Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
Decided to make another trip south of the border to Los Barriles and stay at my friend Patti's awesome place - Los Pescadores with my buddy. The full moon was in full swing and the fishing ended up being - slow... We got some damn good big Amberjack (98lbs and 50lbs),, some nice Dorado, some good snapper, but Wahoo and Marlin eluded us! Got my first Dog Toothed Snapper too - that was pretty cool. The temps were hovering around 100 degrees each day. It was freaking hot with little wind.. We fished hard for four days but winds picked up in afternoon of 3rd and 4th day, 3rd day made it very interesting loading onto the trailer from the 5ft crashing surf. Although the fishing was way tougher than in June, we still had a blast! I made one serious mistake - I threw a prefect ballyhoo out to a nice Marlin about 50 yards away. Twitched and got him to commit, he hit it like a freight train, after a couple amazing runs, he was getting into my bottom of my line, I broke rule #1 - I tightened down the drag too much on my Shimano Twin Power spinning reel and snap goes the 50lb braid... Lost a nice 80lb fluorocarbon wind on in the process. We ended up doing some bottom fishing since blue water fishing wasn't producing. We had a couple sharks on but broke off by cutting through 300lb leader, as I didn't bring cable this trip. Last day, my FinNor 50 went off like a freight train, what appeared to be a large Blue Marlin (300lbs+) was jumping 300 yards parallel to the boat, within a second or two he was another 100ft in front of the boat, jumping and shaking violently.. Then slack! Hook popped! Another Auuuugh for me on the trip! That made four large fish I lost! Overall, a great time was had by both of us. If you get the opportunity or need additional information on staying at Los Pescadores with Patti and/or fishing with her team of excellent Captains shoot me a PM. I'm taking a break Aug and Sep from heading down, just too hot for me, but setting up end of Oct and possibly mid Nov!

Upvote 0

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
Pics…

866C7FFD-2C54-417D-A794-8C0C4951465A.jpeg

02A9FD17-35A6-483E-A2FE-C109B0E8DEF8.jpeg

B14CD44B-031B-4EFC-8EE8-4B5D78314C55.jpeg

25F6D9A7-5912-4BA4-BAA3-FB3D773D6AC6.jpeg

15AACB81-EA05-4345-9188-CF12B16B3BCE.jpeg

10E92588-F4DE-43A7-B9E7-2B6390B6E9FA.jpeg

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Doesn’t suck to be you! 👍

Reactions: Cohoho
Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Looks like a great trip. Been down a bunch of times to the East Cape, July is Hot AF! Had the best trips in September, it is not as hot, but humid and the risk of a hurricane is real....but the place is empty of tourists and the fishing can be off the charts!

Upvote 0

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
Yea a bunch of old timers absolutely love July for fishing but it was almost dead while we were there. Talked to Patti today, seems like a few Wahoo are making thier appearances yesterday.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Dude that AMBER is a beast. I knew Dick Stockwell in the day.... was the IGFA record holder for years. But that thing is massive. Not a great eater.... but one hell of a fighter... possibly even better than "HomeGuard" big YT. GREAT catch... great picts.....sorry they "schooled" you this time... make up for it next time!!

PS. .....laughing... Brother Ive been going to Los Barilles for decades..... and have ALSO been "schooled" there many times...lol.

Upvote 0

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
    Lake Tapps, Washington
    Name
    Cohoho
    Boat
    Come along next time, a serious fun and inexpensive trip. I think this time we fished for 4 days only - including pickup at airport food, lodging, boats and everything minus airline was $1200. Makes me want to do it every other month going forward this year. I'm heading back Oct and/or Nov. Too hot temperature wise for me right now.... I like it, as it a away from the gaggle at the hotels and the crowds down there, plus the captains are not just going on a boat ride as they work for Patti and give 100% effort! Added Plus - you don't need a tetanus shot for climbing down the broke rusted ass hotel dock ladder to their contracted boats.

Upvote 0