RP knot failure

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Fincutter, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I got a nasty surprise when I actually tested my tying of the RP knot. With 50# spectra and 40# mono, I got breakage at the knot with 20# of weight. I tried twice more with different line and careful tying but the result was pretty much the same. I watched the John Collins video twice more and it sure seems like I'm tying it correctly. I like the RPt's simplicity and small size but wonder about breaking strength. Is there something tricky that you need to do to get it right?

aguachico likes this.
  2. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Might be time to start tying the Bob Sands or the FG knot, they work quite well on the heaver line.

3. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    On the last phase of the knott, try going through twice instead of once.

eli672, peshooter and Fincutter like this.
  4. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I use it and it works really well. Are you wetting the line?

Willdoggy, Darin Dohi and Fincutter like this.
  5. tuner

tuner pysgotwyr

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    260 Mackinaw
    7-9 turns both ways and cross the previous wraps evenly on the way back. Don't let the wraps bunch up, they should all pull down tight.

Two or three extra loops at the end will lock the knot and prevent the tag end from pulling through

peshooter, Fincutter and Chrisben like this.
  6. UnBelievable

UnBelievable F.V. UNBELIEVABLE

Name:
    Norm Campbell
    Boat:
    UnBelievable
    I love this knot. Actually fish with John several times. Number one test the line or floro by itself. In the hot garage????? No Bueno. The other thing is the x wraps are very even, I use 7 for good luck. Leave a tang. This is your indicator on when to re-tie. No matter how good you are the knot will tighten or slip. I tie yo-Zuri pink and you have to be careful on the cinch.....after 4 or five fish the tang will shorten and tell you when to re-tie. The tang I start with is a quarter inch..down to 1/16 is when I re-tie

Joefisherman and Fincutter like this.
  7. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Good input. Thanks. I didn't wet the line, so I'll try that. Will also try the extra wraps in the last step. I wasn't able to see the Xs but I just bought some cheaters, so that should help. Gonna have to learn another knot too, just in case I can't get this one worked out. I won't be happy until I get at least 30# at knot breakage. BTW, my UNI knots got close to 40# on the 40# mono.

8. CHUBACA6

CHUBACA6 Member

Name:
    Oscar
    Boat:
    none yet
    Try the Bob Sands / Tony Pena or FG knots, never had one of those fail as of yet.

Anglewood, apogee, vegasandre and 2 others like this.
  9. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    It helps to wrap the mono around one hand, the spectra around the other and give it a quick pull at the end. This cinches it. I have never had this knot fail. I have pulled too hard and had fluorocarbon fail but never the knot. I used to only use the Bob Sands but switched over a few years ago. Good luck.

Olddog8 and Goosed10 like this.
  10. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    I fished on a trip 4 years ago, where a angler actually landed a cow, it was 238, with that knott. He was the one who told me to go through twice, when you lock it down

jimbo450 and Fincutter like this.
  11. wieisme

wieisme Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    22' IMP
    Not having the line wet to me would be the reason that your knot failed... I also got a pair of line pullers which help me to cinch down

jimbo450 and Fincutter like this.
  12. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I just watched a video on tying the FG and it doesn't look too bad. One of things I don't like is knots that are even slightly tricky to tie correctly. I'm gonna try the FG and then revise my RP based on suggestions above. The Bob Sands looks fine but it seems harder to get right and bulkier than the FG.

13. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    The FG is imo far superior to the "RP" or modified albright as the rest of the world calls it..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  14. rdrrm8e

rdrrm8e Fucking Stan

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    No
    Aaaahhhhhhh....The "Speculum" knot:-)

Fishybuzz likes this.
  15. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I caught a 201 on the Red Rooster with an RP knot last spring. The fish took almost an hour and a half. I used knot pullers and a drop of Tac Glue. It's the only knot I use any more.

jimbo450 likes this.
  16. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    As Yoda said, "DO or DO NOT, there is no TRY."

Always wet the line before cinching any knot.

eli672 and Fincutter like this.
  17. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    LOL. May the force be with my RP (or FG) knots.

18. Fincutter

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    Interesting. I have never used knot glue. Does it go through the guides easily? Haven't used a knot puller either--don't think that I've ever seen one used. What does it add to the process?

19. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Knot Yet
    That light 50lb. spectra is cutting your leader. Double it and the knot will test out much better.

20. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    I did a trip on the Intrepid last year with Fishy and his pals. I consider myself to be a pretty decent long range fisherman. While the fishing was good, the learning was first class. Sitting and talking to Fishy and hearing is thoughts and strategies was invaluable. Learning how to properly tie the FG knot from Mike Kang was life changing for me in terms of connecting spectra to flouro. I use it with 100% confidence fishing for cow tuna to fishing my private boat for white seabass and everything in between.

Long range fishermen are some of the most innovative fishermen on the planet. I think the reason is that there are so many engineers that use their natural skills and abilities toward constantly looking for better ways of doing the things the rest of us take for granted.

In addition to learning the FG knot , Fishdog Gary taught me how to solder. With his guidance I returned home and purchased everything I needed for less than $100. I can solder any hook, jig, etc. David Henderson was also very helpful with so many different innovations. Silent Jim was the best fisherman on the boat. His fishing rod was an extension of his arm. He is so natural and fluid. I learned a great deal about hook selection and size as well as bait presentation. Jim was constantly hooked up. The best part about fishing with Jim is his humility. He is the consummate gentlemen and is always willing to share what he is doing to get bit.

Again, the fishing was good, the learning was better. I have found that on most long range trips most of the guys are pretty willing to share information. You just need to sit and LISTEN. So many new people want to talk and tell what they know. IMHO that's a mistake as this will be a turn off to many seasoned anglers. If you keep your head down and mouth closed there is soooo much to learn.

Of all of the trips/groups I have fished with, this was by far my favorite long range trip.