Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Only slightly off topic: If there is no bait to make at Hurricane Bank, why are the fish there? I know the crew can often take fliers at night at the Bank. Is that all there is?
Those cows are actually pigs. They eat anything and everything. They run along the bottom of the high spots and scoop up whatever swims.
We've all seen these:

Reactions: woodfish330 and GES

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
They’re having a great trip and have been releasing everything under a hundred. Big D reported they made a tank of bait. ???

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
Flyers are made nightly at the bank, needed for the kite. Kite is what’s producing now as getting a bait through the small fish is a tough task.

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Strangest thing I have seen was on the anchor at HB, we were anchor on the alpha spot. Deck hand was in the process of making some fresh chunk bait from a 50# or so fish. Stomach content was nothing but cantaloupe rine. The boat anchored ahead of us had just dumped there morning garbage.
This took place in 06/7 ?? on the Indie.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
A dude on here. Was on a trip at HB and a YFT stomach had rib bones and watermelon rind. There was another boat on the anchor near by. Who had recently eaten watermelon and ribs

It's the line that can be a big dither imo. Fish need to be overly stimulated to eat it most often. Or lazy chunk fish

The less the moon is out or small. The easier to scoop the flyers. Darker the better so they come to the boat lights. If the moon comes out at 3am. The crew had a long flyer scooping window. Or something like that

Last edited:

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Those crazy tuna appetites gave me an idea for a recipe - seared canadian-bacon-wrapped tuna belly with cantaloupe salsa! I'm gonna try some when I get home. I'll post pics and a review of its deliciousness.

Reactions: Spear or rod

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
I asked the AA crew about stomach content finds and they said once they found a rod butt cap in one and another a tooth brush in a tuna stomach. For me it's sea horses in a 75-100 lbs tuna stomach. Those little box fishes are interesting find. Tuna must swim through schools and gobble them up like M and Ms.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
We cut a 100lb tunas stomach open at the Lupe a couple years ago and it was bloated on Sauries (my spelling is probably wrong). Opportunistic feeders

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
We cut a 100lb tunas stomach open at the Lupe a couple years ago and it was bloated on Sauries (my spelling is probably wrong). Opportunistic feeders
That is a top secret long line bait. Maybe bring some frozen on your next trip.

Reactions: ZZZZZ