I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Short and only report no pictures. No pictures. The BFT we caught looked just the same as the ones caught last week and the week before. Size 50-185#.

Fish and boats focused on the 425 area. You will not be lonely out there. Bite never went crazy but was a 24/3 event. No long rides looking for fish just a lot of stops to find biters. Fish were generally 30 to 50 Fathoms. Baits in order of effectiveness were colt snipers which took as many fish as the other methods combined. Snipers worked best vertically. Throwing at breezers was fun but not productive. Sinker rig and then flat falls. The flat falls that worked were all varieties and were mostly in heavier weights (300-250g). Glow zebra was probably the most effective, but it was also used the most. Only a couple of flyline fish.

The fish are mixed in size and because they are deep forget the 40# and below. All light fluro leaders did for those the used them was give them some exercise but no fish to tag. Hit the 60 and 80#.

The size an quality of the bait we had was excellent.

No sure what the final count was but everybody except one poor soul caught at least one fish. He did go home with a fish though. Some had 6 or 7.

That guy couldn’t make the trip so it was a very congenial enjoyable group of experienced and in experienced fishermen and The Royal Star team did their usual amazing job. Front office, wheelhouse, deck, galley we’re all on their “A” game as usual. There is a reason the boat is booked solid most of the time.

Go get some. It’s amazing fishing right now.

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
Snipers mostly 100g, some 120g. Mostly light colors but all seemed to get bit. Not sure what was best but on the drop, snapping it and fast retrieve all worked. Fluro is a choice but my opinion is as caballo del mar said I think you get bit better and it's more abrasion resistant. The abrasion resistance is really important with the BFT. Those varmints have serious teeth. More than a few fish were lost to bite offs. I use it on the snipers as well as the those fish can and will suck the sniper clear down to the gills. It seems strange using 3 foot of 60# fluro on a 100g lure but when the fish is a 100# plus bft I feel you need it for the abrasion.

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
Change out treble......

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Snipers mostly 100g, some 120g. Mostly light colors but all seemed to get bit. Not sure what was best but on the drop, snapping it and fast retrieve all worked. Fluro is a choice but my opinion is as caballo del mar said I think you get bit better and it's more abrasion resistant. The abrasion resistance is really important with the BFT. Those varmints have serious teeth. More than a few fish were lost to bite offs. I use it on the snipers as well as the those fish can and will suck the sniper clear down to the gills. It seems strange using 3 foot of 60# fluro on a 100g lure but when the fish is a 100# plus bft I feel you need it for the abrasion.
Thanks for the report! Sorry to miss this weekend.

Try bridling the colt snipers with circle hooks. You can fish lighter leader, get better hookups, fewer losses, and more action on the lure meaning more bites. Not saying its always better, but for the bigger fish, it certainly helps.

Professor

Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
There had to be over a hundred rods on the boat with flat falls and snipers hanging on them. The rigging options seemed to be unlimited and continuing to evolve during the trip. Each method has its positives and negatives. Changing the hook arrangements also gives you something to do and discuss between stops.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
When fishing the sinker rig during the day, 60-80#, is fluorocarbon really needed?
If for no other reason, fluoro sinks and mono floats. Where are those fish hanging?

I know you said sinker, but dragging all that kack down with a 3½ oz lure, every little bit helps.
@Professor

Upvote 0

Eric Ancog

Almost A Member
  • Mar 3, 2018
    Lakewood
    Name
    Eric Ancog
    Boat
    Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
    Short and only report no pictures. No pictures. The BFT we caught looked just the same as the ones caught last week and the week before. Size 50-185#.

Fish and boats focused on the 425 area. You will not be lonely out there. Bite never went crazy but was a 24/3 event. No long rides looking for fish just a lot of stops to find biters. Fish were generally 30 to 50 Fathoms. Baits in order of effectiveness were colt snipers which took as many fish as the other methods combined. Snipers worked best vertically. Throwing at breezers was fun but not productive. Sinker rig and then flat falls. The flat falls that worked were all varieties and were mostly in heavier weights (300-250g). Glow zebra was probably the most effective, but it was also used the most. Only a couple of flyline fish.

The fish are mixed in size and because they are deep forget the 40# and below. All light fluro leaders did for those the used them was give them some exercise but no fish to tag. Hit the 60 and 80#.

The size an quality of the bait we had was excellent.

No sure what the final count was but everybody except one poor soul caught at least one fish. He did go home with a fish though. Some had 6 or 7.

That guy couldn’t make the trip so it was a very congenial enjoyable group of experienced and in experienced fishermen and The Royal Star team did their usual amazing job. Front office, wheelhouse, deck, galley we’re all on their “A” game as usual. There is a reason the boat is booked solid most of the time.

Go get some. It’s amazing fishing right now.

I was on this trip with you and i must agree that the Royal Star is an excellent operation from the crew, the boat, the food, and service is top notch. It was my first time fishing this boat and Brian Simms our captain is really fishy and and worked his tail off to put us on the fish. I caught limits of BFT with 3 of the BFT in the #100 range. 4 of the BFT were caugth on jigs and 2 on sinker rigs. 3 of the BFT were caught on Tady TSP flat fall type jigs and one at 250g and 2 on 120g. The colt sniper I used was a 120g blue/chrome with an upgraded single hook. I actually got lucky and landed 2 BFT on sinker rigs with #40 and #50 flouro leaders with 6 oz torpedo and 1/0 owner mutu hook. I took a chance on the sinker rig during the day because the BFT grade was slightly smaller on average #50-70 class with some bigger grade mixed in too. My colt sniper BFT was about #100 that I hooked up on the slide. The fish hit it on the drop but missed it, so I put it in gear and started reeling in and a couple of seconds later it turned around and smashed my jig. I had my colt sniper with an #80 flouro leader.

On the last stop of the trip on the last night, the only people that were fishing were the captain and the deckhands trying to hook up for that one poor soul without any fish. Brian said he was marking some excellent grade of fish #120 and over so I grab my buddys rod with a flatfall jig and drop it down. All my gear had been broken down as I had already reached my limit. One thing I did learn while watching Brian, was the way he worked jig. He was pumping his rod with a half turn on the reel. I guess to what I think is about 30 fathoms down and start working the jig like Brian and 3 pumps later I on!! Biter!!!! I yelled and hand the rod of to one of the decckhands who hand the rod off to that last guy without a fish. I think this guy fought for like 5 min then hands the rod back to the deckhand. The deckhand fights this fish for about half and hour and unfortunately breaks off at color. It was a valiant fight on a quality fish that looked about #130-150.

Overall this was a great trip with some really good fishing on on some excellent grade of tuna. I think the boat had at least 30 fish over 100 lbs. The food was great and we had a really fun group of anglers. I made some new friends on this trip and looking forward to fishing with them again in the future. My hats off to the Royal Star and crew for making this trip special!!

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

Upvote 0

Latest posts