T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Just got back from a six-day Guadalupe trip on the RP. I took daily notes like last year's Shogun trip. Here they are with some photos mixed in--and some annotations with extra detail here and there.

Also, a few background details to add: In the days prior to departure, I was keeping an eye on the weather and saw the forecast called for very windy conditions on Sunday and Monday. The weatherman had it right with a steady 20 knots of wind all day with gusts to maybe 30! Saturday and Tuesday were not bad with 10 knots or so...

Other notes:

RP crew was top notch. Not a weak link from wheelhouse to galley. Great operation! Passengers all meshed fairly well and played nice at the rail for the most part, too! This was a limited load of 26 which was nice for anchor fishing.

The sardines are still on the smaller side. And there wasn't much current until our final day of fishing. Those that adapted to this did very well. There was a husband/wife team that fished lots of 50-lb and j-hooks and they were ALWAYS bit. They also had a very good hook:land ratio (sharks were only a minor nuisance). In hindsight, there were times I tried to force feed them 60-lb string that I probably should have been quicker to drop down. Anyhow, here's what I made note of every day...

11/25:
Standard plan, check in at Ensenada and head across. They baited up the day before, so we really have a jump on things. No mention of the wind during seminar. Crew not concerned.
1318 arrival into Ensenada. Great weather. Off with the sweatshirt. Kevin in Ensenada Harbor:

Back on our way at 1348. Guadalupe by morning.
Everything rigged except dropper loop and popping rod.
Still rolling in nice weather.

Dinner:

11/26:
Still smooth sailing. There she is! 0606hrs. I'm coffeed up and ready to rock!

It's' a steady pick all day. One 70-lb. fish for me early. Nothing after that and I fished hard. Jonathan said the conditions were right for the chunk so I gave that a shot for an hour or so. My friend Kevin got a good kite fish and another bait fish later, pulled the hook on another. Guys that dropped to 50 did well. No sharks. Sea lions were a pain in the ass.
Used the 4/0 3X strong Mustads today. Much more finesse style this go around.

Kevin leaning into a kite fish:

11/27:
Up @ 0430. Wind is definitely up, too. Gusts to 30kts forecasted for today and tomorrow.
Plenty of opportunities today. Those fishing small hooks and 50-lb are getting the most bites. I went two for four today, Kevin 2 for 6. Got two bites on the chunk. Pulled the hook on the good one right as it got it up and down and put a tad more heat on it. Oh, well, better to have that happen early. I'd never fished chunk before this trip, so I was not afraid to ask the crew...."just let it sink back there!" they said.
"Okay, got it." There's no doubt when they eat that thing! I did find myself having to maneuver back and forth across the stern to keep the chunk in front of me as the boat was really swinging in the wind. Just like any other style, you've gotta work at it.
My other fish came on 50 lb. with a 3X 3/0 Mustad demon. Broke the hook at the barb but still got the fish. That's the third hook I've broken now at Guadalupe. And I've landed all three fish!

11/28:
Not too windy this morning. Built all day, though. Rain squalls in the PM. Slow pick all day, then died in the afternoon as the weather built. Got one early on 50 lb and a Spanish Mack that Eddie pinned on for me. Later got one on the kite after a few snafus on that--seals eating baits, pulled hooks, etc. I was wishing for a welder's mask because the sun was so bad. Couldn't see the baits at all.
Seems like I've been ok in the AM and cold in the PM. It's really turned into a finesse bite and I've been trying to force the issue with 60.
Also, on a non-fishing note, Jonathan had to address some passengers that found it appropriate to scream, "deckhand!" whenever they needed, or thought they needed, help. It's not that hard to learn a name or two! I'm glad he said something as it was bugging me, so it had to be tough for the crew, although I gotta say, they were always cordial.
Made bait tonight (every night occurrence this trip--most of this was for kite bait).
Happy rainbow over the Apollo:

11/29:
Up at 0500. Weather seems to have backed off. Time to get it done! Last day of fishing. All gear is re-tied and ready. We made some tube macks last night that Jonathan said we'd fly line so I have some bigger 5/0 and 6/0 Trokar hooks on a couple rigs.
Tube macks ended up being key for me today. Hooked four, landed three with two of those hitting the century mark. Kevin and I both pitched out the big baits at the same time and we both got bit within 20 seconds of one another!

Broke off the fourth fish on 60-lb. Got a little too eager at the end game and pushed the lever all the way forward on what was certainly the last circle before gaff.

Finished the day at the "29" and a few other spots trying for YT. Boat got a few. I pulled the hook on one. And we're done. Ate dinner and started the crossing to Ensenada. Good times! I love this island!

Some more pics and a vid with wingman extraordinaire, Terrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
Congrats on a great trip and thank you for the report.

The island presents new challenges every trip and the successful angler must adapt. It sounds like you did (chunking, 50#, tubes....) which added to your success. I have said this before, after fishing that place 11 times I have not had two trips that were the same. Maybe they would be if they were back to back trips but when they are in back to back years all bets are off.

Chris, you are a skilled angler (I know because I have fished with you before at that place) who was prepared and then you made adjustments including trying new things......well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Just got back from a six-day Guadalupe trip on the RP. I took daily notes like last year's Shogun trip. Here they are with some photos mixed in--and some annotations with extra detail here and there.

Also, a few background details to add: In the days prior to departure, I was keeping an eye on the weather and saw the forecast called for very windy conditions on Sunday and Monday. The weatherman had it right with a steady 20 knots of wind all day with gusts to maybe 30! Saturday and Tuesday were not bad with 10 knots or so...

Other notes:

RP crew was top notch. Not a weak link from wheelhouse to galley. Great operation! Passengers all meshed fairly well and played nice at the rail for the most part, too! This was a limited load of 26 which was nice for anchor fishing.

The sardines are still on the smaller side. And there wasn't much current until our final day of fishing. Those that adapted to this did very well. There was a husband/wife team that fished lots of 50-lb and j-hooks and they were ALWAYS bit. They also high a very good hook:land ratio (sharks were only a minor nuisance). In hindsight, there were times I tried to force feed them 60-lb string that I probably should have been quicker to drop down. Anyhow, here's what I made note of every day...

11/25:
Standard plan, check in at Ensenada and head across. They baited up the day before, so we really have a jump on things. No mention of the wind during seminar. Crew not concerned.
1318 arrival into Ensenada. Great weather. Off with the sweatshirt. Kevin in Ensenada Harbor:

Back on our way at 1348. Guadalupe by morning.
Everything rigged except dropper loop and popping rod.
Still rolling in nice weather.

Dinner:

11/26:
Still smooth sailing. There she is! 0606hrs. I'm coffeed up and ready to rock!

It's' a steady pick all day. One 70-lb. fish for me early. Nothing after that and I fished hard. Jonathan said the conditions were right for the chunk so I gave that a shot for an hour or so. My friend Kevin got a good kite fish and another bait fish later, pulled the hook on another. Guys that dropped to 50 did well. No sharks. Sea lions were a pain in the ass.
Used the 4/0 3X strong Mustads today. Much more finesse style this go around.

Kevin leaning into a kite fish:

11/27:
Up @ 0430. Wind is definitely up, too. Gusts to 30kts forecasted for today and tomorrow.
Plenty of opportunities today. Those fishing small hooks and 50-lb are getting the most bites. I went two for four today, Kevin 2 for 6. Got two bites on the chunk. Pulled the hook on the good one right as it got it up and down and put a tad more heat on it. Oh, well, better to have that happen early. I'd never fished chunk before this trip, so I was not afraid to ask the crew...."just let it sink back there!" they said.
"Okay, got it." There's no doubt when they eat that thing! I did find myself having to maneuver back and forth across the stern to keep the chunk in front of me as the boat was really swinging in the wind. Just like any other style, you've gotta work at it.
My other fish came on 50 lb. with a 3X 3/0 Mustad demon. Broke the hook at the barb but still got the fish. That's the third hook I've broken now at Guadalupe. And I've landed all three fish!

11/28:
Not too windy this morning. Built all day, though. Rain squalls in the PM. Slow pick all day, then died in the afternoon as the weather built. Got one early on 50 lb and a Spanish Mack that Eddie pinned on for me. Later got one on the kite after a few snafus on that--seals eating baits, pulled hooks, etc. I was wishing for a welder's mask because the sun was so bad. Couldn't see the baits at all.
Seems like I've been ok in the AM and cold in the PM. It's really turned into a finesse bite and I've been trying to force the issue with 60.
Also, on a non-fishing note, Jonathan had to address some passengers that found it appropriate to scream, "deckhand!" whenever they needed, or thought they needed, help. It's not that hard to learn a name or two! I'm glad he said something as it was bugging me, so it had to be tough for the crew, although I gotta say, they were always cordial.
Made bait tonight (every night occurrence this trip--most of this was for kite bait).
Happy rainbow over the Apollo:

11/29:
Up at 0500. Weather seems to have backed off. Time to get it done! Last day of fishing. All gear is re-tied and ready. We made some tube macks last night that Jonathan said we'd fly line so I have some bigger 5/0 and 6/0 Trokar hooks on a couple rigs.
Tube macks ended up being key for me today. Hooked four, landed three with two of those hitting the century mark. Kevin and I both pitched out the big baits at the same time and we both got bit within 20 seconds of one another!

Broke off the fourth fish on 60-lb. Got a little too eager at the end game and pushed the lever all the way forward on what was certainly the last circle before gaff.

Finished the day at the "29" and a few other spots trying for YT. Boat got a few. I pulled the hook on one. And we're done. Ate dinner and started the crossing to Ensenada. Good times! I love this island!

Some more pics and a vid with wingman extraordinaire, Terrence.

Nice write up, and glad you made the Best of it, with all that wind.

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
Nice, I'd frame that pic with you , you're bud and the Island in the background.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Thanks for the good info. I leave in 10 days and I am going to change some of my setups to be ready in case the fish are picky. Last year everything was 60lb and 80lb and 4/0 and 5/0 hooks. This year you have to be ready with lighter outfits and smaller hooks.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Congrats on a great trip and thank you for the report.

The island presents new challenges every trip and the successful angler must adapt. It sounds like you did (chunking, 50#, tubes....) which added to your success. I have said this before, after fishing that place 11 times I have not had two trips that were the same. Maybe they would be if they were back to back trips but when they are in back to back years all bets are off.

Chris, you are a skilled angler (I know because I have fished with you before at that place) who was prepared and then you made adjustments including trying new things......well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words, Luke! I sure missed fishing with you this year. That was only trip #4 down there for me, but I completely agree on each one being unique.

Last edited:

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Thanks for the good info. I leave in 10 days and I am going to change some of my setups to be ready in case the fish are picky. Last year everything was 60lb and 80lb and 4/0 and 5/0 hooks. This year you have to be ready with lighter outfits and smaller hooks.
It was definitely a different ball game with small bait and weak current (except Tues when it was ripping pretty well). The hot sticks used the Fathom 30 and 40 with 65-lb. spectra and 50 or 60-lb. Seaguar Premiere.

I should also mention that the chunk and mack fishing was anything but finesse. 80-lb worked just fine for that.

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
It was definitely a different ball game with small bait and weak current (except Tues when it was ripping pretty well). The hot sticks used the Fathom 30 and 40 with 65-lb. spectra and 50 or 60-lb. Seaguar Premiere.

Chris My Friend Keith, has not been the Same Since
he fished that Trip, on The Shogun Last Year.

Throw Iron

Jun 17, 2008
Vista, Ca USA
Name
Brian
Boat
26 World Cat
Thanks for the great report! I'm leaving Saturday for a 6 day on the Shogun. Wasn't planning on using much 50 lb until reading this. Congrats on your fish!

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Great read, felt like I was there, again..!!!

Guess I better add a good 50# rig for the next trip just to be safe.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Great report! Thanks for all the details and killer pictures. Looks like another awesome Guadalupe trip!

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Thanks for the great report! I'm leaving Saturday for a 6 day on the Shogun. Wasn't planning on using much 50 lb until reading this. Congrats on your fish!
Sure thing! If you have good bait and current, 60 still may be a good choice.

Reactions: Throw Iron

alan760

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Was the woman Nan? If so she has fishing skills. Chunk fishing is not finesse fishing, you can step up your gear and hook size. When the chunk starts swimming out the reel in gear and hang on.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Was the woman Nan? If so she has fishing skills. Chunk fishing is not finesse fishing, you can step up your gear and hook size. When the chunk starts swimming out the reel in gear and hang on.
Nan=Nanette? Yes, that's her. She did very well.

I fished the heaviest gear I had (80 and 100) when I chunked. I should have brought some swiveled circles with me.

alan760

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler

I fished the heaviest gear I had (80 and 100) when I chunked. I should have brought some swiveled circles with me.

Yup that's her. Picked up a friend who was on the Apollo this morning and saw some of your gang at Fish Pros and they also mentioned Nans skills. Got a sample of lupe tuna in my frig.

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Thanks for the great report. Some of our Oregon friends on your trip.

The couple....Jack and Nanette...fished with them on Lupe trip last year. They were the hot sticks on that trip too...great folks to share the rail with. Nanette is "Warrior Princess" here :-) They have the Lupe light tackle thing down to a science.

gregory

Jul 1, 2004
da OC
Name
gregory
Boat
float tube
Excellent report n job on the tuna, Chris! Hope to fish with you again...

The Shogun had to cancel our 6 day trip due to a transmission problem and no parts available. Just got off a 1.5 day on the Toronado but the weather was up n the water temp dropped. Shutout...

greenie

Jun 1, 2003
Orange
Name
Greg
Boat
35 Skipjack Flybridge
Chris, great fishing with you and great report. Hopefully we cross paths on another trip sometime soon. Thanks for all the laughs.

Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
Good report. It was one of the best groups that I've ever fished with at the Lupe. Really tough fishing conditions but everyone kept a positive attitude and stayed with it to bring home a nice fish count. Only one correction to the first post...Jack and I only caught a couple each on 50....all the rest were on 60. And we would NEVER have handed off any of those fish on anything less then 60. Was a great trip....still creeps me out with the tuna heart as bait! Worked for you!

WP :)
Nanette

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Excellent report n job on the tuna, Chris! Hope to fish with you again...

The Shogun had to cancel our 6 day trip due to a transmission problem and no parts available. Just got off a 1.5 day on the Toronado but the weather was up n the water temp dropped. Shutout...
Oh, man, Greg! I was so bummed for you when I heard the news! I hope you can get redemption soon. Would love to be there when you do.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Good report. It was one of the best groups that I've ever fished with at the Lupe. Really tough fishing conditions but everyone kept a positive attitude and stayed with it to bring home a nice fish count. Only one correction to the first post...Jack and I only caught a couple each on 50....all the rest were on 60. And we would NEVER have handed off any of those fish on anything less then 60. Was a great trip....still creeps me out with the tuna heart as bait! Worked for you!

WP :)
Nanette
Ah, thanks for clarifying! I was a little apprehensive about mentioning 50...if everyone shows up fishing with 50 on upcoming trips, a few crew members may come looking for me!
You guys were hot. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a bunch fishing 80.
Never would have occurred to me to try a heart, but it's always fun to learn a new way to skin a cat!

Apr 28, 2003
Huntington Beach
Visit site
Name
Nanette
Boat
none
Ah, thanks for clarifying! I was a little apprehensive about mentioning 50...if everyone shows up fishing with 50 on upcoming trips, a few crew members may come looking for me!
You guys were hot. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a bunch fishing 80.
Never would have occurred to me to try a heart, but it's always fun to learn a new way to skin a cat!

You did well with that heart/aorita combo. Big fish as I recall. Still creeps me out, think I'll stick with the little bait. Was fun fishing with you and hope to see you again.
WP:)
Nanette..

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
As a guy who's never fished Lupe, I appreciate the detailed info. With such a limited number of opportunities due to conditions, talk about taking adaptability to a new level! Cheers on putting those skills on display when it mattered most.