You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
Darren - Great fishing with you and Tommy again. Always a good time. Congrats on placing in your first jackpot too!!:D Hope to see you fellas again next season.....:-)

Oh, and I completely echo your sentiments about a clean bathroom...makes a huge difference to me. And I don't understand why some of these big ol' LR boats can't have a normal sized throne either. I think the RP has the best facilities of any boat I've been on.

Brian
It is always a pleasure Brian. There is nothing more enjoying than sitting there for 45 minutes and watching you put all those awesome rod and reel setups together, haha...

it's probably Canoas
Affirmative.

Royal_Polaris_Track.png

Upvote 0

manh3

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2011
san diego
Name
manh
Boat
nada
Looks like you guys had a blast, thanks for sharing the pictures. If you don't mind me asking, were most of the fish caught on fly lining sardines or jigging/yoyo?

Upvote 0

poncherello

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
Very nice detailed report Mike

Royal_Polaris_Track.png
[/quote]

Canoas has been producing this season. Not many boats stopping by.

BTW, what app are you using for the tracking? Also was this a sponsored trip or open party trip?

Nice sized YT for sure!

Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
Looks like you guys had a blast, thanks for sharing the pictures. If you don't mind me asking, were most of the fish caught on fly lining sardines or jigging/yoyo?
Thanks. When we pulled up on the school Saturday morning, it was all top-water jigs, shimano colsnipers, flat-falls, etc... They bit everything. After the weather picked up a few hours later, they went deep and it was dropper loop and yo-yo time. I'd like to give a special mention to the bait wraps jigs though. This trip was originally a Bait Wraps 5 day that got reduced to 3 days but a bait wrap rep was on board and gave everyone a jig to use. I was a skeptic, but my 1st 3 casts of the trip produced 3 yellowtail. These things work and I will be purchasing some more.

Very nice detailed report Mike

Canoas has been producing this season. Not many boats stopping by.

BTW, what app are you using for the tracking? Also was this a sponsored trip or open party trip?

Nice sized YT for sure!
Thanks, this was my first time to Canoas and that place is killer. I saw 1 panga the entire 3 days down there and no other boats.

The app is called Boating HD by Navionics that I got for my Galaxy S3. As I said above, it went from the bait wraps 5 day to an open party 3 day.

That's why the RP is at the top of the pinnacle in long range fishing.
Concur.

Upvote 0

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
Congrats on the great trip. I have been waiting to read a report like this for a long time this year. My 3 day and 5 day both fished the pens and Sam Clemente this year. We caught nice tuna but no keeper YT. It 'a great to know that the other type of trip still exists...

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Those deckhands need to sharpen up their gaffing skills !!
I'd be a bit embarrassed the way those DoDo's were gaffed.....

Yeah but you get a lot more experience gaffing dodos in no cal in rough weather. WTF..... Just how many did you gaff this year?

Reactions: beavisjohn
Upvote 0

mattyd102477

Jul 5, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Matt
Boat
None
Roy is the shit. I Love fishing with that guy!

Roy was seriously having more fun than we were.....that's usually some cliche statement, but honestly, the guy was having so much fun gaffing fish and watching tossed chum get eaten that he was having full on belly laughs. I've seen some captains that were awesome and really into the fishing, but never one that enjoyed a bite like Roy did on this trip. He was a real pleasure to have as a captain. Looking forward to fishing that boat again.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    My favorite pic is the birds nest....Classic. Have seen this boat sitting at the dock, but never had the pleasure of riding it. Ty for the report!

Frank Lopreste owner of the RP first launched her in 1973 I think. He along with Bill Poole basically invented Long Range fishing as we know it today.

There is not a better operation on or off the water.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Roy was seriously having more fun than we were.....that's usually some cliche statement, but honestly, the guy was having so much fun gaffing fish and watching tossed chum get eaten that he was having full on belly laughs. I've seen some captains that were awesome and really into the fishing, but never one that enjoyed a bite like Roy did on this trip. He was a real pleasure to have as a captain. Looking forward to fishing that boat again.

That's the truth. He seems to have more fun than anyone. I was on a trip that everyone just handed him their rod and in a rotation he just kept casting. I know that sounds weird but he just kept the rotation going and we all just kept catching fish .

Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
    irvine,ca
    Name
    lowell
    Boat
    bath tub
    That's the truth. He seems to have more fun than anyone. I was on a trip that everyone just handed him their rod and in a rotation he just kept casting. I know that sounds weird but he just kept the rotation going and we all just kept catching fish .

That's a ROYTATION !

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Great pics! Are those considered bad gaffs on the dorado? Right in the loins.

Hey Jerry,

We'll cut you some slack as a newbie on this one :).

1. The Royal Polaris is the first true Long Range boat (as we know them today with all the amenities) launched in 1974 and in continuous operation since. They invented LR fishing, they know how to gaff :).

2. In a WFO Dorado bite with tonnage coming over the side you can be certain no one cared.

3. As you gain more experience LR you will be overwhelmed with the amount of fish you generally have caught and have at home. No one worries about a tiny loss when you have several hundred pounds of fish after such a trip. They just want the fish in the boat before it tangles with 7 other guys hooked up.

In time, such trivial concerns will fade from your radar and you will laugh at this old post where you thought it mattered. Don't worry, you'll get it. :)

Reactions: jerryl
    Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
    Feb 18, 2013
    www.semperfidelis.com
    Name
    Darren
    Boat
    "I wish"
    Hey Jerry,

We'll cut you some slack as a newbie on this one :).

1. The Royal Polaris is the first true Long Range boat (as we know them today with all the amenities) launched in 1974 and in continuous operation since. They invented LR fishing, they know how to gaff :).

2. In a WFO Dorado bite with tonnage coming over the side you can be certain no one cared.

3. As you gain more experience LR you will be overwhelmed with the amount of fish you generally have caught and have at home. No one worries about a tiny loss when you have several hundred pounds of fish after such a trip. They just want the fish in the boat before it tangles with 7 other guys hooked up.

In time, such trivial concerns will fade from your radar and you will laugh at this old post where you thought it mattered. Don't worry, you'll get it. :)
    Exactly, if you've never seen 20 to 25 dorado hooked up at once, most at deep color, you will be appreciative that they could even get them to gaff.

Reactions: jerryl
    Upvote 0