Roller guides or Titanium boat guides

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by CV-Wayne, Mar 27, 2015.

1. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Looking for some help on a decision.

I'm having Taka build a rod for heavy bait (Skippy) and kite fishing using a Calstar GFGR775XXXH blank; I'll fish it on the rail. I'm torn on the decision between roller guides or boat guides. I'm going to pair this rod with a Mak 50 Sea. I'm a big guy so am not worried about a little more side torque that the rollers might incur.

I'm mentally wrestling with (a) the maintenance of rollers, (b) any casting issues if I wanted to fish salamis with this rod. Most of my long range experience with big fish was using a Seeker 2x4 with boat guides; I liked that experience.

I would appreciate any input I can get.
    Thanks
    Wayne

2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    You could do both. I've got a Calstar 7460 with a roller stripper, then ring guides, then a roller tip. Works pretty well. I use it with 150lb leader as my kite and big bait stick.

3. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    In a perfect world, rollers. On a longrange boat, rings. If you are very...very on top of maintaining your gear while you are on the trip, rollers should be fine, but I don't want to hook up to a big pissed off tuna on a rod where some of the rollers are seized up due to salt.

rickberg and screamingreel like this.
  4. chef tom

chef tom Member

Name:
    tom waggoner
    Boat:
    none
    Taka would recommend rollers !! He has built 12 rods for me.
    Big bait rollers light bait ring . But you are going to get a lot of opinions . Good luck

5. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    if you get rollers, open them up and grease with Cals or penn blue grease. I like cals best. keeps our rollers spinning all year even after heavy beach use and of course on the boats. make sure you get in where the bushing is and along the side between the roller and frame.

6. BLLFSHR

BLLFSHR Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    Aftco wind on rollers with ball bearings. Nice clearance between the rollers and the frames to cast baits, and the rollers r silk. I fish them on 2 Phenix 700 4X rods with Baker 80s and 200.

7. cow man

cow man Tuna addict

Name:
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'd go with ring/ boat guides, no need to go with heavy wind on's anymore with all the new connections now days. I've change all my rods over to ring/sic never any problem. Just my Opinion

Soda Pop likes this.
  8. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Have used both types of guides and either are effective. I prefer All American rollers for 80 lbs. or greater for big fish. Smoother action, less line friction and more durable than ringed guides. if you really like titanium, Winthrop guides are available in Ti and very expensive!

Use what you like...

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    sierraazuel likes this.
  9. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Thanks for all the replies. Since this is my first custom rod I think I'll go with the rollers for the durability factor. I've got some Cal's that I can use to lube the rollers before and after my trips. I guess a good freshwater misting of the rollers each night would be a good call.
    Thanks again for the help.

10. lowprofile

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    attach a spray bottle head to a 2 liter coke bottle and fill it with distilled water. distilled water will pick up any salts and minerals and wash it away.

with the grease on the rollers, you really don't have to worry about rinsing them. as long as the finish isn't compromised they'll stay fresh for 20 days at sea with no issues. water doesn't penetrate grease, but it will wash away oil and that's where a lot of people have problems, for some reason people think its a good idea to oil them. lol.

tight lines and good luck!

11. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Interesting to me that so many people still prefer rollers. I have the Fuji SiC guides on pretty much all my rods now, and there is just no issue. Three and four years in, with heavy use and inconsistent maintainance, and they are perfect.

I suspect that well-maintained rollers offer a bit less resistance to the line, but I have found that on my one rod with roller guides (my trolling rod), it only takes a day or so for some of the rollers to get salted up and stiff, even greased.

For me, rings have been better all around.

reelconcerned and sierraazuel like this.
  12. sk8ingtuna

sk8ingtuna Member

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    not yet
    Ringed guides for me as well. I see no advantage to rollers, and the upkeep is a pain.

13. lowprofile

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    I like rings too. a roller tip is handy for getting splices onto the rod (mostly knot splices) but if he's going for all rollers, might as well get some good info ahead of time.

even though rollers seem to have less friction ring guides can achieve a layout with far less high stress points due to the amount of ringed guides you can put on a rod vs roller guides. for example, most 7ft rods can get a stripper, 4 running rollers and a tip before the rod is too crowded and you just can't fit anymore roller guides but with rings you can get a stripper guide, 7 running guides and a tip (I prefer a roller) for a much smoother line flow.

were not stuck in the 70's with all stainless guides and pitting issues that tear up line and the metal heats up and deforms. even a rod full of Fuji Hardloys is an advancement over those days.

14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    My experience has been that the purpose of rollers in the first place was to reduce the wear and tear on mono line. During the past decade and the switch-over to braid with short top-shots of fluoro I think that the whole reason for rollers has gone away. I still have a couple of roller rods and fish them, but my newer rods have the newer ring materials and it's one less thing to worry about.

15. lowprofile

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    braid has less abrasion resistance than mono. also, braid will cut into and damage stainless guides and some "newer ring materials" with ease. (more so with 8 strand braids than 12 and 16). if a roller hangs up and your running braid on a big fish, that roller will likely be damaged.

16. tpeach

tpeach Member

Name:
    Thad Peach
    Boat:
    RR III
    When you torque your rod and not paying attention to keeping the rollers upright then in that one moment that your line jumps a roller and gets between the frame and roller you may wished you had rings. On my 305 in my avatar did just that and I saw it happen at the tip top and saw a frayed line as it came onto the reel. Needless to say I didn't let it back off the reel and put it on deck! After that trip the only rod I take with rollers is a dedicated troller that rarely sees the spectra backing hit the rollers.

My opinion is rollers were designed and intended for using mono and the rollers were modified to keep the spectra on them but it still happens and with the thin diameter of spectra really has very little surface area to get them spinning with a dried dose of saltwater on them.
    Titanium guides all the way.

Fishybuzz, dh515 and The Right Kind like this.
  17. Atuna

Atuna Salt

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Whatever floats
    The Winthrops are aluminum frames with titanium rollers. Not cheap, like you said.
    All American does make all titanium roller guides. 1.5 oz. for the set!
    http://www.aarollerguides.com/titanium_specs.asp
    Remember the old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" ...yeah! it's like that.

18. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I switched to ring guides about 7 years ago when I had the spectra hang up on the roller tip twice on a 254# fish….only got the fish because Romo was right on it and cleared it both times….got all new rods with ring guides as soon as I got home…..

Rodless_Jim and egarratt like this.
  19. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Not long range related but trolling for Tuna, Marlin etc.... When the rod in the rod holder and the line is going up to the outrigger release clip, on roller guide rods most of the time the line is rubbing on the frame and not on the roller guide. I have replaced several roller tops in the shop that the mono actually wore a grove in the roller top frame after heavy use.

If you have a fish never sound and stay on top - and you are using roller guides while rail fishing - any lateral movement of the blank the line comes off the roller and up the frame. Never good. And yes the AFTCO guides spacing between the frame and the roller add little extra deflection from the drag on the line - spectra goes right in between.

Winthrop guides for sure if Rollers when not using mono.

In heavy use - really high drags - roller guides for sure. Straight up and down on a GBFT with 60lbs not sure how a ring guide would hold up.

But for long range fishing with 40lbs being the high end for most users - FUJI HBSG. End of story.

20. lowprofile

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    just built a 130lb rod using HB's. I can tell you from experience that they can handle over 40lbs of drag. and they look a lot cleaner than turbos and rollers.

[​IMG]

the guides can handle the drag, but can your rod? :D