Royal Star 7 day report (6/26-7/3)

kml

Oct 29, 2008
Vista
Name
Kyle
Boat
66 MUSTANG
After a few years of doing short 3-4 day trips I decided to go a bit longer. BFT & YT are my favorite types to eat so I booked a spring 7 day on the Royal star. Its been several years since I have fished the Star and they did not disappoint. Randy was our Captain on this trip, Blake, Diego, Oscar & Mike were on deck. I arrived at the dock about 8AM Saturday the 26th, the boat was already unloaded from previous trip & off getting bait. We boarded about 10 AM & Started out heading straight for Alijos Rocks. 2/3 of the way there the Captain got word that water was green & no fish at the rocks.

We took a left and headed for yellows in the shallows... We got on some biters Sunday evening, they were hitting flyline bait & I did well on the yoyo ( Salas 6X heavy blue & white was my go to jig ) The fish were smaller grade, 15-20# but still a lot of fun to catch. We were getting pestered by the seals so we continued to move around looking for bigger fish Sunday evening thru Monday evening. We got on some bigger ones late Monday evening ( 30# fish ) same thing, flyline & YOYO were productive, a few on the surface Iron. Dropper loop at night produced a couple nice fish. Again the seals were thick so it was time to move North to the BFT grounds.

We traveled on Tuesday & got to the BFT area on Wed. A shit ton of fish everywhere, jumping, breezing, boiling, foaming, but VERY reluctant to bite anything. Randy was non stop looking for a biting school, but they were few & far between. We would get one here & there, mostly on flyline bait a Long ways from the boat. We chased them Wed & Thursday for a handful of fish. Nothing huge, mostly school type fish. 20-40#. Flat falls at night was not very productive either, we got a couple, the biggest being a 190# beautiful fish, & another about 110#. Thursday night we moved 80 miles South again & were fishing tuna on Friday AM. We finally got on some mixed schools of BFT & YFT that would bite Friday after lunch til sundown. This final afternoon of fishing pretty much saved the trip, everyone on board ended up with at least one Tuna in the RSW. They were biting consistently throughout the afternoon, never really wide open, but steady & if you put in the work you were rewarded.

Note !! Bring the big gear, there are some BIG fish out there, I was almost spooled in a matter of seconds fishing 80# ( sinker rig ) on a Fathom 40nld. ( It is the heaviest outfit I brought, but I'll upsize before the next trip ) My RP connection came undone with just a few wraps of spectra on the spool. I lost the fish, but at least kept the spectra. That fish never slowed down for a second. Oscar was by my side watching it go & go, he pointed out the reel was literally smoking after the fish broke off. 100% my fault, but still EXCITING as HELL....

Most school size fish were caught on 30# floro & we even had to drop down to 25 at times to get a bite, small #2 & #4 hooks

Additional Notes, the Royal Star is a fantastic organization, from the office, the galley crew putting out great meals & snacks, The Deckhands were fun & helpful. Randy was a machine chasing those fish non stop, he was driving so much we barely saw him. Fisherman's processing did a great job on my fish, I was on the road back home by 9:30 am on Sat.

I ended up processing 8 YT & 2 BFT. Plenty of fish for my family, Had some friends over for grilled YT tacos & BFT sashimi on the 4th with cold beer & fireworks, a great end to a great trip. Looking forward to the next time !!

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT and info. Randy and Royal Star great boat.
    NO pics? The BD gang likes PICS!! Bloody Decks !! LOL

BEEF.jpg

Reactions: kml
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I hate to repeat the sacrilege, but the RP knot SUCKS!
    After a few years of doing short 3-4 day trips I decided to go a bit longer. BFT & YT are my favorite types to eat so I booked a spring 7 day on the Royal star. Its been several years since I have fished the Star and they did not disappoint. Randy was our Captain on this trip, Blake, Diego, Oscar & Mike were on deck. I arrived at the dock about 8AM Saturday the 26th, the boat was already unloaded from previous trip & off getting bait. We boarded about 10 AM & Started out heading straight for Alijos Rocks. 2/3 of the way there the Captain got word that water was green & no fish at the rocks.

We took a left and headed for yellows in the shallows... We got on some biters Sunday evening, they were hitting flyline bait & I did well on the yoyo ( Salas 6X heavy blue & white was my go to jig ) The fish were smaller grade, 15-20# but still a lot of fun to catch. We were getting pestered by the seals so we continued to move around looking for bigger fish Sunday evening thru Monday evening. We got on some bigger ones late Monday evening ( 30# fish ) same thing, flyline & YOYO were productive, a few on the surface Iron. Dropper loop at night produced a couple nice fish. Again the seals were thick so it was time to move North to the BFT grounds.

We traveled on Tuesday & got to the BFT area on Wed. A shit ton of fish everywhere, jumping, breezing, boiling, foaming, but VERY reluctant to bite anything. Randy was non stop looking for a biting school, but they were few & far between. We would get one here & there, mostly on flyline bait a Long ways from the boat. We chased them Wed & Thursday for a handful of fish. Nothing huge, mostly school type fish. 20-40#. Flat falls at night was not very productive either, we got a couple, the biggest being a 190# beautiful fish, & another about 110#. Thursday night we moved 80 miles South again & were fishing tuna on Friday AM. We finally got on some mixed schools of BFT & YFT that would bite Friday after lunch til sundown. This final afternoon of fishing pretty much saved the trip, everyone on board ended up with at least one Tuna in the RSW. They were biting consistently throughout the afternoon, never really wide open, but steady & if you put in the work you were rewarded.

Note !! Bring the big gear, there are some BIG fish out there, I was almost spooled in a matter of seconds fishing 80# ( sinker rig ) on a Fathom 40nld. ( It is the heaviest outfit I brought, but I'll upsize before the next trip ) My RP connection came undone with just a few wraps of spectra on the spool. I lost the fish, but at least kept the spectra. That fish never slowed down for a second. Oscar was by my side watching it go & go, he pointed out the reel was literally smoking after the fish broke off. 100% my fault, but still EXCITING as HELL....

Most school size fish were caught on 30# floro & we even had to drop down to 25 at times to get a bite, small #2 & #4 hooks

Additional Notes, the Royal Star is a fantastic organization, from the office, the galley crew putting out great meals & snacks, The Deckhands were fun & helpful. Randy was a machine chasing those fish non stop, he was driving so much we barely saw him. Fisherman's processing did a great job on my fish, I was on the road back home by 9:30 am on Sat.

I ended up processing 8 YT & 2 BFT. Plenty of fish for my family, Had some friends over for grilled YT tacos & BFT sashimi on the 4th with cold beer & fireworks, a great end to a great trip. Looking forward to the next time !!

Nice report and always love the almost-got-spooled stories. I don't care what anyone says, the RP knot sucks. Same happened to me on a 50lb or so bluefin. All Tony Pena from then.

kml
    kml
    I’m not thrilled with the RP knot either. I’m sure the knot coming undone was due to my tying of it. My dislike comes from the way the tag end of the floro points towards the hook. Probably just the way I tied it, but that little tag end would just slightly catch the rod guides. Also caught my thumb and finger tape a couple times . In the past I used loop to loop and may just go back to those.
    Upvote 0