RP 10 Day - Report

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by norcaltunaclub, Dec 6, 2018.

1. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    20 months of planning, coordination and preparation was finally upon us for our Sato Legacy / 310RodWorks / OC Tuna Charter / United Composites 10 Day trip aboard the Royal Polaris. The anticipation was high as we were all excited about the opportunity to fulfilling our last obligation for our dear friend Brent Ikari aka Sato Custom Rods.

On this trip we had the usual suspects from our Summer and Spring trips....a few new faces, but mostly battle tested veterans that have shared the rail with us over the years. The best part…..we had an incredible group of friends that all worked together as a single unit, not a single fish was lost due to a tangle or burn off. Everyone was amazing, helping those who were new to the sport or were having a tough time getting bit. In the end, when you looked at the RP scoreboard, the load of fish were spread out evenly for every angler. Everyone was going home with a lot of fish.

Now to the fishing, we started off @ the Rocks for some decent Wahoo fishing….nothing wide open, but a steady pick. The hot lure was the full size DTX Minnow in Orange Mackeral. That lure was getting bit on every single troll rotation. We tried changing out the stock hooks, big mistake. If you’ve been thinking about this, leave them alone. We tried all sorts of hook options, none of them worked well since they were disrupting the how the lure swims and the fish won’t bite it.

Big Mikey slayed some scissor lips on a 6X Jr in Green / Pink pattern straight tied to 50lb mono. Yes, he donated a few, but he also scored his bounty as well. The small sacrifices are well worth the $7 spent on those jigs. As for myself, I went 0 for 4 grinding a hot pink 6X Jr tied with a 130lb Fluoro leader. Those darn critters were biting my jig from behind, not from the side. All four times I came back with a 10-12” piece of finely clipped 130lb Seaguar Blue Label, all four top shots were originally 3’ long. With time running out at the rocks (due to other boats arriving) I had a change of plans. Decided to grab my Jig Stick with my Okuma Komodo and tied on a big Daiwa Stick bait. One cast with a slow retrieve produced an incredible blow out on my stick bait, it was awesome to watch. A few minutes later, the wahoo was introduced to the RP welcoming committee. Fired out the stick bait a few more times without any bites, our time was up and it was time to head up the line to the Island.

When we arrived at the Island, Capt. Roy said it was going to be “breezy”. Thought to myself “breezy”?? I’ve never heard Roy use that term before. We arrived around 3am and woke up to a stiff 25-30kts morning wind, only to increase to about 35-40kts by mid afternoon. Fish were biting and all of sudden we didn’t care about the wind any more. We had a steady pick on the 60-80lb stock class, with a few stand out 100+lbrs. This would be the trend for the remainder of our stay, until we approached the last 3 hours of trip.

Right around 3:30pm, the other Roy was scrapping it out on the bow with a big un on 60lb gear…after an hour or so, he was welcomed aboard. Taped out at 130lbs. About 30 minutes later, Racecar drops a 155lbr on the deck, a few minutes later another 150 hits the deck, then a 175 arrives, now it’s close to sun down and the bite continues to escalate at a rapid pace. Watching all of these big uns coming over the rail had me thinking……should I soak one more bait before we need to leave? Heck yeah. Grabbed my 60lb rig (big mistake) and pin on a big mackeral, 5 seconds later it’s bit. Hour later, the RP crew sinks the gaff in the final 2 fish before we call it a trip. A respectable 130lb and 125lb to cap off an amazing trip and final send off from our dear friend, Brent Ikari.

Everything on this trip was outstanding….the RP Crew, Food, Fishing, Laughter, Humor, Libations, and a bunch of talented, respectable fish killing Passengers. I know we’ll all be talking about this trip for many more years to come. RP Livin’!

PC020425.JPG PC020430.JPG PC020442.JPG PC020456.JPG PC020458.JPG DSC00084.JPG DSC00094.JPG PB260072.JPG PB260079.JPG PB290211.JPG PB290216.JPG PB290247.JPG PB260053.JPG PB260066.JPG PC020444.JPG Rose Doug Dave.jpg DSC00100.JPG DSC00102.JPG PB240022.JPG PB260062.JPG PB260106.JPG PB260108.JPG PB290225.JPG PB290234.JPG PB290241.JPG PB300308.JPG PB300309.JPG PB300336.JPG stickbait fish.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Darin Dohi, 5-20, T.O.T.W. and 26 others like this.
  2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
  3. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Nice!

I thought to myself that the one guy looked a lot like Marciano, until I saw the last few pics and realized that it was, indeed.

Fish Asassin and norcaltunaclub like this.
  4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, Doug. How long did it take Dave to realize there were no rod holders on the rail and he would have to hold the rod himself when he had a fish to bring in?

norcaltunaclub and NaplesJohn like this.
  5. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I'm sure he loves eating 5 Star food, and sleeping
    in A air condition Stateroom , after A nice hot Shower,
    and not having all the Stress of Running his own Boat.

norcaltunaclub likes this.
  6. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Steve - we told him there are 2 rod holders on the boat, your left hand or your right hand...take a pick!

7. locvetter

locvetter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Fun to hear!

8. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    Thanks for leaving some at the rocks for us. We came in behind you and then fought “breezy” all the way home

locvetter and norcaltunaclub like this.
  9. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    epic Doug

10. yknot

yknot Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grady
    Boat:
    None
    Sounds like lots a fun and a great time! Thanks for the write up and photos.

11. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    What an awesome trip! Glad ya got em!!!

12. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    Great report! And even cooler Marciano was on the trip with you guys. My favorite tuna captain on wicked tuna.

13. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Thanks, great report!

Love those heftier models at the "Tail" end!

Tight lines.

14. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    Great report and pictures,,,,,Thanks! for sharing with us.

josa1

15. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    My 10 day 1 month ago, Dtx ruled supreme! I gave away a gold glow Dtx 200 in a drawing, it caught 20 + wahoo! It had no paint left on it and was still catching. They got absolutely hammered. Gold glow, nuclear coral trout, pink mackeral, black pink mackeral, orange mackeral. Saw one fish come off, angler error. Im not affiliated with them, but I don't think I'm going out without a couple in my quiver. Glad you had a great trip!

16. back-breaker

back-breaker Member

Name:
    Jim Simondet
    Boat:
    22 foot Boston Whaler Outrage
    My dtx was 1 for 1 at the rocks. Moved the front hook up based on input from crew because of the breaks occurring. I fished it with 18 inches of 150 black water.

Cubeye and locvetter like this.
  17. flickfish

flickfish Newbie

Name:
    Nic
    Boat:
    New Huck Finn
    A couple of observations on the DTX minnows for this trip on top of keeping the stock hooks is that a short leader (12"-18") swam better than a long leader. The rubber sleeve on the clip of pre-made trolling harnesses impacted action as well to the point where the lure kept jumping out of the water. If the lure jumped out of the water here and there, letting it go further back out helped. But the most important factor is: do not swap out the stock hooks! It makes sense, these lures were tuned with that hardware in mind, anything else will throw it off balance.

I used hot pink mackerel with a 12"-18" trolling harnesses, no rubber sleeve on clip, clip inverted, stock hooks and went 3/3 on the troll until the bill snapped in half.. Happened on another DTX as well.

In terms of Wahoo, as Doug mentioned, 6X Jr was hot. Green wahoo bombs were completely out fished by those little jigs. Bombs in general didn't seem to be anywhere near as effective as the 6X Jr.

18. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Thanks for the report Doug. I was following you guys closely on FB and it looks like you had an epic trip. Sure do wish I could have been there to share the rail with the whole crew again but I guess that will have to wait until Summer.

-Connor

19. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Wow
    Just Wow. .
    Thanks for a great report Doug . You guys slayed em

20. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Nice Trip indeed, what a fun time eh ? Congrats on the epic adventure with such good people Doug. Yew!