Rough Weekend Offshore

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by surfgoose, May 28, 2018.

1. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I just got home from four days on the CONDOR doing the annual Memorial Day Weekend 4-Day trip. The group of 24 was very mellow about four days of fairly rough weather and fish that didn't want to play with us. We began at 11am Thursday, baited-up at the EB pens with a bunch of very nice sardines, and rolled mostly west to see if we could find some of the Bluefin tuna that had been playing hide-n-seek with the fleet for the past couple of weeks. We passed the Coronado Islands from the north side and headed out towards the Butterfly. The weather was bumpy with lots of whitecaps, making spotting kelps very difficult. Late in the afternoon my number came up for a trolling position, and about ten minutes into my rotation I got bit. It turned out to be a small yellowtail, but big enough to keep, so I was happy to get onto the board on the first day.

The CONDOR was in good shape after the spring cleaning, and the crew were all familiar with the boat and each other. Capt. Scott Meisel was on the trip, but he mostly hung out with us on the deck while Capt. James Merrill took the lead in the wheelhouse during the daytime tuna hunt. Scotty Caslin kept everything running while the sea threw us around for four days, and Matt Arnold and Luke Jobbins were always on hand to untangle and gaff. The chef Christophe came up with his usual fine food for us.

We didn't get a Bluefin the first afternoon, and after sundown we turned south-east towards Colonet Reef and got set up on the high spot early Friday morning. We started whacking rockfish and whitefish, and I got the biggest sculpin I've seen, but the yellowtail were not around, so after only a couple of hours we pulled the anchor and headed west towards the offshore banks. We started finding small kelps about every half-hour, and either they were empty or we would get one or two small yellowtail but just couldn't find a school that wanted to play. But a full day of trolling got me onto the rotation in the stern again twice, and I dropped back a newly designed trolling rig of small green&yellow hoochies secured dorky-style with the line crimped forward, so that they would bounce around like a small bait ball, with a green and black lure just a little bigger than the hoochies carrying the hook and looking like a mack about the eat them. I was pleased to find that it worked very well, getting bit two times in a row by decent bonito, which I gave to others.

Most of the guys on the trip were very experienced, but we had a handful of new people trying a long trip for the first time. Ernest and his dad Reid were trying the offshore experience for the first time, and I noticed that he hadn't taken a trolling rotation yet. So I asked him why not, and he said that he didn't have the right gear, he and his day had rented their outfits for fishing but they didn't have a trolling rig. Sooo . . . I showed him an unused boat rod and lure, and showed him how to drop the lure back to run on the face of the third wave, and put it into the clips with the clicker on. Another troller the other side of me told me that he thought that the lures that Ernest and I were running were too far back, but I just smiled and said, "Yeah, you are probably going to get bit before we do, a lot of fish like the white water." But five minutes later, "HOOKUP!" and Ernest's rig is stretched tight.

I help him get the reel out of the clips and tell him "WIND AS HARD AS YOU CAN!" and he does his very best. He is having a hard time because he wasn't wearing a fighting cup, and he has a decent fish plus the boat is still sliding forward. I grab a fast picture of him and then he starts to make progress, and a few minutes later he is happy to hold up his very first yellowtail! I was really happy for him, it made me feel good to get another fisherman addicted to the offshore game.

My buddy Max was also on his first multi-day run, and did very well too. He tagged a couple of yellowtail, and had a couple more fights that ended with pulled hooks, and got some taco critters while at Colonet, so he is going to be coming back. There was only one Bluefin taken during the four days, a smallish one that looked about twenty pounds to me. Nobody was on a long fight with a bigger one and lost it, they just were not in the mood to play with us. I kept hoping for a bigger fish, when almost everyone was fly-lining a sardine at each kelp stop I would be using 80# gear and a couple of ounces of glow torpedo to see if there was anything down deeper that might be available, or dropping a tricked-out Flat Fall even in the daytime since it was mostly overcast and dark grey even in the middle of the day.

So although the numbers were not high, the trip was fun and an adventure. I'm very sore, it was basically riding Magic Mountain rollercoasters for four days, and my middle core and legs are very sore from constantly compensating for the pitch and roll. All of us got very wet from trying to fish while the wind drove waves and spray at us. For the first time in decades I got hit by a wave that put water inside my deck boots. But that's blue water fishing, isn't it? We'll get them next time!

2018-05-24 13.27.18.jpg 2018-05-24 18.42.51.jpg 2018-05-24 18.43.27.jpg 2018-05-25 08.18.06.jpg 2018-05-25 10.37.48.jpg 2018-05-25 10.40.27.jpg 2018-05-26 06.48.01.jpg

2. fly liner

fly liner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18.5 wahoo/21' crystaliner /15' prowler
    Tough trips suck. But it makes the good ones, that much better

Tunahead and surfgoose like this.
  3. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    Low counts from the SD fleet recently. Hope the water warms soon.

4. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the report. The season is still young.

5. rbfishn

rbfishn Member

Name:
    Reggie
    Boat:
    Hey Gary. Well I’m glad you were on the trip. We opted to skip this trip and jump on the other 4 day in August. You know as well as I do even if fishing wasn’t great it’s still a great time on the bird.

6. fishforfun2

fishforfun2 Hunter Gatherer

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    Nice report Gary! The Condor handled the 30kt wind ok. I enjoyed the crew and all the passengers,nice big boat ride! Its only going to get better,we metered lots of tuna but didn't want to bite.

7. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Thanks for the report!

Hoping the bite picks up here, soon!

8. solid72

solid72 "Fishhard"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Some day. I'll hustle to fish on yours.
    Thanks for the report. It’s always cool to read reports with folks helping others catch a fish.

Tunahead, surfgoose and rick rouland like this.
  9. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  10. PUDDLER

PUDDLER John

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    235 Triumph "High Spot"
    What a great attitude in tough conditions!!

11. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Long trip in rotten conditions, glad you made the best of things and caught a couple of Tails!

12. Killerskiff

Killerskiff The end is near

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    It's been shitty weather just about every day for three straight months now, unfortunately that's always in cards more so on pre-booked trips. A good bite is great and doughnut will happen, just part of the game however; nothing worse than shitty weather. I watch the weather like a hawk and won't run unless it's favorable conditions. I've learned do the homework regarding swell, wind, solar and moon phases and most often, you can predict a high percentage of the time, wither a trip will be productive or not.

Guess that makes me a pussy to some however; good things come to those who've patients enough to wait. No to mention money that's better spent due of high cost of fishing now days so how many agree with the old cliche that says the worst day of fishing is better than the best day of working? Me thinks not, but it will be interesting to see what the majority thinks, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  13. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Rough conditions for the whole fleet aside, Great Report and pics. MIssed
    being out with the gang, but my repaired Deltoid still healing a bit more.
    I especially missed the abuse from the crew and Condor regulars. LOL
    Frankly didn't see the fleet catch squat the whole last week in that chop
    and all this damn wind. Been crazy. Hope to be out on Condor soon!
    Hopefully the tuna will bite, the weather will come down, and FUN TIMES for all! LOL

surfgoose likes this.
  14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    JD -- I used to do like you, watch the weather and moon phase and water temps and everything, and you are right, you can definitely increase your percentages of success by paying attention to those things. But now I'm at the point when having a certain bunk assignment trumps everything else. If my back goes out, they can be chewing the paint off the hull and I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. So I book my trips months in advance to lock in the bunk, and just deal with whatever weather situation happens at the time. Plus I end up giving away 90% of whatever I catch anyway. So I keep the trips low-pressure and try to be helpful to others, and always come back smiling.

15. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    Your a good man Charlie Brown!

16. soulwinner

soulwinner jeremiah 9:23,24

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    cobra
    the guy fighting the fish looks like hes doing an angus young guitar solo :)

17. Killerskiff

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Rarely do the party boat thing but just like golfing, everybody's out there for a different reason, good for you!

surfgoose and Tunahead like this.
  18. Killerskiff

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    In hockey that would be high sticking, needs a bit more practice I'd think however; he looks like he's having fun trying!

Blackfish, surfgoose and Tunahead like this.
  19. jmlsr

jmlsr "Love this sport"

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    So CA. Fishing
    Great report Gary. Tough fishing and rough weather but excellent food, captain, crew and company. Thanks for the invite. Had a good time.

Jeff.

surfgoose likes this.
  20. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Weather should be getting better soon. Tropical storms off Mexico are forming.

surfgoose and jmlsr like this.