Ronin is almost finished...

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
I haven’t been to Newport in 2 weeks, to see the boat. I leave tomorrow for 3 days. To finish some work I started. Foreman said they plan to float the boat on Friday. He wants it to stay in a 3 day quarantine. To make sure no problems. I cleaned to stainless steel and sanded the rails. Got a new radar. I did find the hull number for the boat. I wish Ditmar Donaldson kept records. Can’t wait to have Ronin back in San Diego...

FBB61346-0D3E-4155-A17B-2A372DF0FA8D.jpeg

B7C6F19D-121D-4D83-BCCA-F29D319347FC.jpeg

60E2AA5E-5195-4970-B07B-AE85602D78A5.jpeg

0F14A6A8-1607-4AEE-B7FD-4B45EDF4FB6E.jpeg

6131F7A6-3527-4D47-A3FF-1F6212C71FA9.jpeg

DC7FE1C9-5DEC-40FF-9298-C849143EDD68.jpeg

FCDD07DC-4E87-488F-8D2B-43DCAC4D53CC.jpeg

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
Such a cool boat. Where will it be slipped? Have you thought about adding side scanning sonar while it’s in the yard? Saw a killer deal on a used CH 250 a few months back.

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Oh man, you made my day! SO glad to know she'll be back down in SD and out on the water again. My first three charity charters were on her 5+ years ago. I was sad that day when my buddy, Ping got rid of her. (I charter the Alicia now.) That Ronin boat is magic and has made many happy angling memories and I know she will continue that trend! Always wondered where she ended up. Great to see her getting remodeled. One of the best 6 pack, single screw platforms out there! Can't wait to see the new and improved version of her! All the best to you, skipper! 😁

2015-09-07 16.04.43.jpg

2015-09-07 16.05.00-1.jpg

2015-09-07 16.05.27.jpg

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
Such a cool boat. Where will it be slipped? Have you thought about adding side scanning sonar while it’s in the yard? Saw a killer deal on a used CH 250 a few months back.
I have a nice slip at Marina Cortez. On Harbor Island. No way for me to side scan now. And I may not get one. I can’t wait to go tuna fishing with friends but wouldn’t take May charters that far offshore.

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
Oh man, you made my day! SO glad to know she'll be back down in SD and out on the water again. My first three charity charters were on her 5+ years ago. I was sad that day when my buddy, Ping got rid of her. (I charter the Alicia now.) That Ronin boat is magic and has made many happy angling memories and I know she will continue that trend! Always wondered where she ended up. Great to see her getting remodeled. One of the best 6 pack, single screw platforms out there! Can't wait to see the new and improved version of her! All the best to you, skipper! 😁

View attachment 1212226

View attachment 1212227

View attachment 1212230
I brought it for that platform. Thanks for the pictures...

Reactions: kuyamonster

mike mitchell

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
For those of us who looked at the boat while it was for sale down here in San Diego what's a ballpark number of what you spent to repair the hull? Over under $ 10,000 ?

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
For those of us who looked at the boat while it was for sale down here in San Diego what's a ballpark number of what you spent to repair the hull? Over under $ 10,000 ?
I took that tour. The day after it was posted, an almost bought it on the spot but had to decline as I was headed off to the bank. And the car decided it needed at least half of all the money I had to spend on the boat instead.🤦‍♂️

BUTT IM SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS BEAUTY COME BACK TO LIFE!

I also took a good handful of charters on this boat YEARS ago and is actually how I got started on working as a deckhand in the fleet. I have loved it ever since. Broke my heart alittle when it moved up north. This is a dream boat. For many! I can just see a swordfish laying across it's stern!

You've done a wonderful thing bringing this boat back! Your awesome! Can't wait to see it back home in SD! She's looking great!

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
I took that tour. The day after it was posted, an almost bought it on the spot but had to decline as I was headed off to the bank. And the car decided it needed at least half of all the money I had to spend on the boat instead.🤦‍♂️

BUTT IM SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS BEAUTY COME BACK TO LIFE!

I also took a good handful of charters on this boat YEARS ago and is actually how I got started on working as a deckhand in the fleet. I have loved it ever since. Broke my heart alittle when it moved up north. This is a dream boat. For many! I can just see a swordfish laying across it's stern!

You've done a wonderful thing bringing this boat back! Your awesome! Can't wait to see it back home in SD! She's looking great!

Mtnfshr

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
From the looks of the hull, I would say it was almost finished. As in finished off. For good! I'm happy to see someone cared enough to do the right thing and bring her back to life again. The time and money put into a labor of love shows.
I would be proud of myself if I were you.
I would be equally proud to fish on her sometime.

Thank you for a wonderful write-up and an inspiring story!

Reactions: mike mitchell

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
From the looks of the hull, I would say it was almost finished. As in finished off. For good! I'm happy to see someone cared enough to do the right thing and bring her back to life again. The time and money put into a labor of love shows.
I would be proud of myself if I were you.
I would be equally proud to fish on her sometime.

Thank you for a wonderful write-up and an inspiring story!
Thank you

Reactions: Mtnfshr

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
My god such a rad old boat! Love what you are doing with it. Is it a commercial boat? Are you planning on running charters?

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
very very cool old boat.... looks like she has a new life... for a long time...

tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
I saw Ronin cruising through the bay Thursday afternoon. Didn’t seem to be lacking power. Lookin real nice. Hard to believe she was built in ‘45. Congrats even though I’m sure you’ve got plenty left to do.

Cantcatchfish

Oct 6, 2017
Rancho Penasquitos
Name
Kevin Cheeseman
Boat
22’ Seaway
I saw Ronin cruising through the bay Thursday afternoon. Didn’t seem to be lacking power. Lookin real nice. Hard to believe she was built in ‘45. Congrats even though I’m sure you’ve got plenty left to do.
My engine ispretty solid thank god. Didn’t loose any oil from San Diego to Newport and back. I won’t get much much more than 8 kts. Today was my day to start the deck paint. But with the rain has to was til next week. Cabin may take a while but the outside will be nice.

Reactions: Mtnfshr and One_Leg