincutter

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I struggle tying the FG knot between my fingers or with my teeth. I find it much easier and faster to tie the FG with this tool, and hanging it off my belt loop or tackle bag.

View attachment 869297
That's an interesting idea. It seems like there's always something besides the basic pattern of the knot--like how to hold the line, or how to get the coils to cinch down just right. Unless it's a uni, which is my personal favorite because I haven't found a way to tie it poorly.

BTW, it took me several more attempts but my FG is looking decent. I think that I have a new knot. :lux:

Last edited:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
I finish mine off with the Rizutto finish much cleaner than half hitches and perhaps stronger the instructions on how to do it are on U tube.... just google FG knot with Rizutto finish
The rizutto finish looks like a reverse uni know. Pretty cool. May use it for heavier apps. The line pullers are cool. More stuff to buy....

Reactions: Fincutter

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
FG is all you need ...............Ap

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Dammit! I just googled this....more shit to learn. This looks tight to me. Off to the garage to practice!

Reactions: Fishybuzz

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Me and a few others I know find this to help a lot with the FG.

Amazon product
They have videos on you tube on how it is used but essentially it works like a third hand to hold the leader and spectra and helps make sure the wraps are tight and uniform.

Edit: Here's the video. It is in Japanese with English subtitles.

Last edited:

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Me and a few others I know find this to help a lot with the FG.

Amazon product
They have videos on you tube on how it is used but essentially it works like a third hand to hold the leader and spectra and helps make sure the wraps are tight and uniform.

Edit: Here's the video. It is in Japanese with English subtitles.

Yep Dave (dh515) turned me on to this tool and it makes it much easier to tie the FG...

Reactions: Steel8

Steel8

Why not...
Apr 11, 2015
Eastvale, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
None
I suppose it's not for everybody but, I have no problem tying 130lb with it.

Reactions: dh515