Royal Polaris - OC Tuna Trip Hat Trick and more... (part 2)

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
There is one critical part or silver lining to this story that I forgot to write down. Right after I got spooled and broke off (as mentioned in the previous trip report), I went back to my tackle stand and grabbed my 2nd Viper setup and walked back to the rail and dropped in. As I was just beginning to explain what happened to my buddies and how I got spooled, my jig gets slammed on the drop and I'm back on again. 2 drops, 2 fish....I'm living right! However, when this 2nd fish bit my jig on the sink I got a loop in my spectra from the sudden jerk on the spool. Knowing how dangerous this can be, I buttoned my drag down to 3/4 sunset and wound my spectra over the loop and made sure this fish couldn't take any more line out. 5 minutes later, a 110lbr hits the deck. My buddies are yelling and hooting that was my redemption fish and I was good with that.

Here's where the story gets even better. After all of the high 5's and etc I grabbed my rod and walked to the rail to get that loop out. I'm sitting there stripping line off slowly in the starboard corner since my buddy is pegged in the port corner battling with his 238. I finally get the loop out and just put my reel back in gear and begin to wind up and WHAM I get bit again. The deck hands and my guys are in complete disbelief...so am I. Now I'm at 3 drops that resulted in 3 fish....that's unheard of fishing for these big BFT. Fast forward 1 hour and I put the 199 on the deck. Now I'm really living good and redemption has never felt so sweet and so good. Hat Trick.

However lady luck wasn't done yet.....read on

Just 1.5 hours earlier, I got spooled, then landed a 110 on my very next drop, then land a 199 on the next drop after that......and if you can believe this, the story gets even better! I took a break and everyone is giving me hugs, high 5's and telling the story about my 3 for 3 hat trick. After taking a long needed break, I put on a fresh 200lb leader back on my jig and drop back down again. This time my buddy Mike Urabe walks over to me and says the following.."Dude every single time I stand next to you, you get bit....I must be your good luck charm". Thinking back he was right, he's been next to me the entire time. Now he's standing next to me again and like clockwork...whammo! Now I'm 4 for 4 and this fish is even bigger.......spool is getting dumped and finally work my way to the stern and call for my buddy Cameron to take over the battle.

Cam is on this fish for the next 1.5 hours and it's a beast. Easily the biggest fish of the trip...everyone is watching this massive beast on the surface. The RP Crew has 4 gaffs and Y out and Capt. Roy is getting ready to stick the fish. The fish is just outside the reach of the gaff and Capt. Roy and Eddie are telling Cam that we're gonna stick him in a second and keep lifting. And out of left field....this monster BFT rolled over at the last possible second before the gaffs were gonna stick him and dived left made a quick u turn and chewed off. Everyone was in complete disbelief because a lot of us have never seen a tuna of any size do this type of behavior when it was seconds from getting gaffed. That fish was big for a reason and it just wasn't his time to die.......

In the attached photo is the 238, the 110 and the 199 that are mentioned in the story. Sitting to the right of the 199 is the one that spooled me and sitting next to that one is the u turn fish! hahaha! .Crazy good times aboard the RP!

IMG_3467.jpg

1627354029199.jpeg

Last edited:

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    awesome! more than luck- u were blessed! q- how do estimate a fish at 199? not questioning size of fish, just wondering the math…

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Four for Four....you'll likely never top that run. NICE FISH ALL.
    Doubt I'll ever do that again. I thought I'd never see back to back, I was wrong there too. Just gotta ride that wave when you're on it. I stopped because I was gassed and physically exhausted and it was 2am. Took that 4 for 4 to my pillow and was good with it.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Doubt I'll ever do that again. I thought I'd never see back to back, I was wrong there too. Just gotta ride that wave when you're on it. I stopped because I was gassed and physically exhausted and it was 2am. Took that 4 for 4 to my pillow and was good with it.
    I hear ya, on the mend after thumb joint fusion surgery, week 3
    of 6 with a soft cast, and pins in joint now. Off the water LOL
    Enjoy your reports!

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
    Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Got to love that action! Congrats and thank for the share. Stoked!

Upvote 0

Yolo

Outcasts
    May 30, 2006
    San Diego
    www.sandiegofishingclub.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Relentless
    Surprised you can still type on a keyboard...had three in a short period in May and my hand was "messed up"! Took some downtime to mend.

Great write up..

Thx

m

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Surprised you can still type on a keyboard...had three in a short period in May and my hand was "messed up"! Took some downtime to mend.

Great write up..

Thx

m
    Truth! On the 4th consecutive fish, I was gassed (arms and hands were toast) and hence why I needed to pass that fish off to my friend. It was a lot of fun watching my friend engage in his longest battle ever (1.5hrs) on a fish. Didn’t end the way we hoped, but at least he got the experience on what it was like to pull on a giant all the way to the surface.

Upvote 0