Rosco Split Rings

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Ringed live bait hook. Imo, is for higher bait performance

And a direct pull can be achieved

Which both advantages can be lost with a split ring live bait hook, as opposed to a ringed hook. The split ring can loose the free wheeling freedom of a ringed hooks purpose

For lathergic BFT early season cool water. Takes more to fire the fish up. A ringed hook can cause a clacking sound. To get super technical tender paw BFT

Maybe a ringed knot or one that cinches down, after the fish is hooked

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
Buy the ringed hooks from a brand you prefer. The Charlie Browns are getting more and more popular each year
I'll definitely pick up some Charlie Browns
You have a higher chance of failure with split rings on a hook than a brazed factory ring. If you want a more stout ring, buy from Ringed Hooks. A 65lbs split ring will start to open up and deform before a 50lbs factory brazed ring give out.
I've had failure's on the VMC #4 J hooks with brazed factory rings, the first few performed great on YFT up to 35lbs but then I had a few start to deform or completely fail.

From my original post though I'm talking about smaller sizes like #2 and #4 of which I haven't found them to have factory rings on circles.

The 50lb rings I'm talking about are the Owner hyper wire #4 split rings Those Rosco rings would be 24% stronger in theory so I'm thinking I'll just give them a shot since no one has tried using them on here.

Good luck out there everyone.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Those are only rated to 50lb though right? That's why I'm looking for someone with experience of the Rosco's as they're rated to 65lb.

What is your drag set at???? are you going to pull more than 50# of drag...????I just use a uni knot not clinched down.

hucklongfin
hucklongfin
Yeah, that's what I suggested earlier in this thread! I don't get his infatuation with split rings on live bait hooks?
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Tie to a ringed hook. No sharp edges like a split ring. Nice and smooth

Split ring is for changing out hooks and jigs at rapid speed. Not for tying a knot to flyline. Imagine the knot shifts to the split

I have had the eye of a gorrila hook, cut me off where the wire pinches shut. Knot turned upside down from head shakes and boat charging

Just had my surf leash break. On my fin

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I'll definitely pick up some Charlie Browns

I've had failure's on the VMC #4 J hooks with brazed factory rings, the first few performed great on YFT up to 35lbs but then I had a few start to deform or completely fail.

From my original post though I'm talking about smaller sizes like #2 and #4 of which I haven't found them to have factory rings on circles.

The 50lb rings I'm talking about are the Owner hyper wire #4 split rings Those Rosco rings would be 24% stronger in theory so I'm thinking I'll just give them a shot since no one has tried using them on here.

Good luck out there everyone.
VMC uses a solid ring and closes the eye around it. If you got a hook with brazed rings, it was almost certainly an aftermarket add on.
I’ve seen far too many “strong” split rings fail and open on 4-lb freshwater bass to ever trust a little one on a tuna. I’d be willing to bet that if you stress tested the 50# split versus the 65# one, you’d barely see a difference. In my experience, brazing those tiny rings is the hardest of any—I do it with the aid of strong lighting and a large magnifying glass, and it’s probably a lot of effort for minimal gain! The suggestions of the uni loop are probably the best approach.

Reactions: Cubeye