Royal Polaris - the legend keeps growing....

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
This article is aimed to those who have ridden the RP in the past, current and for those who have always wondered about riding the RP.

Over the past 25+ years I've been fortunate to ride on many of the premier LR vessels and in the fleet with Capt. Rothery, Capt. Norm, Capt. Bruce, Capt. Osborne, Capt. Jesus, Capt. Sansome, Capt. Fleck, Capt. John and etc (Polaris Supreme, Shogun, Indy, Intrepid, AA, Excel, Islander etc) and eventually the RP with Capt. Roy Rose. Over the years, I was always in awe of the RP after hearing the stories for what seemed like decades about their legendary catch and experience on trips. All the talk was about Capt. Frank, Capt. Loomis and Capt. Rollo and how the RP has become the Queen of the Fleet for many good reasons.

Fast forward to 2015, my group (OC Tuna) finally had the opportunity get our charter on their schedule for Summer 2016. I remember the first words that came out of Mr. Frankie's mouth "Hi Doug.....I was expecting you!" Wait a second? say what? expecting me? okay....needless to say, I'm flattered. Frankie and I engage in conversation and he asks me what it will take to get my group over to the RP. List was simple and short: 1) Capt. Roy Rose drives every trip 2) Need certain dates to accommodate my guys 3) Capt. Roy Rose drives every trip - hahahaha!

Since our initial trip back in the Summer of 2016, every single one our trips has been nothing short of legendary. Before I was always concerned about what the fleet was doing to get a pulse on what to expect. These days, it's still very good information to have and to keep my guys up to speed. However, Roy is Roy and he is the Alpha Skipper in the Fleet for more reasons than I can list. His Crew is Legendary as well.....Eddie and Big D have been on the RP for 20+ years, Tommie & Doug have been there for quite some time and the young kid Trevon has been there since 2017.

In a WFO bite....safe to assume anyone can get a bite. However, when it's a slow pick bite, this is where the RP shines and where experience pays off.

On this last 4 day trip, Capt. Roy said the following to me while we were lining up...."The fish aren't biting right now.....that's how I like it!" Without fail, he always finds the mother lode at some point during our trip. Again, when the rest of the fleet was struggling we put up some respectable numbers with tremendous quality (33 fish over 100+lbs). Sure there's a certain amount of luck needed, but first you need to be presented with the opportunity before luck even comes into play. Capt. Roy's instinct on where to go is legendary, and the kill counts showcases all of his decades of knowledge and experience. I've always told my guys that I like our odds, (despite varying catch reports) every single time we step onto the RP with Capt. Roy Rose. Even when the bite is tough, Roy always will find and give you the opportunity to settle the score before they call it a trip.

So if you've been always wondering what it's like to ride the RP, I hope this article provides a glimpse into what you can expect when you go fishing with Capt. Roy Rose and Crew. If you have any questions or want to learn more, just respond and I'll chime in. RP Livin'! RP Magic! Thank you.

Group SHot.jpg

bigdp.jpg

P7310361.JPG

Last edited:

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
This article is aimed to those who have ridden the RP in the past, current and for those who have always wondered about riding the RP.

Over the past 25+ years I've been fortunate to ride on many of the premier LR vessels and in the fleet with Capt. Rothery, Capt. Norm, Capt. Bruce, Capt. Osborne, Capt. Jesus, Capt. Sansome, Capt. Fleck, Capt. John and etc (Polaris Supreme, Shogun, Indy, Intrepid, AA, Excel, Islander etc) and eventually the RP with Capt. Roy Rose. Over the years, I was always in awe of the RP after hearing the stories for what seemed like decades about their legendary catch and experience on trips. All the talk was about Capt. Frank, Capt. Loomis and Capt. Rollo and how the RP has become the Queen of the Fleet for many good reasons.

Fast forward to 2015, my group (OC Tuna) finally had the opportunity get our charter on their schedule for Summer 2016. I remember the first words that came out of Mr. Frankie's mouth "Hi Doug.....I was expecting you!" Wait a second? say what? expecting me? okay....needless to say, I'm flattered. Frankie and I engage in conversation and he asks me what it will take to get my group over to the RP. List was simple and short: 1) Capt. Roy Rose drives every trip 2) Need certain dates to accommodate my guys 3) Capt. Roy Rose drives every trip - hahahaha!

Since our initial trip back in the Summer of 2016, every single one our trips has been nothing short of legendary. Before I was always concerned about what the fleet was doing to get a pulse on what to expect. These days, it's still very good information to have and to keep my guys up to speed. However, Roy is Roy and he is the Alpha Skipper in the Fleet for more reasons than I can list. His Crew is Legendary as well.....Eddie and Big D have been on the RP for 20+ years, Tommie & Doug have been there for quite some time and the young kid Trevon has been there since 2017.

In a WFO bite....safe to assume anyone can get a bite. However, when it's a slow pick bite, this is where the RP shines and where experience pays off.

On this last 4 day trip, Capt. Roy said the following to me while we were lining up...."The fish aren't biting right now.....that's how I like it!" Without fail, he always finds the mother lode at some point during our trip. Again, when the rest of the fleet was struggling we put up some respectable numbers with tremendous quality (33 fish over 100+lbs). Sure there's a certain amount of luck needed, but first you need to be presented with the opportunity to before luck even comes into play. Capt. Roy's instinct on where to go is legendary, and the kill counts showcases all of his decades of knowledge and experience. I've always told my guys that I like our odds, (despite varying catch reports) every single time we step onto the RP with Capt. Roy Rose. Even when the bite is tough, Roy always will find and give you the opportunity to settle the score before they call it a trip.

So if you've been always wondering what it's like to ride the RP, I hope this article provides a glimpse into what you can expect when you go fishing with Capt. Roy Rose and Crew. If you have any questions or want to learn more, just respond and I'll chime in. RP Livin'! RP Magic! Thank you.

View attachment 1303664

View attachment 1303677

View attachment 1303678

Doug. I have ridden most of the Boats and I like each of them and their crews in their own way...and I would still ride and do ride any of them!

But the RP is the Alpha Boat and Roy is the Alpha captain.
there is no question or even doubt about it.

thanks for the great write up's and another epic trip!

looking forward to my 22 day trip to "undisclosed locations"

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Doug. I have ridden most of the Boats and I like each of them and their crews in their own way...and I would still ride and do ride any of them!

But the RP is the Alpha Boat and Roy is the Alpha captain.
there is no question or even doubt about it.

thanks for the great write up's and another epic trip!

looking forward to my 22 day trip to "undisclosed locations"

Well said. All of the other boats are fantastic as well, but as you note....there is one Alpha Boat. I remember we were fishing down at Clarion and without fail, every single time we pulled the anchor to make a move....the other boats kept following us. It was interesting to watch, but it was a testament to how much the other skippers put their trust into Roy Rose.

I remember how Roy was telling the other boats to maintain their distance between each other, because some were fishing way too close to us. Then about hour later, I was soaking a bait on the bow and noticed some spectra near the top of my head and wrapping around the RP's wheel house. An angler from another boat was on their bow and his fish ran around our bow and they ended up throwing the anglers rig in the water with floats so Big D can clear the spectra and wind down on this person fish.

Good luck on the "undisclosed locations"....I wish I was going on that trip!

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
I’ve been on the Royal Polaris 2 times. Once in 1982 and once in 1983. The first trip I caught 314 lb. tuna at Clarion Island on the last day of the trip. The reel was a Shimano Triton Trolling Series single speed, the rod was 655 xxh, 80lb. Maxima line and Salami Mackerel. Used a hardness, rod never touched the rail. The second trip I ended going to Clipperton Island on a 16 day trip. My crew on this trip was Steve Loomis captain. Jack Webster second captain, Rollo Heyn deckhand, Tim Ekstrom deckhand, and Brian Kiyohara pinhead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Wow, what a great write up. And some great follow up responses. This is the stuff that makes this place Worth a damn.

Upvote 0

mike atkins

Aug 29, 2015
    virginia
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    none
    Rode the RP for the first time last year and can't agree more with all the comments. Captain Roy is next world and has to be seen to believe. We had boats all over us at the ridge and rocks.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
    Upvote 0

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
    Bay Area
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    I have been fishing long range since the 1980s.
    I fish and love ALL the boats, and... there are very few I have not fished at least twice.
    I am lucky enough to have fished the RP twice in the last year, a 10 day in November with Frank as Captain and last an 8 day last month with Sean as captain. While sadly I have never fished with Roy, I can confidently say that boat and crew is a well oiled machine. Crew members Darrell, Eddie, Trevon, Ryan and Doug are simply Very experienced and are at the very top for high end and friendly service.
    I can’t speak highly enough of my last two trips. And the food is pretty good too.
    I’ll admit to being a bit bummed that they are not one of the boats I ave booked for my next 4 scheduled trips in the next 12 months.
    I really want to fish with Roy.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub
    Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I have been fishing long range since the 1980s.
    I fish and love ALL the boats, and... there are very few I have not fished at least twice.
    I am lucky enough to have fished the RP twice in the last year, a 10 day in November with Frank as Captain and last an 8 day last month with Sean as captain. While sadly I have never fished with Roy, I can confidently say that boat and crew is a well oiled machine. Crew members Darrell, Eddie, Trevon, Ryan and Doug are simply Very experienced and are at the very top for high end and friendly service.
    I can’t speak highly enough of my last two trips. And the food is pretty good too.
    I’ll admit to being a bit bummed that they are not one of the boats I ave booked for my next 4 scheduled trips in the next 12 months.
    I really want to fish with Roy.
    Fishing with Roy will change your whole perspective of the operation. There's nobody funnier, more fishy and more dedicated than Roy. He adds so much to the "long range" experience. Once you fish with him, you'll understand why we always want Roy at the helm on all of my charters.

Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Rode the RP for the first time last year and can't agree more with all the comments. Captain Roy is next world and has to be seen to believe. We had boats all over us at the ridge and rocks.

Hahaha....yes he is! Capt. Roy is next world and there's a reason why his nickname is "the sealion"......

Reactions: Crow