norcaltunaclub

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Pushed off on Thursday, 07/30 @ 10am with 27 passengers on board that were locked and loaded. Capt. Roy came down and gave us the usual speech on the stern and told us to get ready to start fishing that afternoon around 2pm. Like clockwork, we arrive on time and immediately the bite gets into full swing. 4 of us on the bow all got bit simultaneously on 35lb and we got the skunk off boat quickly. From that point on, is was game on.

Departure Day - the dust settled around 5pm, we had 40 nice BFT in the boat ranging from 25-40lbs. Perfect and super fun size fish on the light gear. Many of us were grinding iron and to our surprise, the fish didn't want it on day #1.

Day #2 - we were all on the deck by 5am throwing flatfalls, colts, and an assortment of jigs in hope of a morning snap....the fish somehow forgot to read their email the night before. Again, no fish on the metal for the entire day. However, like the day before.....the fish wanted to get their lunch on at the same time - 2pm. From this point on, it became a blur..... The action was fast and furious with 7-8 guys on the bow all bent and a handful more on the stern doing their own dance. Typical RP Livin, I think we only lost 1 fish in a multi fish tangle....the crew was absolutely phenomenal with getting those fish unwrapped and separated. We ended the day with around 80+ fish

Day #3 - we woke up with some sore muscles and with a goal of about 40 fish to round out limits, we drank a few cups of coffee and got ready. On the menu today was another mid afternoon mayhem massacre......so we thought. This day they decided to bite in the mid morning and they wanted the iron...finally. What was working for myself, a 4oz. chrome Point Wilson Dart. Like a shiny new toy, it was catching the attention of those eager and willing BFT. I put 4 jig fish in the boat and decided to goof around the remainder of the day. Couple of my buddies stuck a few fish on the Colts and few came on surface iron as well. A nice grade of Ahi also made a showing for us....solid 35-40lb models.

Here's where the story gets weird and amazing - I took a break from jig fishing and decided to soak a bait on 30lb. Relaxing on the bow with my buddies Dan, Kenji, Mike and Dave and we're just chilling out and laughing our asses off from the prank that Kenji pulled on me the day before....classic! Anyhow, my bait gets mowed down and my fish runs straight out and off the bow, but then it became tail wrapped. Earlier in the trip, I tail wrapped 2 others with the hook actually lodged in the tail itself, so the feeling and fight was too familiar. Like clockwork the fish stops and I'm gently pulling the fish in backwards and about half way back, the fish decided it wasn't done and then dumped 3/4's of my spool on my Talica 12. I'm thinking to myself "WTF?"....because I know it's still tail wrapped by the way it's fighting. I turn to my buddies and told them if my fish is wrapped around my fluoro, this fight should be over quickly because he's going to break me off. I wait the fish out and when it stopped, I started my old routine....gently pulling him back in backwards.

This time, I told the guys that it's a good fish because there's some weight behind it. About 50 yards from the bow, the fish pops up tail wrapped and there's something stuck to it. At first, I thought it was a big piece of kelp.....but then I saw a tail beating in the air. I was like "WTF?" again, then as the fish got closer we all noticed that I had 2 BFT on my line! The RP has never seen a "2 for 1" on BFT, so this was a first for many. The deckhand asked Kenji to grab a gaff in order to get both fish simultaneously and to avoid breaking each other off. Treven (kick ass deckhand) instructed Kenji to gaff the left fish and he'll get the right fish.....on que, they both stick the fish and victory was had. Unreal fish story that didn't get away. Pair of bookend 30lbrs and memories to last a lifetime.

We ended the trip with full limits of BFT from 25-60lbs and couple handfuls of YFT and YT. Huge thanks to Capt. Roy and his wrecking crew and to Frank LoPreste!

Go to the 33:10 mark and listen to Frank on yesterday's show. - Frank on Let's Talk Hookup Show 08/02

Short Trip Video - RP 3 day 07/30 - 08/02

Last edited:

The Dr.

May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
I can't think of a better trip with a better group of friends! I was snake bit on day one with a pulled hook, gear failure and just plain bad luck. I rallied on day two with 8 bites and 5 fish landed. Day three I caught a few more and did land one on a Tady 45 surface iron!

The two for one was crazy. I'm just glad I gaffed your fish and didn't knock it off...

I'm sidelined for a few months during grape harvest, but will be back out in Nov. for another short trip. Maybe an Aztec 3day..

Big thanks to Doug and Dan for organizing a great 3day and keeping jokes rolling!!

Bet you'll think twice the next time someone says "Here Doug, just try it"...LOL

norcaltunaclub

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I can't think of a better trip with a better group of friends! I was snake bit on day one with a pulled hook, gear failure and just plain bad luck. I rallied on day two with 8 bites and 5 fish landed. Day three I caught a few more and did land one on a Tady 45 surface iron!

The two for one was crazy. I'm just glad I gaffed your fish and didn't knock it off...

I'm sidelined for a few months during grape harvest, but will be back out in Nov. for another short trip. Maybe an Aztec 3day..

Big thanks to Doug and Dan for organizing a great 3day and keeping jokes rolling!!

Bet you'll think twice the next time someone says "Here Doug, just try it"...LOL
"Under Pressure!" hahaha Crazy fun and hilarious times! Absolutely epic in every aspect and thanks for sticking the lefty! Until we laugh at the rail again......I'll be crafting up a payback plan. hahahaha!

2tuna

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
Great story! Sounds like a ridiculous time was had by all.

Thanks in part to you, I'll be heading out on the RP this Friday for my 8 day. Here's to hoping it'll be as much fun

Reactions: norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Great story! Sounds like a ridiculous time was had by all.

Thanks in part to you, I'll be heading out on the RP this Friday for my 8 day. Here's to hoping it'll be as much fun
Ridiculous time...absolutely!!! EPIC! Good luck on your trip that departs on Friday. Seems like you'll be getting on that wahoo and YT down at the Rocks and finishing up with BFT on the way home. Tell Ed Henne that I said "Hi". Be safe!

Reactions: 2tuna

FinHunter619

May 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Marty Parsons
Boat
VeXus AVX 1980
Nice report and great 2 BFT story and something you will remember for ever!!!