• Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    Rick,
    You too, Brandon and I appreciate all your help. We learned all we know about cute “Man baits” from you! Along with the red hooks, blue spectra, fishing dead flyers in the gray (I just received my glow lights from ebay) and setting up for grouper. Looking forward to fishing with you next year and seeing the next set of tricks you are going to pull out of your hat 🎩

Reactions: rickberg
    Upvote 0

rickberg

Jul 2, 2009
    saratoga ca
    Name
    rickberg
    Boat Name
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    Rick,
    You too, Brandon and I appreciate all your help. We learned all we know about cute “Man baits” from you! Along with the red hooks, blue spectra, fishing dead flyers in the gray (I just received my glow lights from ebay) and setting up for grouper. Looking forward to fishing with you next year and seeing the next set of tricks you are going to pull out of your hat 🎩
    Always good times fishing with you and Brandon!

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
  • Sep 8, 2017
    La Mirada/Whittier
    Name
    Logan
    Boat Name
    Wanting a bigger boat
    On one of these 13-17 day trips how common is it for someone to catch a cow, if not two? Always wondered how many people actually get a fish over the 200lb mark on a trip

Steve K
    Steve K
    My last January 14 day, jackpot fish was a Buck Sixty-Five.

No guarantees on trophies. But we sure have a good time.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    22ft, Pursuit
    On one of these 13-17 day trips how common is it for someone to catch a cow, if not two? Always wondered how many people actually get a fish over the 200lb mark on a trip
    Hard one too tell?? I would say on average right now it probable comes down to two or three over 200# a trip.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III

You probably have a better chance at a Cow fishing locally for the Bluefin. Long trips are great, but no guarantees. I’m fortunate to be able to have the funds, the time and an understanding wife that allows me to go long. Really enjoy the boats, the light loads, the Anglers and the variety of fish we catch as well as the places we see.

Dumb luck, on my first long trip, June Heat ‘99, on the kite, I caught not one but two over 200. The significance of those fish became more and more apparent as the years passed without a Cow. My third Cow was also aerial assisted, have yet to catch one fly lining. Have come close a few times, handful in the high 190’s. Some guys might fish 20 years without a Cow.

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    On one of these 13-17 day trips how common is it for someone to catch a cow, if not two? Always wondered how many people actually get a fish over the 200lb mark on a
    Fishing the RP, You usually will catch a number of fish between #80 - #175. With a shot at catching a#300+. It also depends on what trip you are on , the crew, captain and the passengers.

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    awesome trip and report but I’d rethink the title, don‘t jinx yourself. The fish gods might nit take kindly to that kind of thing if you know what I mean….
    Not worried about it at all. The reason being, I brought my new bible on the trip and read about 100 pages. It is a chronology study bible (NIV version) that rearranges all the books in the bible to their point in time. It is easier to study, many times it is a little confusing in the bible to place the time period of what they were talking about, so this makes it easier to study. Now I will let you determine if that made a difference in my success on this trip. A great trip is when everyone comes home safe, catching fish is secondary.👍🎣

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    I would recommend you re-read my post before your judgement , it seems you miss the part of me saying “I am sure there are fisherman that can pick up a hook out of the trashcan, fish straight mono on a old rod and out-fish me all day long”
    Remember, I do not have to post anything about my accomplishments. I know how anglers are looking for their trophy fish, it would be great if the info I provide would help them accomplish their goal.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    For someone who's been on this site for a long time and only has 88 posts, and from reading his posts in this thread, I never took it for boasting. Simply stating, and then sharing a ton of info for those of us that one day hope to hook - and land! - one of those cows or supers.

I would like to know how/why your fish were dead when finally pulled over, Guyster... do you just hammer them so hard for the whole fight? Were they "shorter" fights than many of the 1 to 2 or more hours I've read about people tangling with cows and supers?

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
  • Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat Name
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Every fish has it's own personality, some come in dead, some come in green, and some decide not to come in whatsoever.....yeehaw, go cow fishing!!

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    For someone who's been on this site for a long time and only has 88 posts, and from reading his posts in this thread, I never took it for boasting. Simply stating, and then sharing a ton of info for those of us that one day hope to hook - and land! - one of those cows or supers.

I would like to know how/why your fish were dead when finally pulled over, Guyster... do you just hammer them so hard for the whole fight? Were they "shorter" fights than many of the 1 to 2 or more hours I've read about people tangling with cows and supers?
    My son videoed my whole fight on both fish, i will see if I could get the last few minutes of each fight and post it to my Instagram. My goal was not to kill the fish, my goal was to keep constant pressure. now let's face it at the bank it is kinda hot and humid, I drink about a liter of water every morning and it is easy to get dehydrated. I fish the rail and the biggest help we have seen in our tackle is the AVET 3-speed reel, (I am in the business and can get my reels at dealer cost) as you fight your big fish the fish starts getting hot and so do you. Once we get hot and tired we get sloppy about keeping constant pressure on the fish. all those little pauses and drops of the rod give the fish moments of rest and a little recuperation. So I have a plan for fighting big fish, my strike is usually #35 (full around #50), I also wear gloves (mechanix from lowes) all this helps me concentrate on the fight and helps eliminate discomforts. So here is the key for me, I want to be hyper-focused on the fishes reactions, How is this fish going to react under stress? I know that all my gear is sano and 100% going into the water, I know how much stress I can put on my line and hooks, my line only has one real connection at the hook. now I do not "hammer down" on the fish, i let all the gear do the heavy lifting and just keep switching gears back and forth to keep the maximum pressure my gear at all times. This just wears the fish out, the fish just cannot get enough oxygen to keep going and slowly degrades. So most of the fight I am sitting on my butt of the rod on the rail and just riding it out. If he takes line, I don't care, I will get it back. You will need to also resist the crew and others telling you to "hammer the drag on him", I killed my #340 in 70 minutes and the #261 in 50 min. You will find your grove and stick with it. I take fishing seriously, So when I am on a trip I have my game plan set before we get on the boat. We all know that the game plan starts changing once we get there, but I have a number of contingency's plans also. If you are on a trip we am on I will tell you exactly what i am doing. TAKA's trip is known for all the anglers helping each other, If you catch a fish bigger than me I will clap the loudest and try to reverse engineer how you out-fished me.
    Guy

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    Great stuff. Thanks Guy!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    I caught my biggest largemouth at Otay many years ago with my dad. A summer fish. 11.0 lbs. At 4 p.m. We had our game plan, followed it all day and had one 2 lber. to show for it. But at 4 p.m. we were at the spot dictated by our game plan based upon everything that happened previously that day. Pays to have a plan!

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    I caught my biggest largemouth at Otay many years ago with my dad. A summer fish. 11.0 lbs. At 4 p.m. We had our game plan, followed it all day and had one 2 lber. to show for it. But at 4 p.m. we were at the spot dictated by our game plan based upon everything that happened previously that day. Pays to have a plan
    Great stuff. Thanks Guy!
    🎣👍

Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat Name
    wurtdirt
    I used a 4 oz sinker taped onto my line up about 6' and after being out 400' got picked up by my #261.
    Guy, how and why do you tape your sinker onto your line as opposed to attaching it with a rubber band? Better prevention from it from sliding? Or faster to add and remove?

I fished with you, your son and daughters once on the RP. I can attest to your combined skill, and it was fun to see you guys work effectively as a team.

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    Guy, how and why do you tape your sinker onto your line as opposed to attaching it with a rubber band? Better prevention from it from sliding? Or faster to add and remove?

I fished with you, your son and daughters once on the RP. I can attest to your combined skill, and it was fun to see you guys work effectively as a team.
    The biggest reason is to keep it from swinging around and grabbing other lines. If you have fish hanging at deep color the sinker will grab other loose lines and worse grabbing another fish. Now you are both wrapped and it is difficult to clear them. I use black electrical tape, Scotch 33

Upvote 0

dtf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 16, 2004
    So. Bay Ca
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    22ft, Pursuit
    I also thought it was to kept a un -welcomed visitor who might like that some what shiny thing going up and down??

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    I also thought it was to kept a un -welcomed visitor who might like that some what shiny thing going up and down??
    I will give you a long answer to a short question. This will be your big tuna tip of the day. When you fish with excellent fisherman, look at their gear when they are setting up and going into the water. If you see something different or a little odd about their gear, they is a exacting reason why they are setting up that way. So ask yourself “What is the reason for that?” Frank LoPreste told me on my first 18-day on the RP, 25yrs ago (after I had no fish for 5 long 3am-6pm days) “stop fishing, go get a beer, sit up on the upper deck and watch what these excellent anglers are doing. Do what they are doing, not what you think you should do, because you are probably doing it wrong. When you put in the rail time as they have, you will catch fish” i was fishing with Stas, Frank Matzahara, Don Burnside, Steve owner of Izorline, Frank Harbin, etc.

Ok…. I do not have ANY shiny things on my Tuna rigs, all my terminal gear is painted super flat black, including all my sinkers. (Yes, I also take my little aluminum crimps and paint them to) the tape may be a little glossy.
    I believe it is worth all the trouble to do that and I probably caught the biggest fish that the RP will have all season.
    Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    I will give you a long answer to a short question. This will be your big tuna tip of the day. When you fish with excellent fisherman, look at their gear when they are setting up and going into the water. If you see something different or a little odd about their gear, they is a exacting reason why they are setting up that way. So ask yourself “What is the reason for that?” Frank LoPreste told me on my first 18-day on the RP, 25yrs ago (after I had no fish for 5 long 3am-6pm days) “stop fishing, go get a beer, sit up on the upper deck and watch what these excellent anglers are doing. Do what they are doing, not what you think you should do, because you are probably doing it wrong. When you put in the rail time as they have, you will catch fish” i was fishing with Stas, Frank Matzahara, Don Burnside, Steve owner of Izorline, Frank Harbin, etc.

Ok…. I do not have ANY shiny things on my Tuna rigs, all my terminal gear is painted super flat black, including all my sinkers. (Yes, I also take my little aluminum crimps and paint them to) the tape may be a little glossy.
    I believe it is worth all the trouble to do that and I probably caught the biggest fish that the RP will have all season.
    Hope this helps

Nuf-said, Guy!

An old Sensei: used to say that students observing training, bouts or kata were not wasting time, but "stealing knowledge"... not so much "stealing" as aquiring.

(History can be informative, if your paying attention... )

Upvote 0