Rooster

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bluefin grin, Dec 19, 2015.

1. bluefin grin

bluefin grin Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Stephens
    Boat:
    Fortune
    They caught a 308 on 80lb. Wonder how long that took.

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Nice... Depends on who is pulling on it.

bouttime likes this.
  3. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    About 27 years ago witnessed June Pierce land a 313 (as weighed on the boat) on straight 80# mono - also on RR3 - took her about 45 min. to an hour I'd say - on anchor, San Benedicto. Was going to be a woman's world record until someone complained about too much crew assistance.

http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/detail_sportfishing.php?id=32877

Bigfishhateme and lgd like this.
  4. Socal49erfan

Socal49erfan Newbie

Name:
    Robert A Neloms
    Boat:
    Independence
    Only can be a record without crew help. But that being said still a hell of a job

5. pgangler

pgangler 12Wt

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Was Cabo35, now RR3
    I've been riding the Rooster for 20 years, but never more than 5 days. Heading out on Jan 4, on my first ever 15-day. Can't sleep, can't work, daily visits to Tackle Direct... A ridiculous state of mind for a guy in his 50's.

rdrblck66, trunk777, lgd and 11 others like this.
  6. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    sounds like little kids disease to me. welcome back to never never land and donot let yourself grow up again

Cybertuna likes this.
  7. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    I was on the boat when she got it. Her husband hooked it---he was hand feeding line with a salami for bait---she was holding the rod. She crapped out fairly quickly, but to her credit never relinquished the rod that I saw, but her husband (The Chief) was pulling the line so that she could reel---kinda like wicked tuna, except two people rather than one. A great achievement, but way too much help.

8. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Of course you guys know that with a cooperative fish anything can happen...
    Norm Kagawa told me a story about a night bite where guys were gaffin a cow and saw a giant fish right up against the boat... Thinking they were free gaffing a monster when they pulled it on deck it had a line in its mouth that led to the bow where a guy was pulling out a backlash... They said hey man your fish is back here and the guy told em he never knew he was hooked up....
    Super cow without pullin at all...
    At least that was the story..

Bigfishhateme, pele, lgd and 2 others like this.
  9. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    I caught a 314 lb. about 25 years ago on 80 lb. and a one speed. It took 2 hours.

10. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Funny....I'm suffering from the affliction. It's not getting any better with age.

RichG likes this.
  11. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    As you can imagine, it varies from fish to fish. I witnessed someone landing a 315 lbs. on 80 lbs. in about 2.5 hours. The angler only pulled on it for about 30 minutes max (the crew did the rest). Another story I heard was 380 lbs. free-gaffed with a hook in it's mouth... angler had no idea until it was on deck, it was a 0 minute fight on 80 lb.!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    RichG likes this.
  12. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    Was there too Mr. $norkle & I'm aware she got help.
    Don't recall seeing the 'line pulling' action, but I certainly did not observe the entire bout, and am not at all surprised & I have seen plenty of that action since.
    "Chief" (John as I recall his name??) seemed to me, & my two buds also along, to have dedicated most of his time on setting up everything for her (his wife June) and constantly checking to make sure all was 'right' well ahead of time and for whatever conditions/spices was being targeted, but she sure was a gamer always at the rail. I remember thinking 'now there's a team of experts'.
    Skipper Bobby sure was delighted at the catch as was everyone else. I think I recall talk that it was the boats (then only about 4 years old) 1st over 300???
    Biggest YFT I've ever seen caught.
    I was highly impressed - record or no, help or no.
    That was my first time seeing a Penn Int'l 50 in action (which I think she was using).
    I & my friends shared Penn 9/0's - that being our first longer trip & we had some things to learn.
    I have fond memories of the trip so it must have been a pleasure fishing with you.
    :cheers:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    bigreddog and Bigfishhateme like this.
  13. Josa1

Josa1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Red Rooster III
    Switched from the Q105 to the RRIII in the 80s and have been riding the Rooster for a long time since. I remember the captain being Bobby Burns, 2nd was Danny Palm Jr. when I first went with them.

My biggest tuna, a 283 pound beauty, was caught just off the "slide" area at San Benedicto Island. I was riding with Bobby in the wheel house as we pulled into the island after traveling from Socorro Island where we had gone to make tube mackerel for bait. Anyway, I commented to Bobby that there was a lot of porpoise jumping along the slide. He put the glasses on them and said that they were large tuna, not porpoises that were jumping. He went in and anchored and about an hour later the tuna came through again.

There were many hook ups. Every tube mackerel that hit the water was immediately inhaled by a trophy tuna. I was using a Shimano single speed TTS50W filled with 80 pound line and a Sabre' Stroker that was 5 and 1/2 feet long . I tossed a tube into the melee and was immediately bit.

The fish took off and as I put my weight into the rod, the stripper guide collapsed with a loud "pop" and the line broke, I believe severed by the mangled guide. Ran back to the rod rack and got another similar outfit, this time with 60 pound test, and was immediately bit again.

I had fought this fish for over two hours when, more drama, with the fish at shallow color, the Sabre' rod I was using broke. Jorge' Nicofore, the RRIII chef, ran and grabbed another outfit out of the rod rack, cut the line on my reel and spliced the line onto this other outfit that had been mostly spooled by a fish. After about 2 and 1/2 hours, totally exhausted, I finally landed the fish. Gosh, what great fun!

The fish, pictured below, took 2nd jackpot. Winner of the jackpot with a 292 pound YFT caught at the same time, out of the same school,was Jerry Massey, a long time long range veteran.

This picture is me on the left, Jimmy Burwell, a great deck hand, in the center and Andy Cates the current long-time skipper of the RRIII on the right. The picture was used on the next years Red Rooster Brochure.

DSCN1343.JPG

Just about the best time I've ever had fishing!

josa1

Bigfishhateme, Uglybones, lgd and 8 others like this.
  14. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Rooster being built

Attached Files:

fishfish, Otis2527 and Tim Turis like this.
  15. TakeItEasy

TakeItEasy Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great awesome story:hali_olutta::smash::appl:

16. SlideRight

SlideRight Just Fishin'

Name:
    Lew
    Boat:
    ss minnow
    June Pierce's RR3, 313# YF in '89 (310# at the dock) - wish I had gotten her in the pic.....

Attached Files:

Bigfishhateme and Uglybones like this.
  17. fishnfool73

fishnfool73 Newbie

Name:
    chris adams
    Boat:
    none
    Fish weighed in at 293 lbs at the dock. Fight took around 2 hours. Line was shredded. He had Nick helping him out so he was in good hands. To quote the angler without Nick I wouldn't have landed that fish. Looking at the top shot on the reel was scary and a testament of the luck and skill of Nick to get that fish in. Epic catch regardless of the 7 lbs it came up short at the dock.

18. fishnfool73

fishnfool73 Newbie

Name:
    chris adams
    Boat:
    none
    multi post

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  19. fishnfool73

fishnfool73 Newbie

Name:
    chris adams
    Boat:
    none
    multi post

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  20. Otis2527

Otis2527 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451160395.585925.jpg

1999 at Clarion Island. Polaris Supreme, 220 lbs, 2 hour battle on the wrong tackle:

Sabre 6465H, TLD 30 2spd, green Power Pro spectra, with about 100 yards if blue 60lb Izorline tied directly to 5/0 Owner circle hook.

I was screwing around before the sun went down trying to catch Wahoo on straight mono. They were swimming all around the boat and I had already caught a few. Other guys were starting to come out on deck to fish the sundown bite.

Tommy Rothery had just told me that he had seen a few big tuna under the boat. I was joking with him about that as I lobbed out a dead sardine near some Wahoo. The dead sardine sank out and started swimming! For the next 2 hours I pulled as hard as I could with that old Sabre as Rothery joked with me abiut hooking a big tuna on light gear. It was an epic battle.

The was hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth. The last 20-30 feet of the 60lb Izor was stretched to about half its original diameter. Thank God that stuff is like cable.

gved823 likes this.