Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Frankly, I am a little surprised (not really) that they don't wait out bad weather more often. Ironically one of the roughest seas I have ever been was on the Rooster. We had a wave take out the venturi screen up on the bridge. Andy commented that he had never seen that before. As much time as he has been on the water and never had seen that tells you how bad it was. For the record, I spent the night curled up on the galley floor. It was a brutal night.
Shuddering...

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The RP shutters also from bow to stern. I like it but would never order it

2 years ago. Waves going over the house onto the beach

Before departing Alijos on the drift the day before. Lost a better grade bait fish skinny in heavy wind. Light tackle and after the skinfish burned line off. Another anglers bird got tangled in my tight line above the water, scoped out. Bird broke the fish off from wind resistance and drift force. To be honest. A mistake was made, main line should had been 40# and not 30#. But still

Last edited:

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
15 days trip. Everyone is Covid tested why let them out around town to bring something back to the boat. Could have been a group decision to keep isolated on the water also who knows

Reactions: DC61

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
15 days trip. Everyone is Covid tested why let them out around town to bring something back to the boat. Could have been a group decision to keep isolated on the water also who knows
They want the people on the boat , baited up and ready to go for a few reasons. One especially is the NWS updates the Marine weather appx every 4-6 hours, and a lot of the times it could dramatically change for the better (sometimes worse) from what it said in their previous marine statement. Once the heard the updated forecast that was within tolerable weather, there off to the races and not running around or calling people that the delayed departure was updated.

Reactions: migelito

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Just because you’re tested doesn’t mean anything, you could be negative today and be positive tomorrow.

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Customs and homeland security prevent them from returning to their berth before the trip ends. It’s been that way for years now. Once the boat leaves the dock it’s gone till the trip ends.
It has nothing to do with any other reasons. Of course they would rather re dock at the landing but they CANT!

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
Just because you’re tested doesn’t mean anything, you could be negative today and be positive tomorrow.
I agree to a point. A negative test only means you’re not actively infectious. Doesn’t mean you won’t be in a few days. But a positive test means you are most likely infectious and can possibly get other sick. Not letting those individuals board will greatly reduce the risk of getting other sick.
Something to be aware of is if you are going long and have recovered from Covid 19. within a few months of departure. You may still test positive from dead viral RNA still in your system.

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
Customs and homeland security prevent them from returning to their berth before the trip ends. It’s been that way for years now. Once the boat leaves the dock it’s gone till the trip ends.
It has nothing to do with any other reasons. Of course they would rather re dock at the landing but they CANT!
Best answer yet. Is this the same reason we sit outside the harbor or tied to the receiver if we get in a little early.

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
Playing devil's advocate.....

Based on the above....why leave the dock then? Weather isn't good at the dock then turns to shit at the bait receiver? If you can't return until after the trip....why not stay moored at the dock until the weather clears? Not that it matters, just an interesting discussion.

You're right about Covid RNA as well. I had it in December and am on next week's X trip. Per CDC guidance, I'm good to go....but I may test positive with non-replicatable cells next week. Got a test yesterday and I'm negative....but it would be an interesting situation....popping positive even though no live cells are in my system.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Playing devil's advocate.....

Based on the above....why leave the dock then? Weather isn't good at the dock then turns to shit at the bait receiver? If you can't return until after the trip....why not stay moored at the dock until the weather clears? Not that it matters, just an interesting discussion.
A couple of reasons I can see:
1) you can load your bait, get it acclimated to the tanks, and going back to the dock is not a great idea with a load of fresh bait, as the water doesn't move as much back at the dock. Not a great situation for a load of freshly transferred sardines.
2) Back at the dock, people can leave, go out and risk Covid exposure or go get drunk. Not a great scenario either.

Kudos to the Rooster for doing the right thing.

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
I am not sure how true this is. I seem to remember the Indy or Intrepid on a 14 or so day last year. They loaded up on BFT early, then came back to the dock to unload them to 5 star. Back out to finish their trip down south

Canvas Man

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
25' Hydro Sport
Can I ask why they would tie to the bait barge, and not simply stay at the dock? Seems like it would be a bit more comfortable in the wind.

Are they holding the passengers' hostage by tieing up to the bait dock? :D
They may tie up there so it starts there daily fish count since they have left the landing with 15 days If they stayed tied up at landing they can only get 14 days of limits. And I'm sure there are a few other technical reasons permits taxes amount of bait they can take etc...

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Some times the small boats come in to load up on bait if the fish are in striking distance from SD. Now the fleet are not interested in tonnage like the old days. This game is entertainment and experience. Big fish are the draw.

3 day max in Mexico, maybe US limits are separate?

Last edited:
Reactions: $norkle and RichG

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
I am not sure how true this is. I seem to remember the Indy or Intrepid on a 14 or so day last year. They loaded up on BFT early, then came back to the dock to unload them to 5 star. Back out to finish their trip down south
If they go into Mexico they’re out till scheduled return. Short trips in the us waters are another story

Reactions: Bill W

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
I agree to a point. A negative test only means you’re not actively infectious. Doesn’t mean you won’t be in a few days. But a positive test means you are most likely infectious and can possibly get other sick. Not letting those individuals board will greatly reduce the risk of getting other sick.
Something to be aware of is if you are going long and have recovered from Covid 19. within a few months of departure. You may still test positive from dead viral RNA still in your system.

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
That my concern, but I had in November and my trips the end of July

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
I had it over Xmas....tested neg on Tuesday... Got to SD this morning... Fingers crossed for Tuesday mornings test.