Royal Polaris - OC Tuna 4 day trip report (part 1)

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Hi Doug, looks like another fun adventure with a great group! It is possible you may have hooked another species... possibly Elvis? (swordfish) Depending on how deep you were and if it was a glow jig. I prefer the Mak 50 with 200 lbs. spectra with 400 lbs. Seaguar blue fluorocarbon leader for night jigging the 400-500 gram jigs. 48lbs. of drag at strike on a Calstar 775XXXH. You have to hold on tight and use the rail. I get bit on it. I also get bit-off too! I believe it is wise to bring the appropriate sized gun to a gun fight...

Cheers!

- Jeff Burroughs
Hey Jeff,

I've never hooked Elvis, so I don't have anything to compare to it. Tail beats and the way it was fighting I'm confident that was just one of those super jumbos that we'll never land. I was shallow around 50' because I wasn't even at my first marker. Reel was in gear because they were bringing a gaffed fish down the port side and I stopped to lift my rod and not to get tangled with others. I almost lost my entire setup, the bite was so violent. I was lucky that I was hanging on and not at strike when it bit, otherwise that Viper and Mak would be in the ocean right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Doug- Thanks for the write up. And, for organizing another epic trip. All in all slow fishing, but we still had the best time out there. Hard not to have fun with that group of friends!

I felt very fortunate to land my single fish on the first night (120lb). I was one of many that didn't fair so well the rest of the trip. I ended up losing my next three hookups. My last being a heartbreaker, that chewed through the 200lb bite leader like it was 20lb. We hooked 6-7 fish in that school, losing 5 to breakoffs and pulled hooks. The two that did hit the deck were 199 and 238, so you can imagine the size of those that got away.

Those were some of the biggest. Meanest. And strongest fish I have ever seen.

My kit for next trip: Mak20 100lb hollow, spliced to 100ft 200lb hollow and 300lb bite leader. I'm still blown away they were snapping 100-130 spectra and 200lb bite leaders!
K - right?! I got more RR's to replace the ones that were lost during battle. You and I both know we're going to be rigging these up with 300lb the next time we visit SCI. Like you, I'm still amazed how these giants can just chew through 200lb fluoro in short time. Fishing tight drags past strike is an absolute must if you want to get these giants on the right side of the wood. We have these giants figured out for now....so when we get a shot at them again, it's going to be different for sure. Fun and Epic times with this funny group of characters! Until we ride again.....RP Magic!

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Great catch And limits of fun with that group.
Thanks for sharing!
Oh we definitely have full boat limits of fun...daily happy hour in the galley despite fishing conditions. Rule #1 - Have fun! Rule #2 - Laugh a lot and harder than the day before !!! We've got that comedy show down nailed on the boat! Fun times?! hahaha.....some of the new guys said it's like being a live reality comedy show, but pulling on big fish! Good times aboard the RP!

1627660972028.png

1627660996938.png

1627661067617.png

1627661132364.png

1627661161001.png

Upvote 0

albackore

Sportfishing Gear
Mar 9, 2006
Victorville CA
Name
Jeff Jost
Boat
8-inch Whaler
Thanks for the great write-up and photos! It's been a long time, but I'm finally getting back on the water next month. Looks like an Avet HX3 Raptor is in my very near future.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Thanks for the great write-up and photos! It's been a long time, but I'm finally getting back on the water next month. Looks like an Avet HX3 Raptor is in my very near future.

You got it... BTW - my buddy landed his 238 on the HX3 Raptor.....mid sized powerhouse of a reel that got the job done!

Upvote 0