Routing transducer cables

RipLippinD

Mar 24, 2021
Southern California (inland)
Name
Dennis Daniels
Boat
15’ Key West
I have a 15’ Key West center counsel that I have already mounted the transducer on. I am now trying to route the cable from the stern up into the center counsel where the device will be mounted. When I attempt to route the cable through the hull under the deck it seems to go straight passed the counsel. Any advice/tips for easy cable routing would be much appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

fishincrazy

100 Ton
Jun 21, 2005
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
25' Mako "Get Hooked"
I think if you show some pics of what you are running into we could help you a little better.

One note on routing cable is try to keep it isolated best you can away from other cables, hoses...to reduce the interference.

Reactions: Bella star

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Try using a fish tape. Go from the console down, following the wire bundle you already have. Once you see the other end, wrap the end of the wire on the fish tape. Wrap the wire with electrical tape and make sure the end of the wire is tapered. Keep wrapping around the wire for about one foot to make sure it doesn't slip while you pull. This way, it won't snag when you pull on the fish tape from the console. Obviously, its easier if there is no connector at the end.

Another trick is to tie a 1/8" smooth nylon or poly rope to the end of the fish tape. Pull the fish tape back until you see the rope at the console. Now pull out more rope until its longer than the distance to your console. Tie both ends of the rope to the boat somewhere. Mark the middle of the rope with a sharpie. Now you have a way to pull wire anytime without a fish tape. Just tape your wire to the middle of the rope at the sharpie mark and pull on the other end. You can pull from the console side or pull from opposite side. It makes future wiring jobs a lot easier and faster. Get the smooth rope and not the ones with the rough surfaces. It makes pulling a lot easier. Just coil up the excess rope and tie it so its not hanging loose.

You can also get the rope for free from Home Depot. They put a big roll of rope near the exit for people to use. Pull about 30 ft of that and it should be more than enough from your console to the stern. The thicker nylon rope is stronger.

Last edited:

joefish808

Aug 6, 2015
OC/LA
Name
Joe
Boat
EdgeWater 145CC
I've had to fish a cable under my 14 foot center console under deck as well. I straightend out a metal clothes hanger to make it straight and then attached the ducer cable to the clothes hanger with duct tape. Of course, i had lighting at shining at the end of where i needed the wire to go and had a headlamp on my head as I fished it through.

Upvote 0