Rough weather boat handling

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by AKULA683, Sep 8, 2010.

1. AKULA683

AKULA683 STS3(SS)

Name:
    Toby
    Boat:
    Sold!
    I saw the post where a 48' Garlington had an incident when crossing the bar where the captain was thrown from the flybridge and later died. I thought that a lot of people (myself included) could learn from this but out of respect to the Captain who lost his life I started a new thread. I have a lot of time out on the water but a lot of it was in a much larger vessel that didn't have to worry about sinking. Do some of you old salts have advice for small boat handling in rough weather? Lessons learned the hard way? I think this kind of advice could be usefull to a lot of people. Thx.

2. BuonaForTuna

BuonaForTuna Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
    I was wondering if he was gunning it going down swell and sank into the wave infront. I always tend to zig zag in high waves to avoid dipping the bow down into the swell to my immediate front. Low on the throttle till I have to punch it to make sure im always either in the middle or the top of the wave. Im very careful when im out there mainly cause i have taken the bow straight down and dipped in the water before and it scared the living shit out of me.

3. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    when it gets that rough i break out the parachute and drag that joker behind the boat to keep the transom down. i believe when used like that its called a "drogue"

4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Especially useful for c'at hulls in the big following stuff I would imagine. Thank goodness I haven't been out where I thought I needed a drogue yet.

5. Mo Betta

Mo Betta Offshore Prop Changer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Rule # 1. Dont go out in bad weather.

Rule #2. Turn around and come back in if the weather is getting beyond your experience.

Every boat is handles differently depending on the weather. What works for a 25' power cat wont always work on a 25' Wellcraft monohull. You need to just get out on the water in your boat and learn how she acts.

I dont like green water breaking over the bow or the stern. So we 1/4 the swell coming uphill and ride the back of a swell coming into MB channel if its really big.

If I do get caught outside in bad weather, its my fault for going. Review the weather reports for the day when you come back in and you will get an idea of how they correspond.

6. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Not sure of the exact situation that happened here - Rob Sanford wrote a good post on what happened to him on his 29ft Guadalupe.

I was decking my brother in laws boat - 39 Hatteras - coming into Boyton Beach, FL inlet and it was an absolute mess - before we entered the inlet I yelled up to him make sure your trimtabs are all the way up and don't get caught in the trough - well you guessed it - he left the tabs all the way down and buried the boat over the top of a wave right into the trough - the boat pitched just like those terrible pictures - we were holding on sideways in the bridge - but the boat righted itself and we rode 1 single wave in through the rest of the inlet. Very scary... stepped off the boat and kissed the dock and called him some dirty words.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    BIG following sea: Tabs up, Trim up, and keep the damn thing powered up......

8. AKULA683

AKULA683 STS3(SS)

Name:
    Toby
    Boat:
    Sold!
    Good info, Keep it coming.

A couple of years ago we were going from Long Beach to Newport and ran into rough following seas. Every time we would crest the swell the bow would dig in and swerve to the right as the bow bit. Since then I am much more carefull in a following sea. I think I should have been running with the tabs up and the drive trimmed up some.

9. marlinmike

marlinmike head rigger in charge

Name:
    MR.P
    Boat:
    6'4'' viking R. I. P.
    i do think what happened to tom was what is called a "double up" on the sand bar and if any of us have ever seen photo's of waves that form "below sea level".
    basically the boat fell into a big hole the water was "sucked up" or off the bar then rapidly replaced by the back of the other wave on top that is why she spun out like she did. this footage sends shivers up my spine this can happen to any of us when we don't pay full attention to what we are doing at all times. lots of places get scary at times off cabo it can get hairy when the wind blows it rips down both sides of baja then comes together just south add a little southern to it and makes tailer taks get reeeel interesting. getting in and out of el cid in mazatlan is another anyway thanks for the show of respect atleast someone gets it.
    big mike

10. Troy

Troy Under the Radar

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Pez Loco
    We've got it lucky in So Cal as we're coming in and out of harbors that are generally protected by jetties. I grew up in the Outter Banks of NC and most of the inlets were natural breaks between barrier islands that were much more difficult to navigate. Takes years of experience to learn the nuanses of a particular inlet.

Open ocean navigating in ugly seas is bad enough but coming in or out of an inlet with big seas and a raging tide is downright scary at times. Nothing wrong with aborting and either going to another inlet or waiting out the tide.

If you are coming in keep on the back of a wave and keep the power up to stay on it until you are safely through. You don't want to fall off the back or go over the top and stuff the bow. It's crazy to ride a big one in and look behind you at another 10-15' wall of water chasing you. As long as you stay on the gas and keep on the back of one you'll be fine.

The accident in FL was tragic indeed. Looked to me like he stuffed the bow and spun the boat which tossed him off. I don't know that inlet so I have no idea if he was in the right position but it sounds like that spot is dangerous at the wrong time.

11. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    My father in-law sent me this email after viewing the thread on the accident.

I was at Jupiter Inlet with Matt a couple of years ago on a very rough day with the waves breaking from left to right across the inlet entrance, so you couldn't get the bow into them very much. Just after we left a new Grady White got rolled and the skipper died.

Found some good info in this thread in regards to boat handling.

Following Seas - Moderated Discussion Areas

12. 805gregg

805gregg Newbie

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    1991 Skipjak 262 "Mischief"
    If you are coming in an entrance, wait outside watch the waves, count the number of waves in each set. Usually the last waves are the biggest, time your entry to follow the biggest wave in, there's a lull right after the biggest waves. At least that's what I've found after 49 years of surfing and 46 years of boating.

13. Luhr'd Away

Luhr'd Away Member

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    40' Luhrs Convertible, Luhr'd Away (SOLD)
    Well said Mike. I have been out in some big stuff and apon arrival at the slip was completely exhausted from driving and countering roll. There is no rule of thumb as every situation is different. Typically speaking, when the seas grow past 10', I slow down and try to pace the swells. You have to be very careful when you have trailing seas as it can capsize you in a heartbeat. Still learning everytime we go out. Once you stop learning you may die

14. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    Well said.

The best advice to any captain, fisherman, etc. is to never think or act as if you know everything. You can learn something every single time you leave the dock..

Be safe out there guys.