Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Have only fished Intrepid once, an 11 day November 2008 and have not fished Royal Star, but I do fish the Angler regularly, similar hull. I enjoy the Angler and greatly look forward to two trips, 8 day September 30 and 14 day January 10. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to my next adventure on the Rooster as well.

An option on a fly back trip, spend some time in Cabo. Plenty to do down there from partying your ass off to just relaxing and decompressing after the trip.

I think Laurens nailed it on relationships.

Reactions: Bill W and cap_lr
Upvote 0

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Really guys. Whose is bigger?? Both boats are excellent choices. In fact you can't go wrong on any of the boats in the fleet that fish the HB and buffer zone. As some have pointed out already the 16 day with 22 passengers will give you 8-8.5days in the zone. The 15/12 with 20 passengers gives you 6.5-7. Neither trip can guarantee any extra fishing on the way down or back. The cost is close with the RS being a hair more because of the permit adds and the flight back but the Intrepid wins out in fishing time. So what it boils down to is your personal preferences. I completed my bucket list of fishing all the boats in the long range fleet about 6-7 yrs ago and I've done multiple fly down fly back trips over the years and many ride down fly back and ride down ride back.. Trust me we have the best choices in the world to fish these areas. Neither of these boats are my go to boat though the RS is my second choice and as was mentioned before it has to do with familiarity with Capt, crew and charter group/passengers. Just go fishing, meet some great people and have fun!

Upvote 0

jimm

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
Royal Star.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2017
Somewhere in the Galaxy
Name
capt
Boat
yes
Having been through some serious sea state conditions returning from Hurricane/Buffer Zone on various Long Range vessels...

I really can't fathom why any person with a modicum of nautical experience in heavy sea states/conditions would favor/prefer to be on the Royal Star a vessel at 92' x 25' VS The Intrepid at 116' x 27'...

If anyone here thinks that an additional 24 FEET of length does not provide an exponential degree of comfort & safety in any sea conditions greater than those found on a Bluegill pond, MUST be drinking the Royal Star koolaide that Wahoodad is liberally dispensing!!!

Also interesting to note that Royal Star does NOT list neither their bait scoop capacity nor their fish hold tonnage capacity, where as The Intrepid lists their's as ...600 scoop bait capacity & a 25 TON fish hold capacity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hey Aaron,

I am unclear who else will be on either trip since the group you fish with is important to you. I do know some great groups on various boats. No disrespect to the Intrepid, but my choice would be the Royal Star due to captains and crew. Very fishy boat. If ride is your primary concern, the Intrepid and other big boats would have a smoother ride.

In regards to your other questions, fly-back is really nice if the weather is up. You get another half day or so fishing in the zone with a ride/ride. Fishing on the way up depends on conditions. Wish I had a better answer! Typically over 15 is the magic number for a trip to go depending on the load limit. Ask Tracy in the office for specifics.

We all like different things. It is good to have choices and you will probably enjoy yourself on either boat. There are many factors... Since I live in Walnut Creek and you are in Nor-Cal too, call me if you have any questions. 925-588-8369

Enjoy,

- Jeff Burroughs

The people I fish with are more important than the ride. That being said, the Royal Star would be my first choice over the two. No disrespect to the Intrepid.
I'm looking at going on one of two trips and need some advice. I took the Intrepid trip last year and would consider this year again, but I've never done a fly back trip and not spending 4 days riding back is appealing, but so is an extra day of fishing. So my questions are:
1) Is the flyback that much nicer? Especially given that Cedros is closed, only possible stop for the Intrepid is Alijos, unless the bluefin are still biting in January...
2) Does the Royal star stop off for grouper when going back to Cabo or is it hit or miss? 2 years ago the Intrepid did stop at a grouper hole, last year they didn't as we spent the last part of the trip at the bank.
3) What is the minimum number of passengers for the RS to go? They gave me a "probably will go" answer, as they have 12 booked now. The intrepid has 19 on it already and is a definite go.

I've not been on the Royal Star so is there anything particular to know about this boat?

Last edited:
Reactions: SlideRight
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    There are two legnths of long range boats, the 90 foot boats and the boats over 100 feet. Just observing how the two types of boats are run as far as speed goes, you can find the 90 foot boats are slower. When traveling multi day to a location that makes a difference.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Add up Randy, Tim and Brian plus the crew equals no comparison. Hey I get the Intrepid has a loyal following which is great, to each his own.

I am in total agreement!

So, that's what, a century of experience? Probably been there, seen it a done that, twice.
    On the Angler we buddy boat with Royal Star in January. Good partnership.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    if you are super cow fishing/captain makes the boat/ if you are just going fishing then its a pleasure cruise and you pick accordingly/ remember Tim and randy were trained by frank and graboski/bill pool

Reactions: potuna and cap_lr
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    if you are super cow fishing/captain makes the boat/ if you are just going fishing then its a pleasure cruise and you pick accordingly/ remember Tim and randy were trained by frank and graboski/bill pool

Mike I think you caught a 260# and a 280# on the trip you and I fished the Intrepid....not bad combining pleasure and fishing ...granted not super cows....lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kcosca and $norkle
    Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
    Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    I got my PB BFT with wahoodaddy on my hip the entire time, decking on the Intrepid a while ago. I love the W.H.D and his opinion is highly valued. That said and all things weighed, it does come down to personal preference. I'm not sure if the length, the comfort, the milliones of tear jerking moments of laughter, or all the fish I've slayed on the intrepid is what influences my point of view the most, but I love that boat and it's captains/crew!

Personally I'd ride down and ride back, but that's just cause I love being offshore. I go to cabo every year, I don't need a night down there and a flight...........but that's just me.

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
    woodland hills,ca
    Name
    daniel klein
    Boat
    none
    Randy started as a deckhand with Don Sansome...Grabowski was 2nd ticket on the Q at the time. Says an old fart who was there ;)

This one feels that Don Sansome was the fishiest captain ever out of the Big Three Landings in Pt Loma. I fished the New Lo-An many many times with Don and he seemed to be high boat practically every single day,yellowtail or albacore.
    Once Don bought the Qualifier 105 I fished it religiously. He didn't really fish the Revilla Gigedos but for 3 to 10 days I would rather have had Don Sansome at the helm than any other skipper.
    It is no accident that John Grabowski and Randy Toussaint became as incredibly fishy as they did after working with Don Sansome.
    The Qualifier 105 was an amazing fishing platform with great captain and crew under Don.
    Dan

Upvote 0

Kcosca

Nov 23, 2005
    Phoenix
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    53" Hatteras
    Intrepid

I have ridden both boats many times, had great fishing on both. Randy and Tim are amazing captains, Tim might be a bit verbose in his reports and Randy may be a bit more focused on his lobstering but they are amazing people and great Fisherman. They WILL absolutely put you on fish and have a great time doing it.

Take anything wahoodad says with a grain of salt, he shells for anything that will give him free gear and/or a free ride. Great fisherman but if we are talking koolaide...Dave don't send me the same PM you sent Bruce unless you want it posted here. I just call it as I see it.

The departure of my friend Kevin as skipper of the Intrepid is a bit of a game changer, I will be on the Intrepid for the Catchy 15 day in a month or so and we will see and then I will report back.

Definitely a better ride on the Intrepid, the comment about staterooms on the RS being better then the Intrepid is just false. Food is amazing on both, crews are amazing on both, they all work their asses off to put the best trip together for their clients.

Both boats could use some TLC, and I assume the back below deck head on the RS still creates some shitty floods. I met a fishing buddy who I still fish with today on the RS, back head flooded twice, floating in shit, he got sick I had antibiotics, last time either of us rode the star.

Just me $.02.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Whahoo dad is for sale to whoever provides him free rides and gear.

Go back and read his posts when he was a regular on the Intrepid and his song was a completely different one. Getting free rides and logging hours as a deckhand to work towards higher aspirations on the long range seen. Things didn't work out the way he hoped and he has sour grapes towards the Intrepid, so take his opinion the same as as a very biased ex would be.... probably not real nuetral and unbiased.

I have been constantly amazed at the people on this site over the years watching so many drink the Koolaid of the various players. Some of these guys would probably ask Choate for his autograph. Never met him personally, he seems to be a great fisherman, but his popularity has cause a pseudo star syndrome. It's like listening to Hollywood about product endorsements or politics....

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Whahoo dad is for sale to whoever provides him free rides and gear.

Go back and read his posts when he was a regular on the Intrepid and his song was a completely different one. Getting free rides and logging hours as a deckhand to work towards higher aspirations on the long range seen. Things didn't work out the way he hoped and he has sour grapes towards the Intrepid, so take his opinion the same as as a very biased ex would be.... probably not real nuetral and unbiased.

I have been constantly amazed at the people on this site over the years watching so many drink the Koolaid of the various players. Some of these guys would probably ask Choate for his autograph. Never met him personally, he seems to be a great fisherman, but his popularity has cause a pseudo star syndrome. It's like listening to Hollywood about product endorsements or politics....
    I have never met Wahoodad, but regardless, I think it's extremely out of bounds, to try to question a mans integrity on this forum. This started out as a thread about someone asking which long range trip was best for him. There are many different opinions, on every long range topic under the sun, on this forum. Nobody here is always right, if there's something you think may benefit you, use it! If not let it go. Trying to trash one's character, to make it seem like one's opinion is not valid is wrong! I love this forum, most likely the greatest moments of my life, have been on the deck of a long range boat. But I have ground rules, I never talk bad about any boat, crew, or fellow anglers. I hope someday I get to meet Wahoodad, as well as all the other regular contributors to this forum. If I did have a problem anyone, I would confront them face to face, instead of behind the curtain of bloodydecks.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I have never met Wahoodad, but regardless, I think it's extremely out of bounds, to try to question a mans integrity on this forum. This started out as a thread about someone asking which long range trip was best for him. There are many different opinions, on every long range topic under the sun, on this forum. Nobody here is always right, if there's something you think may benefit you, use it! If not let it go. Trying to trash one's character, to make it seem like one's opinion is not valid is wrong! I love this forum, most likely the greatest moments of my life, have been on the deck of a long range boat. But I have ground rules, I never talk bad about any boat, crew, or fellow anglers. I hope someday I get to meet Wahoodad, as well as all the other regular contributors to this forum. If I did have a problem anyone, I would confront them face to face, instead of behind the curtain of bloodydecks.

Blah blah blah..... There is no curtain of bloodydecks... if we were all standing in a room having this conversation I would say the same thing. Anyone who knows me knows it to be the case I am not afraid to state my opinion. I live in Oregon and don't have an issue with him personally, so no need to go travel to "confront him personally" is frankly not realistic. My comment is my opinion based upon what I have seen over the years as many others have. I believe his opinion is biased. I also believe he has contributed a great deal over the years to this site and the fishing community, but as his popularity grew and the koolaid spread his contributions became small infomercials.

If he does not want comments from the public he should carefully consider his endorsements and motives behind them. I remember when he was common place on the Intrepid and at that point this post would have been totally different endorsement.

My post was on point for the OP as it is some background he may not know when considering the opinion offered to his question. The OP can decide for himself how much weight he puts on the information provided.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    Blah blah blah..... There is no curtain of bloodydecks... if we were all standing in a room having this conversation I would say the same thing. Anyone who knows me knows it to be the case I am not afraid to state my opinion. I live in Oregon and don't have an issue with him personally, so no need to go travel to "confront him personally" is frankly not realistic. My comment is my opinion based upon what I have seen over the years as many others have. I believe his opinion is biased. I also believe he has contributed a great deal over the years to this site and the fishing community, but as his popularity grew and the koolaid spread his contributions became small infomercials.

If he does not want comments from the public he should carefully consider his endorsements and motives behind them. I remember when he was common place on the Intrepid and at that point this post would have been totally different endorsement.

My post was on point for the OP as it is some background he may not know when considering the opinion offered to his question. The OP can decide for himself how much weight he puts on the information provided.
    Maybe you guys can settle this over a big fish, fish off!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Why does a guy from Phoenix who has been a member for 12 fucking years and has a total of 4 messages and zero reports on his own trips, feel motivated to crawl out of the woodwork to comment here? WTF Then the Oregon guy...

Hmm, 15/12 ride down / fly back or 16 day ride/ride? There ya go.

Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
    Jul 23, 2011
    San Diego Ca. USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
    Intrepid

I have ridden both boats many times, had great fishing on both. Randy and Tim are amazing captains, Tim might be a bit verbose in his reports and Randy may be a bit more focused on his lobstering but they are amazing people and great Fisherman. They WILL absolutely put you on fish and have a great time doing it.

Take anything wahoodad says with a grain of salt, he shells for anything that will give him free gear and/or a free ride. Great fisherman but if we are talking koolaide...Dave don't send me the same PM you sent Bruce unless you want it posted here. I just call it as I see it.

The departure of my friend Kevin as skipper of the Intrepid is a bit of a game changer, I will be on the Intrepid for the Catchy 15 day in a month or so and we will see and then I will report back.

Definitely a better ride on the Intrepid, the comment about staterooms on the RS being better then the Intrepid is just false. Food is amazing on both, crews are amazing on both, they all work their asses off to put the best trip together for their clients.

Both boats could use some TLC, and I assume the back below deck head on the RS still creates some shitty floods. I met a fishing buddy who I still fish with today on the RS, back head flooded twice, floating in shit, he got sick I had antibiotics, last time either of us rode the star.

Just me $.02.
    I've been on the RS many times and the heads never flooded. Some dumbass must have put something down it that wasn't meant to be in it, that would happen on any boat.

Reactions: Tom Honaker
    Upvote 0