RP 10 day report - octunaclub.com charter

Dexter Outdoors
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
RP 10 day / OC Tuna SATO Legacy Charter 11/28 to 12/08.

Checked in @ 7:30am - Everyone was asked to take a COVID test within 72 hours of departure and had to bring a print out of their negative test results. Good thing we did. 2 of our regulars had to cancel the day before our departure since one of their household members tested positive. We avoided a potential disaster for sure and this was by far our best move for the entire group.

Left on 11/28 @ 8:30am with 24 passengers.

Arrived at the Rocks. Said "HI" to Brent Ikari. We only captured 3 wahoo. Drank cold beer.

Ditched the wahoo and went to Alijos Bank – Kicked the sh** out of the big yellows (35-40lbrs). We also kicked the bejeezus out of some beer too that day...

Spent the night, trolled around the Rocks one more time the next morning for zero wahoo.

Said adios to trolling and went to fish the pole. Big YT kept taking us straight into the Pole and rocks. Kept losing gear. We bailed, eff it. Drank beer(s)….lot of them.

Took off for the Ridge. Found the wahoo and put a nice load on the boat to 53lbs. Marciano didn’t want to “hurt” the fish with his wahoo bombs. hahahaha

Found all of the YFT we wanted. Aquarium style fishing. Jack poling is fun. Drinking beer is fun.

Worked our way back up the line and got off the train tracks. Found “Sheep head City”.

Made a half mile move and the YT started chewing the paint off our jigs. Gun Slingers dream…….surface iron bite was epic. YoYo bite was also spectacular. The cold beer was also epic and spectacular.

With a boat load and near limits of YT, YFT, Wahoo, Sheep head and few grouper, we headed straight to Tanner

Arrived at Tanner with only one other boat. Put 63 BFT in the boat (40-60lbrs) for our last day of fishing. Big fun and an epic trip.

Capt. Roy, Big D, Eddie, Tommie, Ulysses, Treven, Dave and Fernando

A more detailed report on this trip will be published in the new year.

bft1.jpgDSC03346.JPGPC010513.JPGPC010572.JPGPC010573.JPGPC030655.JPGPC010586.JPG

PC030674.JPG

PC030676.JPG

PC030685.JPG

PC040714.JPG

PC040724.JPG

PC060831.JPG

PC0808731.JPG

PC010538.JPG

PC080878.JPGPC080880.JPG

PC080888.JPG

fall 10.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Did the boat run out of beer?

Nah. Around 10-12 of us each brought a case or two of craft / preferred brands and whiskey and we put a few community coolers on the deck for all to enjoy. Some dove in after victory and some dove in after defeat. Most dove in after breakfast........

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Where’s the beer pics? WTF?

And it looked like an awesome time out there.

The ice cold beers were just epic! We always had 1-3 going from dawn to dusk.... Biting fish kept getting in the way and interrupting this process. My new beer god....Tommy Akins. That dude was laying down some serious lashes on his beer tab in the galley. They had to put in a fresh sheet every single day because of him....no joke! Fishing was okay......

Reactions: Wandering Blues
Upvote 0

2454 big mike

Aug 31, 2015
Ramona
Name
Mike
Boat
Party crasher
Dave is so damn funny.....he's feeling way too comfortable with our group now as this was his 3rd Fall RP Trip with us. He's one of the homies' now....hahaha
I got to fish with him last year on the tuna wars trip. Non stop puns. I had a blast. This year got covid cancelled. I’m already signed up for next year.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Best trip I've been on, period.

Atta Boy Nicky!!!! You kicked some serious ass and had some outrageous comedy on this trip. Best lines that I'll remember from this trip.

This all took place at Alijos Bank while fishing for jumbo YT.

Nic: "Dougie....how many YT you got?"
Me: "only 2"
Nic: "I got 4...." (snickering)
Me: LMAO!!!!

Next morning.....

Me: "Um...5 I think"
Nic: "I got 8..." (snickering)
Me: LMAO!!!!!

Man we had so much fun on this trip!

Upvote 0

flickfish

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
Atta Boy Nicky!!!! You kicked some serious ass and had some outrageous comedy on this trip. Best lines that I'll remember from this trip.

This all took place at Alijos Bank while fishing for jumbo YT.

Me: "only 2"
Nic: "I got 4...." (snickering)
Me: LMAO!!!!

Next morning.....

Me: "Um...5 I think"
Nic: "I got 8..." (snickering)
Me: LMAO!!!!!

Man we had so much fun on this trip!

After being on the receiving end of your smack talk for years now, I finally had something to back my talk this trip. It felt good seeing you at a loss for words..

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
After being on the receiving end of your smack talk for years now, I finally had something to back my talk this trip. It felt good seeing you at a loss for words..

That was a pure gold moment! Remember it was just a "temporary imaginative" loss of words...... Long trip, it's not how you start...it's about staying constant and in the moment and knowing how to finish! No "B-ville" like 1.5 day Dave.... Fun times Nicky!

Upvote 0