Royal Polaris San Quintin

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Nappo1, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadDonkey

BadDonkey www.baddonkey.com

Name:
    Rich Hollo
    Boat:
    27' Skagit Orca XLC - BIG BadDonkey
    BTW, throw all the weights you want, Juan. I'm happy to make all you need.

2. Kayell

Kayell Cortez Cowboy Sportfishing

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    First off, Yes I fish in Mexican waters and I am not a Mexican citizen. The differences between the way I do it and the way the LR boats do it are: 1) my fishing contributes a lot to the local economy whereas the LR boats contribute nothing. 2) I take only what fish I can keep in the small freezer in my kitchen refrigerator.
    In the first instance, when I moved to Mexico I bought a house through a local realtor, I bought a new vehicle from a local dealer, I bought a boat which I pay to moor in the local marina, I pay deckhands to fish with me, I buy bait from the local pangueros, I pay a guy to clean my boat each time I use it, and I support various restaurants, bars, banks, grocery stores etc etc etc.

The LR boats contribute nothing.

In the second instance, I only keep whatever fish I can hold in my freezer. Currently I have one tuna and one wahoo in it. Until those are gone I will fish C&R regardless of what I catch.

The LR boats load up with as much as they can legally harvest, including "shared" limits between all anglers on board.

Fortunately I do not see many of these boats around Cabo yet but you can bet I'd be pissed too if one of them came in and "pushed" me off a hot spot. If I could I would be the first to vote that these boats be outlawed in Mexican waters for they contribute nothing to the local economies and have a detrimental effect on the fish populations that support the locals. Captain Juan has every right to be pissed and I for one hope something changes before we see more and more of these LR boats raping the local waters which I have worked hard all of my life to be able to (responsibly) enjoy.

3. Gus Fring

Gus Fring Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    As someone who has fished LR more than a couple of times, and also hired the Pangas/Cruisers of Baja at least 50 times….I am at a loss while reading this thread.

It's just pretty damn depressing….

At this point (page 4 of the thread) it sure seems the local Pangueros do have a mighty big beef goin' here.

And as far as the actions that prompted these confrontations at sea, I can only quote Bill Murray as Hunter S Thompson in Where the Buffalo Roam: "Nothing good can come from this…." :rolleyes:

Statistico likes this.
  4. Edee Oxley

Edee Oxley Newbie

Name:
    Edee Oxley
    Boat:
    Glastron
    I am an American who has lived full time in San Quintin for 12 1/2 years with my Significant other, Jerry Jones who has lived here for over 20 yrs. We have a 24 ft Glastron Sea Fury that Jerry owns jointly with his friend Dan. Dan and Jerry take the boat out fishing on average a couple times a month during the time of year that the weather is nice and the fishing is good. Dan has also lived here in SQ for many years. I go out maybe 3 or 4 times a year. We are all grateful to be here as guests of Mexico in their country. We are friends with most of the local Pongeros and try to be sensitive to the fact that fishing is their living and means of feeding their families. I think it's also important to note that many of them are 3rd, or 4th generation fisherman. They don't know any other life. I am amazed that I was totally unaware of the conflict between our local fisherman and the very large Sport boats out of San Diego until a few minutes ago. From what I've seen on here so far, my opinion is I can't even describe how morally and ethically (maybe even criminally) wrong the behavior of the San Diego boats is. When Jerry and I go out, if we catch 3 or 4 nice fish we quit and go home. That's all we can eat and why take more than you need? Especially when there is less and less fish every year and as someone already said, there are about 50 families here in SQ depending on fishing to put food on their tables. We stand with our local Pongeros and hope they continue to stand strong.!!!!

5. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Well sail El Juan. Carry bottle rockets on your boat.

Edee Oxley likes this.
  6. cabo rob

cabo rob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    cobia 244cc
    IMO it seems that commercial fishing as a whole has gone unchecked in Mexican waters for too long. Seiners rape the waters unchecked and close to shore frequently, leaving nothing in their wake. The Mexican government has turned a blind eye to this for too long. People like Juan survive on what the seas provide. When their is nothing left, what will he do for the family who was also victimized.
    Glad to see people waking up. If someone of political influence grew a spine and put a stop to the raping of these waters by commercial fleets the world would be a better place.
    Just my 2 cents worth !

7. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Please DONT promote violence of any kind……..This won't solve anything
    I'm 100% on the SQ skippers side but to throw things or shoot things or whatever is ILLEGAL and very dangerous

zkidd91, Edee Oxley, rdrrm8e and 3 others like this.
  8. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    you are spot on Derek. for the most part, the SQ locals are pretty forgiving.

Chit, they are AMAZINGLY forgiving. I cannot, however, blame them for getting pissed/frustrated/outraged.

it's just a shame. (on the LR fleet).

Edee Oxley likes this.
  9. Kellys twins

Kellys twins Playing with the twins

Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
    Name:
    Rick Woodley
    Boat:
    Kellys twins 23' Donzi
    What is up with the long range skippers, think it might be a little embarrassing for them? Would sure like to hear there point of view.

10. KennyKorvina

KennyKorvina Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Valco
    Captain Juan is as calm and as good as it gets! If he is pissed, there is good reason. So many U.S. fishermen are scared of Mexico so they go out of San Diego...and in some of these instances mess with the locals. Grow a pair and go down to SQ and fish and hang with the locals and maybe learn a thing or two... there are inside toilets at the hotels and you can even get on the interweb to find out the Dodger scores!!!! Will be fishing with El Juan next week and stand behind him 100%.

11. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    And what does this have to do with long range boats ? All this crying about the long range guys,wow.How often does this really happen ?

Statistico likes this.
  12. Leslie. Christensen

Leslie. Christensen El Chivito

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga
    It happens too often a boat. sitting. at the island for 2 days and poachiing 700 yellows wipes it out . They wipe out the big sea bass it takes. 10 years to recover thats were they got pissed off

Edee Oxley likes this.
  13. Kellys twins

Kellys twins Playing with the twins

Parker AZ, Campo de Lorenzo, San Quintin, BCN Mex.
    Name:
    Rick Woodley
    Boat:
    Kellys twins 23' Donzi
    With the fishing as good as it is this year, it happens almost everyday!!!!!. I was just there, fished five days and it was everyday!!!!!!

14. rosaritojimmy

rosaritojimmy ADDICTED TO FISH.

Name:
    JIM DECOURSEY
    Boat:
    SLAPTAIL
    By the way, the name of the local boat in question is SLAPTAIL, and I am the owner. Juan is my captain, and I support him 110%!!!

I have fished in SQ at least once a month for the past 3 years, and have run into SD longrangers 90% of the time. Between the bait seiners and the long range boats, the fishing economy in SQ has really suffered.

Just imagine if there was a longrange boat from Mexico that came up and fished the La Jolla kelp beds for WSB, calicos and yellowtail. Can you imagine the uproar that would follow???

I am told that this does not happen in Ensenada. Maybe it is time to get together an organized protest to the appropriate fishing authorities in Mexico to prevent the long-range boats from fishing 10 - 15 miles from the Mexican coastline? There are plenty of high spots further out where they can fish without damaging the local fishing economies.
    I live in Mexico, and am willing to help in any way that I can. Anybody else?

mikee89, chitoy69, Mangisda and 7 others like this.
  15. BadDonkey

BadDonkey www.baddonkey.com

Name:
    Rich Hollo
    Boat:
    27' Skagit Orca XLC - BIG BadDonkey

Certainly does not bother me to be boarded by the mexican navy to make sure I have my permits and documents in order. A bit intimidating at first, but they are welcome on my boat.

16. dang 8521

dang 8521 Newbie

Name:
    Dan F.
    Boat:
    my best friends
    I was a little angry and upset when I read this yesterday. After thinking about a little I became furious. These long range boats are in Mexican water, not U.S. water and not international water. Giving a little bait or a few beers to a local fisherman is NOT going to earn their respect or friendship. Understanding the culture, the people and the life style will get you a lot further.

I came up with two ideas. The first one is that any and all bders who support the local captains need to send at least one e mail a day for one week to the office of the royal polaris letting them know how you feel about their antics. The second idea is something I will suggest to all the local captains here is SQ. My second idea is not a toal solution and will require some changes for them but it should makes things a little easier. Use a different channel on the radio and maybe go so far to change channels every hour. This will not stop them from infringing on the location of the bite but it will slow the cattle boats down. Instead of hearing where the bite is they would need to rely on their spotters to let them know that the pangas are focusing on a different spot. Once again, it won't stop the cattle boats from finding you, but they will not hear the captains informing their compadres that they found fish.

A side story. I am sure everyone has heard about the three huge Opahs that were caught on cattle boat a few weeks ago. The original story implied they were caught in San Diego water. Now, one may qualify for a world record. THAT story stated the cattle boat was fishing ¨close¨ San Marin island when five, yes five, of their customers hooked the Opah. Two were farmed. Any one who knows SQ can easily figure out they were probably at the 6, the 15 or the 240. You can bet that that cattle boat company is using that story to entice people to use their cattle boat. I think that boat was the excel. I need to stop because I can feel my blood pressure rising.

17. Tom Polley

Tom Polley Member

Punta de Mita, Nayarit / Ensenada / San Diego
    Name:
    Thomas
    Boat:
    26 Radon Lighting
    Skip the cattle boats in SD. Go to Mexico and get on a local boat, experience life on this side of the boarder, you may not want to leave. That's what happened to me, just saying...

18. sanqjj

sanqjj Newbie

Name:
    jerry jones
    Boat:
    none
    I think we should take some jet skis out to welcome our friends from the north. Everyone loves jet skis when fishing

Edee Oxley likes this.
  19. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    As a visiting US private recreational fishing vessel, we also try to employ a local deckhand and bring some clothes/toys for the local kids. We are also respectful enough not to encroach on their activities. What else should we do?

20. dang 8521

dang 8521 Newbie

Name:
    Dan F.
    Boat:
    my best friends
    @MYNomad....good for you that you employ a local deck hand. I hope you are paying him reasonably well. It is not that inexpensive to live in Mexico anymore. An example is I was going out to get the gas cans to gas up the boat and I was running late and needed gas for my truck. I put in a mere $50.00 pesos and received 3.87 liters of gas. The exchange rate that day was $13.05. So just a tad bit over a gallon of gas cost me $3.83 in U.S. dollars. Your deck hand may need to drive to the dock and probably has a family to feed. Don't be cheap. What else should you do, you ask. Treat these people with the dignity they deserve. Treat them like you would want to treated and everything should work out. Just think.

Edee Oxley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.