sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I see more then a few guys in the BST looking for certain types of rods, 40-100# setups, and a lot say they want rods WITHOUT roller guides, I am assuming they are tuna and yellowtail rods...so why the "general" dislike for roller guides on rods?

I know that is a generalization of guys looking, but is there a certain purpose where roller guides are not necessary, or even hinder a fishing situation, where standard guides would be better? Still new to customs and wanted to gain a little more knowledge as to why guys use roller guides, or more to the point, why guys do not.

Thanks for the input and opinions. -Scott

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
While there are several reasons, I think the biggest reason is spectra line. Spectra is not subject to the wear that mono is when repeatedly wound back and forth over the guide. Add to that the extra maintenance required to keep the rollers working and the quality of todays ring guides, they just aren't needed as much today.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
While there are several reasons, I think the biggest reason is spectra line. Spectra is not subject to the wear that mono is when repeatedly wound back and forth over the guide. Add to that the extra maintenance required to keep the rollers working and the quality of todays ring guides, they just aren't needed as much today.

Pretty much this. Rollers can get enough salt on them on a LR trip so that they seize up. With the quality of ring guides available today, there really is no reason for rollers for the type of fishing done on a LR boat

skenney

Avionics
Mar 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Steve
Boat
Classified
I hear that some fisherman will elect for a single roller guide on the tip and maybe the stripper guide for trolling the heavier line with wind-on leaders. They say that it helps to preserve that heavier and more expensive line from what I gather.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Havng never used a roller guide, I assumed rod twist would be one of the issues with roller guides, from torque of line wanting to get to the lowest point when hooked into a large grade fish.

I now understand where and why people stand, in regards to roller guides; I recently bought a clean custom Calstar 765M w/ aftco roller guides for $100, even with doubts about a roller guide setup, I could not pass up the deal.

Thanks again guys!

jimmysuh

Almost A Member
Apr 11, 2013
North Hollywood, CA USA
Name
Jim Suh
Boat
Jimbo
IMHO, rods with regular guides are easy to maneuver and cast, but vulnerable to line and knot damage due to friction.
Where as the rods with roller guide are not easy to cast and maneuver due to bulky and heavy, but will do less damage to line and knot since
the roller moves with line (lasting longer). Maintenance wise, roller guides requires through clean up and lubrication (some rollers do), but regular guides simply
requires a rinse with freshwater or salt-x stray... I am not a big fan of roller guides and I am still using 50 to 60lb set up with regular guides without a problem.

Last edited:

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
I have had lots of work in the last couple of months replacing roller guides with ringed guides for long range fishermen. Reasons as stated previously, one fisherman told me of losing big fish (4 in his last 3 trips) on his roller rods.
If the trend reverses itself, I will have enough roller guides and tips saved to do about 15 rods!