Royal Star 4 day - july 15 - what to expect

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Kris K, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Kris K

Kris K Member

Name:
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat:
    Fillet Show
    First LR trip getting close. Starting to pack and get fired up. Any one have predictions of what this trip may have in store for us? Reports seem to indicate that conditions are starting to change....yt, bft, yft? Any chance we may encounter dorado?

Any thoughts would be appteciated

2. chef tom

chef tom Member

Name:
    tom waggoner
    Boat:
    none
    Dammmmm goooood food !!!!

3. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    the ocean once again will be wet...there will be baitfish in their tanks ,beers and other beverages consumed but this year for this one trip there will be no fish stories tolerated

4. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    Offshore 1 day, YT fishing at island the next, and1 more offshore the last day.

Paddy's will be explored and a chance for dodo's, but have not heard of any abundance yet.

I would think plenty of YFT and YT is in your future.

Bring floutocarbon and jigs for YT.

5. charlyhustle

charlyhustle Trying to kill fish...

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Sold them...
    You're probably getting skunked

Kris K likes this.
  6. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    I've been on several 4 and 4.5 day trips during that time period. You don't have enough time to make it down to Cedros but often they will go to Colnet and fish for yellows or they might head out to the Cortez and Tanner banks for a couple of days. If the big blufin are still around they might spend a day or two chasing them so you have to be ready for everything 25 lb to 60 or even an 80 lb bait outfit. You will need some jigs for yoyo, some flatfalls and some 16 oz sinkers for drooperloop. Throw in some 40, 50 and 60 lb fluro and some 1/0, 2/0, and 4/0 hooks and you should be in good shape.

7. Kris K

Kris K Member

Name:
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat:
    Fillet Show
    Nice, thanks for that.. Ive found it hard to get usable forecasting from the reports since they rarely reference the length of trip they are on or how far they are fishing.

8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Hey Kris. I'll be on that trip. Feel free to fire questions at me. This is my first 4-day, having done mostly longer trips in the past (6 and 8-dayers). I think this will be a bit of run-and-gun for some yf tuna and a little yoyo for yellowtail. I hope the fat bluefin are about as we could be in the middle of them. Good 40, 50, and 80-pound rigs should do the trick. This is a very good boat that takes great care of the catch. I hope Tim is driving because that guy is a fishing machine.

9. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Kris,

Whatever happens, expect to have fun and do some fishing...hopefully some catching too!

- Jeff Burroughs

10. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Hopefully you will be driftng off san clemente catching big bluefin tuna and making bait each night at the island and sleeping in calm water. One can hope anyway.

11. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I wouldn't write off Cedros or Benitos as a possible venue. If the Yellows are biting, you can get a limit pretty quickly and get back to hunting for tuna. Sure would be great if the Bluefin would get their fill of Anchovy! Starting to see some scores on Yellowfin, too. Should be a lot of fun. Those guys dig killing fish.

12. marcusmillo

marcusmillo Israel Supporter

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    And they Dorado's are on the kelps now.

13. Kris K

Kris K Member

Name:
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat:
    Fillet Show
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been training tirelessly for months. My neighbors have come full circle....first thinking i was off my rocker for spending so much time casting soft plastics in the street....then becoming fully accustomed to it, going so far as to grow curious when i take a few days off. I have measured my surface iron cast between 180 and 195 feet. I have done packing dry runs and tied nearly 1000 knots at my bench. If i put 1/2 this much effort into my career i could be living in a much bigger house

14. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yep, that's about it.

Also, practicing casting is great. But, looking back on it - I almost never cast a bait. I see guys doing it pretty often but, for me, the risk/reward ratio never seemed promising enough. I like to get a rowdy bait, gently drop it down, let it good a good look at the boat and tear off for the horizon. If it stays on top you'll even see a tuna nail it 50 yards out - VERY FUN. I did spend a couple days casting wahoo jigs on the last trip. The thumb skills came back after about 30 minutes.

15. Kris K

Kris K Member

Name:
    Kristopher Kent
    Boat:
    Fillet Show
    We depart for San Diego in less than 4 days. Reports from the RS over the last few days have been looking great! Anticipate a couple days offshore on paddies and looking for tuna and a day or so inshore for hamachi. Some of you may have seen the reports of bft to 225 and big schools of bft in the 60-80 lb class. I am told to be prepared with 80 lb fluoro for these big girls. Question: can i use my talica 12 or torium 30 with 80 lb? Can i drop 80 fluoro on 80 lb spectra?

Thx.

Also, anywhere near fishermens landing worth a few casts from shore the night before the trip?

16. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    It all depends if they turn left or right out of the harbor. South has been seeing smaller yellowfin, dorado, and yellowtail. Outside or north the boats are reporting seeing bluefin from 60 to 300+. With the bite the new lo-an has had the last couple of trips and being a 4 day I would expect them to be targeting the bigger bluefin. The fish right now are starting to bite bait and the flat falls pretty well. Poppers are still working, but not like a couple of weeks ago. Some yellows and dorados on the paddies also.

17. PheasantHunter

PheasantHunter Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    WishIHadOne
    I got off an 8 day on the Royal Star, July 3rd. We didn't even look at the bluefin, the yellowfin further south weren't much more cooperative. Hopefully, that changes for your trip. The yellows were a blast.

18. Tar Pit

Tar Pit I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    The Red Rooster is on a 4-day trip now. They do a great job of posting on their web site and facebook page. Good luck to you and please make a report.

19. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Question: can i use my talica 12 or torium 30 with 80 lb? Can i drop 80 fluoro on 80 lb spectra?

Yes. You'll get enough pressure buttoned down. The heavy leader is mostly for abrasion resistance