Rollers guides or not?

socalrobt

Mar 2, 2010
Anaheim Ca
Name
Robbie
Boat
Kayak
I am in the market for 2 rods that I will be matching up with a 30 and a 50 size reel for an upcoming trip. I was wondering if I should purchase the rods with roller guides or go with regular
guides?

Thank you for the help in advance.

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
Many very good LR'ers are opting for no rollers on their heavier spectra rigs. Can attest to it being a real PITA if you lose some parts off the rod in the midst of a trip to the banks - not uncommom. Other plus - no roller maint. If I had to do it again - no rollers as very little friction w/braid running thru good std. guides. You are bound to get some better feedback - JMO. Lot's o'Luck!

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Next ones, no rollers. You don't see many used cow rods for sale with ring guides. Must be a reason...

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Rollers require yearly maintenance, and it needs to be done right so you don't get a gap between the roller and the frame. That's a rare event.
On the other hand ring guides have rings that can have issues also. That's a rare event too.
I've seen both happen.
My new 100# finesse rod has rings, all my heavy rods have rollers, does it really matter a whole lot? Under a load (!!) rollers have less friction.
Try both, decide for yourself.

tpeach

Feb 4, 2007
Stanley, NC
Name
Thad Peach
Boat
RR III
I have replaced all my roller guide rods on my cow sticks they all now have ringed American Tackle Titian guides. Tough guides and low maintenance just what I need.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Rollers require yearly maintenance, and it needs to be done right so you don't get a gap between the roller and the frame. That's a rare event.
On the other hand ring guides have rings that can have issues also. That's a rare event too.
I've seen both happen.
My new 100# finesse rod has rings, all my heavy rods have rollers, does it really matter a whole lot? Under a load (!!) rollers have less friction.
Try both, decide for yourself.
X2!

However, I do not have a 100 lbs "finesse" rig. Maybe someday...probably not.

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
X2!

Oh Jeff, you must add one! Perfect for those sub-200's that the guys are feasting on right now. 100# Seaguar Premier and a little lighter hook, from say 9am-2pm-ish. Very effective and big fun.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Oh Jeff, you must add one! Perfect for those sub-200's that the guys are feasting on right now. 100# Seaguar Premier and a little lighter hook, from say 9am-2pm-ish. Very effective and big fun.
X2!

That's OK Jeff,
I will have three 100 lb "finesse" rigs so you can use one of mine.

No Cal Lou

JSR

Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
n/a
have roller tips on two 2x4's
new rollers have no gap issues

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
I have never had a cow rod built without full rollers. Sounds like I'm in the minority these days. I don't like being in a long fight without the peace of mind that having low friction gives.

I do tear down the guides each season and lube them.

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
I have never had a cow rod built without full rollers. Sounds like I'm in the minority these days. I don't like being in a long fight without the peace of mind that having low friction gives.

I do tear down the guides each season and lube them.
Starting that Monday morning, ugh. 35 total rollers . . . oh well, it means my trip is close!

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
I like rollers but with spectra being used mostly with short top shots, I prefer turbo guides on (6) foot rods...Paul

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I am in the market for 2 rods that I will be matching up with a 30 and a 50 size reel for an upcoming trip. I was wondering if I should purchase the rods with roller guides or go with regular
guides?

Thank you for the help in advance.
I use the big foot guides for my kite rod, a 6364XXXXH. Any reel I cast, I prefer lightweight ring guides. If the bait is big or chunk, rollers work fine for me. I have a few ringed guide rods that I stuck a roller top on that works fine.

P.S. the PacBay Titanium Turbos can be purchased at Acidrod.com

fdengine13

Jun 5, 2004
Dana Point
Name
Paul
Boat
30' Skipjack
How do you guys maintain your rollers. Obviously you remove them, but what/how do you lubricate them? Do you use grease or lube? What kind?

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
Here ya go Paul, from the Aftco catalog.

CLEANING AND LUBRICATING
AFTCO recommends that every year or two your roller guides
and tops should be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated.
After removing the pins and screws (using a #2 standard
screwdriver on each side of the guide or top), all parts,
including the inside of the frame, should be wiped clean with
paper towels using a mild solvent or thinner. Then, lubricate
the outside of the bearing (black) with a small amount of
waterproof grease (not oil) before pushing it back into the
roller. Finally, center the pins and screws and thoroughly
tighten with the screwdriver. Any roller that only rolls when
screws are loose should be checked for damage or epoxy
rod finish build-up inside the guide frame.

Caution: Do not attempt to lubricate AFTCO roller guides with spray lubricants, as these chemical solvents will actually gum up the rollers
and ultimately hinder their performance. Instead, we recommend
a waterproof grease — such as Penn’s®Blue International Lube — to be applied sparingly to the outsides of the bearings.