Royal Star 15/12 or Intrepid 16

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by afraser, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Royal Star..

2. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    IMO for a long trip a no brainer....Intrepid

popx5, Nuclieye, Anglewood and 4 others like this.
  3. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I prefer the Royal Star operation over the Intrepid for many of the reasons Wahoodad stated. The crew is top notch...really a different level....especially in fish killing...no question the Intrepid is much more luxurious and a larger boat. I have been on both boats...they both have their own vibe. My vibe aligns more with the Royal Star but I can see how many of the posters on this forum align more with the Intrepid...especially a lot of the frequent posters. Believe or don't believe in the controversial code boat thing....obviously there are believers on both sides....I'm not sure what the value is in arguing about it or name calling....

The thread kind of turned from a valid question to my boat is better than yours...

I haven't done a fly back trip.... I don't really have an interest as it doesn't work for me. I would have to come back down to the landing from the Bay area when the boat docked to pick up my stuff...I'd rather just ride back and reflect on the trip and prepare for life back in the real world. It's not really about another chance at catching another fish for me as fishing always seems to be limited on the way back up the line. I'd find another trip that wasn't a fly back......

4. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Most trips I have taken have always been trips that my friends are on. So my choice for a certain time frame is dictated by who is on what boat. Trips I had no buddy's on were always boats I grew up wanting to fish and before I had LR bros and crew. With captains I consider legends and pioneers. So my first trip over 4 days was a 8 day aboard the RS, high school graduation gift from my folks and a epic trip. If you don't have a buddy on either trip, Ask yourself which boat have you always wanted to fish?

Over the age of 65 or fragile, Intrepid

Under 65 or tough, RS
    :D :rofl::rofl:

In regards to catching fish I would bet my money on the RS. If the two boats were in a tournament with the crew fishing, I'm placing my bet on the RS. I also give it to the RS for a higher chance of finding fish. Stack your odds in your favor, I believe is the expression

Also the RS has a following of long time LRgers so the odds of fishing with more experienced fisherman would be the RS. Less tangles :)

No disrespect to the Intrepid as I hear and know it's a first class operation and Bill is a bad ass. No doubt proven bad ass and the boat has made many remarkable catches. Either choice they are both first class and you can't go wrong with either.

The RS has more history plain and simple. Later down the pipe the Intrepid will too

If I had the time I would stay on the boat as long as possible like going on a cruise with fisherman. Top notch food and good peeps to discus fishing with. I did a 22/15 day Clipperton trip with wahoodad :) he taught me allot! I flew to Puerta Vallarta and met the RP and flew back to SD from Cabo. If I could had got more time off of work, I would had rode down and road back. Save money not paying airfare while eating the equivelant of $80 of excellent food a day and chatting with some of the best crew there is in the world. That's priceless

5. cap_lr

cap_lr Member

Name:
    Laurens
    Boat:
    SOLD!
    I have been doing two 15+ day trips a year for the last decade or so. One is a ride/ride and the other a ride/fly. Generally I prefer the ride/ride as you really do lose a full day of fishing on the ride/fly. There are plusses and minus' to each. One of the drags about the ride/fly, besides the obvious, is that it basically takes a full day to get home from Cabo. You get dropped off at 6:30am and get home in the late afternoon. I live in SD so getting back to the boat is not a big deal, but it would suck if you don't live in SD.

Some things to consider...

IMHO - If you are going long range for big tuna you generally want to stay in "the zone" for as much time as possible. Some boats maximize their time in the big fish zones and some want to provide a more loosey goosey approach to catching whatever swims in the ocean. To each his own - but most of us know what boats [captains] have boners for big fish and which boats only have semis.

FWIW - I have fished both of the boats in question and chose not to fish either for various reasons. My personal great experiences long range fishing are in large part due to the long term relationships I have developed with the captains, crew and fellow anglers on the boat I fish regularly. Those relationships and experience are far more valuable to me than a fancy dinner or other amenity.

Bill W, Olddog8, potuna and 4 others like this.
  6. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Have only fished Intrepid once, an 11 day November 2008 and have not fished Royal Star, but I do fish the Angler regularly, similar hull. I enjoy the Angler and greatly look forward to two trips, 8 day September 30 and 14 day January 10. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to my next adventure on the Rooster as well.

An option on a fly back trip, spend some time in Cabo. Plenty to do down there from partying your ass off to just relaxing and decompressing after the trip.

I think Laurens nailed it on relationships.

Bill W and cap_lr like this.
  7. fshholc

fshholc Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    sold
    Really guys. Whose is bigger?? Both boats are excellent choices. In fact you can't go wrong on any of the boats in the fleet that fish the HB and buffer zone. As some have pointed out already the 16 day with 22 passengers will give you 8-8.5days in the zone. The 15/12 with 20 passengers gives you 6.5-7. Neither trip can guarantee any extra fishing on the way down or back. The cost is close with the RS being a hair more because of the permit adds and the flight back but the Intrepid wins out in fishing time. So what it boils down to is your personal preferences. I completed my bucket list of fishing all the boats in the long range fleet about 6-7 yrs ago and I've done multiple fly down fly back trips over the years and many ride down fly back and ride down ride back.. Trust me we have the best choices in the world to fish these areas. Neither of these boats are my go to boat though the RS is my second choice and as was mentioned before it has to do with familiarity with Capt, crew and charter group/passengers. Just go fishing, meet some great people and have fun!

dh515, speyman, Pangamaster and 3 others like this.
  8. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    sorry I read to the end

nate likes this.
  9. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Add up Randy, Tim and Brian plus the crew equals no comparison. Hey I get the Intrepid has a loyal following which is great, to each his own.

egarratt, ifish42na and Tim Turis like this.
  10. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    I am in total agreement!

egarratt and ethand like this.
  11. jimm

jimm Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    Royal Star.

12. walk the plank

walk the plank Newbie

Name:
    capt
    Boat:
    yes
    Having been through some serious sea state conditions returning from Hurricane/Buffer Zone on various Long Range vessels...

I really can't fathom why any person with a modicum of nautical experience in heavy sea states/conditions would favor/prefer to be on the Royal Star a vessel at 92' x 25' VS The Intrepid at 116' x 27'...

If anyone here thinks that an additional 24 FEET of length does not provide an exponential degree of comfort & safety in any sea conditions greater than those found on a Bluegill pond, MUST be drinking the Royal Star koolaide that Wahoodad is liberally dispensing!!!

Also interesting to note that Royal Star does NOT list neither their bait scoop capacity nor their fish hold tonnage capacity, where as The Intrepid lists their's as ...600 scoop bait capacity & a 25 TON fish hold capacity.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    popx5, $norkle, hilltop and 3 others like this.
  13. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hey Aaron,

I am unclear who else will be on either trip since the group you fish with is important to you. I do know some great groups on various boats. No disrespect to the Intrepid, but my choice would be the Royal Star due to captains and crew. Very fishy boat. If ride is your primary concern, the Intrepid and other big boats would have a smoother ride.

In regards to your other questions, fly-back is really nice if the weather is up. You get another half day or so fishing in the zone with a ride/ride. Fishing on the way up depends on conditions. Wish I had a better answer! Typically over 15 is the magic number for a trip to go depending on the load limit. Ask Tracy in the office for specifics.

We all like different things. It is good to have choices and you will probably enjoy yourself on either boat. There are many factors... Since I live in Walnut Creek and you are in Nor-Cal too, call me if you have any questions. 925-588-8369

Enjoy,

- Jeff Burroughs

The people I fish with are more important than the ride. That being said, the Royal Star would be my first choice over the two. No disrespect to the Intrepid.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    SlideRight likes this.
  14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    There are two legnths of long range boats, the 90 foot boats and the boats over 100 feet. Just observing how the two types of boats are run as far as speed goes, you can find the 90 foot boats are slower. When traveling multi day to a location that makes a difference.

15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, that's what, a century of experience? Probably been there, seen it a done that, twice.
    On the Angler we buddy boat with Royal Star in January. Good partnership.

16. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow

OK, so...
    AA is 90'
    RS is 92'
    That's 182 feet in January!
    Intrepid's only 116' so there you go;)

17. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    if you are super cow fishing/captain makes the boat/ if you are just going fishing then its a pleasure cruise and you pick accordingly/ remember Tim and randy were trained by frank and graboski/bill pool

potuna and cap_lr like this.
  18. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Mike I think you caught a 260# and a 280# on the trip you and I fished the Intrepid....not bad combining pleasure and fishing ...granted not super cows....lol

Kcosca and $norkle like this.
  19. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    if you. and Kevin are on the boat/ it could be a dingy and I would sign up

Fishybuzz, dh515 and hilltop like this.
  20. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    I got my PB BFT with wahoodaddy on my hip the entire time, decking on the Intrepid a while ago. I love the W.H.D and his opinion is highly valued. That said and all things weighed, it does come down to personal preference. I'm not sure if the length, the comfort, the milliones of tear jerking moments of laughter, or all the fish I've slayed on the intrepid is what influences my point of view the most, but I love that boat and it's captains/crew!

Personally I'd ride down and ride back, but that's just cause I love being offshore. I go to cabo every year, I don't need a night down there and a flight...........but that's just me.