RP 18 day JB Line One leaving 1-20-19.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Would like, if possible, to chat with others signed up for this trip. Am gearing up carefully, but would love to at least exchange hello with fellow anglers.

I'm 68, semi retired, originally from San Diego, now of Salem, Oregon.

Loc

Upvote 0

italian/chef

Almost A Member
    Nov 7, 2010
    santa barbara
    Name
    pietro
    Hi,
    I will be on the same trip, first timer on the 18 days.
    I consider myself a beginner and I’m really interested in any information or suggestions regarding this trip. I am already in touch with one of the other passenger with more experience for mentoring.
    Thx

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Main thing you will need on that trip is a flexible attitude and the ability to adjust your expectations. It is a long trip with a ton of time to fish. When it is good you will be able to regulate your fishing effort to meet your physical and mental capacity. If the fishing is scratchy, like it can be, you really need to have your head right to keep positive, fishing and working for a bite.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    Main thing you will need on that trip is a flexible attitude and the ability to adjust your expectations. It is a long trip with a tone of time to fish. When it is good you will be able to regulate your fishing effort to meet your physical and mental capacity. If the fishing is scratchy, like it can be, you really need to have your head right to keep positive, fishing and working for a bite.

Good luck to you all.
    Did a 15 day this year on the R.P., my first time on the boat. As i've done many such tripes on other boats I wasn't ecpecting any suprises, but got one anyway. Turns out they have no cups on the boat. They gave us each a plastic cup the first day upon which we were to write our name and were told that it would be our cup for the trip for everything. So my advice to you is bring your own coffee cup as well as any disposable cups you might need.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Did a 15 day this year on the R.P., my first time on the boat. As i've done many such tripes on other boats I wasn't ecpecting any suprises, but got one anyway. Turns out they have no cups on the boat. They gave us each a plastic cup the first day upon which we were to write our name and were told that it would be our cup for the trip for everything. So my advice to you is bring your own coffee cup as well as any disposable cups you might need.
    They were so proud of their new soda machine when last I was with them, about three years ago. I did have trouble keeping track of my cup. I have a couple stainless Calcutta’s now and am building cup holders into my new tackle box.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    18 dayer :D what a dream trip. Did a 14/22 day rp and a 17 dayer, would had been stoked if it was a 18 dayer. Jb was on both trips :) Those trips stand out in the memory bank. If the fish dont show up for a few days you still got time. Or if you arrive on the back end of the cycle you still got time for a new cycle to begin. Maybe get 2 cycles if the timing is right.

If it is slow mid day and no hoo around catch some weird bottom fish. Might add some species to the catch card and see new strange fish. Or a chopa to quanch the feeling of a jig bite and line coming off the reel, in regards to a chopa.

When the ocean and air wildlife behavior changes the big fish are starting to come through

Done 2 sacrifice swims. Each time I went for a swim the kite got bit. Maybe the big fish thought I was a competing predator and was going to eat the kite baits way out LOL then people wanted me to go for a swim

Have a fun trip

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
    Oct 23, 2004
    Harrington Park, NJ
    www.bhptackle.com
    Name
    Basil
    Boat
    Friends With Boats
    I’ve seen people jump in. Not for me, sharks are different these days compared to years back.

Willard:
    Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole f***in' program.

Reactions: Pangamaster
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I’ve seen people jump in. Not for me, sharks are different these days compared to years back.

Willard:
    Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole f***in' program.

Basil,
    Interesting that you should mention that the sharks do seem different now. I was at Clarion in January 1986 on a spearfishing expedition. My friend got the then worlds record yellow fin, and we all shot fish. did not see a shark -- I guess we thought about them a bit, but never a cause for concern there. Now, I don't think I would go in.

Guadalupe, quite different -- killed my friend Al Schneppershoff in 1973, and still a dangerous place to dive.

Certainly by my sampling: the sharks have changed.

Last edited:
    Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I mentioned it was a sacrifice swim. Took one for the team LOL. I don't recommend it. Sorry, Should had said that. My bad

I surf and ski fish with tiger sharks and saltwater crocodiles here. There are saltwater crocs within 100 meters of my house right now

A chopa is a powerful jack

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    I mentioned it was a sacrifice swim. Took one for the team LOL. I don't recommend it. Sorry, Should had said that. My bad

No worries by me, I thought it was cool. As I remember, the current died, and bite was off. Frank sent Ryan in first to do a check.
    As Brad stated, the kite would get bit, and Frank and Big D would order everybody out of the pool.
    For awhile, I was on a quest to go in at every spot: Cedros, Benitos, the 13, 23, Thetis, Hurricane bank, Clarion, Clipperton, Corbatainia (SP), El Banco, Hannibal Bank, ........and yes, Guadalupe, but that is a story all to itself.
    Sorry for the threadjack, the trip is a great trip with some really good dudes on it.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Chopa,

Black Jack https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_jack_(fish)

Black Jack, (Caranx lugubris).jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Interesting looking fish. Made wikipedia. I wonder if it is related to a louvar. (Luvaris Imperialis) Used to be a by-catch of broadbill gill netting.

upload_2018-7-6_13-29-37.png

Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these being caught out of San Diego??
    Is it OK to have highjacked my own thread?

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Interesting looking fish. Made wikipedia. I wonder if it is related to a louvar. (Luvaris Imperialis) Used to be a by-catch of broadbill gill netting.

View attachment 942002

Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these being caught out of San Diego??
    Is it OK to have highjacked my own thread?

Pics of some landed in Hawaii and Cabo but never seen any reports of them caught near San Diego.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Black Jack...

The species appeal as a food fish varies between location, with some regions considering it the best table fish available.
    Despite this, numerous ciguatera poisoning cases have been attributed to the black jack, with laboratory tests confirming the presence of the toxin in the species flesh.

Interesting info...

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Those chopas can be a pain in the balls. The get mixed in with the rainbow runners and all the other junk that builds up when you've been anchored up at the bank for a few days in the same spot. The 1st one is interesting. After that not so much.
    That's such a good length of a trip, you'll have a blast

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Those chopas can be a pain in the balls. The get mixed in with the rainbow runners and all the other junk that builds up when you've been anchored up at the bank for a few days in the same spot. The 1st one is interesting. After that not so much.
    That's such a good length of a trip, you'll have a blast

At night they are a blast on a skip jig. Really fast torpedos vectoring in on your jig...

Reactions: ZZZZZ and locvetter
    Upvote 0