fyermn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
Who else is going on the Red Rooster October 18-26. This will be my first time on the Rooster. I have been on a lot of the Long Range boats, but never on the Rooster. Is their anything I might need to know before the trip? I assume that boarding is done by reservation number. Is their enough area for tackle storage on the main deck? Any information would be helpful. It is only eight weeks away. Yes, I am getting anxious.

Tymeflyme

Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
The main deck rocket launcher storage has 10 spots for boxes and shelving below them for jig bags. Boat has additional room for boxes up on top and against rear of boat. Good time of year for wahoo so be ready and have fun. I'm leaving on trip behind you.

matrixx611

Is it Friday yet??
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Who else is going on the Red Rooster October 18-26. This will be my first time on the Rooster. I have been on a lot of the Long Range boats, but never on the Rooster. Is their anything I might need to know before the trip? I assume that boarding is done by reservation number. Is their enough area for tackle storage on the main deck? Any information would be helpful. It is only eight weeks away. Yes, I am getting anxious.
Hi Dan,

Am on this trip. There is a tackle rack by the bait tank and 2 on each side by the door galley. Boarding # is done by reservation. Hope to kill a lot of wahoos!!. Hope this helps

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Look up top. They have a sweet rocket launcher that holds tons of rods. When you reach your destination bring a few downstairs and put them in your number on the side of the boat. Your number is your place for your rods. I fish the boat and your going to have a blast brother. Also keeping your rods upstairs on travel days keeps the salt at a minimum. Great dates for the skinny’s. If you have any more questions just pm me.

Dale Fero

Sep 19, 2015
Rsm, ca
Name
Dale Fero
Boat
Excel, RR3
I am on the trip in front of yours! Great Boat,Great Crew! Start your diet now Boomer will put 10 lbs on you quickly.Lets get some Hoos!

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
Im on the trip with you. Great boat you wont have any problems with your gear. Plenty of storage for tackle boxes. I use the top rack by the door. Im 6'4" so its easier for me to use. I let the height challenged use the lower racks. Reel bags get stored in your room or up top. Lots of rod storage

Great boat great crew. Just watch out for that matrixx611 guy hes a shady character and you never know what you might do.

See you at the dock

Jerry

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
A great boat! I’d go to war with Andy or Ethan any time. Super nice guys, very fishy. Great crew, and if you’re fortunate enough to have Mike in the galley, you’re golden. If you can’t find a spot for your tackle box/bag, ask one of the crew, once you clear the bait receivers. As long as everyone uses the available space wisely, there will be plenty of room.

It’s a unique vessel, especially the salon. Up towards the bow is a nice lounge. Galley runs bow to stairs that go below to the staterooms. It’s on the starboard side and again, unique to the Rooster, is the tackle area just aft of the stairs. Good place to get to interact with crew members, get to know the guys.

You’re in for a really neat experience, enjoy the trip.

matrixx611

Is it Friday yet??
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Im on the trip with you. Great boat you wont have any problems with your gear. Plenty of storage for tackle boxes. I use the top rack by the door. Im 6'4" so its easier for me to use. I let the height challenged use the lower racks. Reel bags get stored in your room or up top. Lots of rod storage

Great boat great crew. Just watch out for that matrixx611 guy hes a shady character and you never know what you might do.

See you at the dock

Jerry
I'll just put my reel bag on the top rack, (like Paul) so you can't store your tackle bag..LOL

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
Paul put it on the middle rack prime location. I repacked my tackle bag and everything fit in my small bag Wont be breaking my back this year.

Jerry

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
The Rooster is a great fishing boat! Relatively fast too. I was on it one day when we did 13.8 knots... It shudders a bit coming up-swell in strong seas. Good times on the red bird!

- Jeff Burroughs
She really shudders when farming an anchor.
We left two anchors one trip down at the lower banks, many years ago.
BONG!!!
Andy was not happy.

Reactions: Bill W

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Overflow parking is up on the sun deck.
I put my brandy new LR box up there one ten day.
Didn't notice I'd forgot to unload it until I got home after the trip.
Called the landing. The boat had already turned around for the next trip, so my box did back to back ten days.
It was nicely seasoned (and unmolested) when I picked it up after its second ten'r.

Reactions: Abusaade
Sep 13, 2020
NJ
Name
Darren Dorris
Boat
Salty Lady
Myself and my Bro in law will be on this trip. It will be our first long range trip. both from the east coast. I am a charter captain and sportfish captain (private 61 viking) and do a TON of offshore fishing on the East coast, but the left coast is all new! looking forward to a new adventure! been putting gear together for the last few weeks, but looking for any tips or tricks from all the Veteran long rangers on here! so whats the must bring, must haves, or don't forget's THANKS and looking forward to this bucket list trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: Abusaade and Hooops

matrixx611

Is it Friday yet??
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Myself and my Bro in law will be on this trip. It will be our first long range trip. both from the east coast. I am a charter captain and sportfish captain (private 61 viking) and do a TON of offshore fishing on the East coast, but the left coast is all new! looking forward to a new adventure! been putting gear together for the last few weeks, but looking for any tips or tricks from all the Veteran long rangers on here! so whats the must bring, must haves, or don't forget's THANKS and looking forward to this bucket list trip!
Jig stick must have for wahoos and titanium leader, 30,40lbs for live bait, dropper loop, and nomad dtx for trolling

Reactions: NJAnglerDarren

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111

Darren Im on the trip with you. If youre bring your rods with you heres my suggestion Bring a 30 lb for tuna which can also be used for bait fishing wahoo (30lb titanium wire the crew can set you up with these so no need to get them before the trip)- two 40 lb for wahoo and yellow tail and a 50 if you have it for wahoo. An 80 lb for dropper loop especially for night fishing. Ill be night fishing every night we are on anchor. Usually its just me and 1 or 2 other guys Nothing better than sitting in a lounge chair, feet on the rail, and hooking up to a tuna, yellowtail, or big grouper

If you have flouro in 30-50 lb bring it. If not just ask me and Ill give you all you want No need to buy it. I havent used flouro in three or four years but you never know if its needed. Fishing has been real good and it wasnt needed.

Bring 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. Ive been using Mustad demon ringed circle hooks. They have worked real well. Also bring a pack of 6/0 or 8/0 for dropper loop. Again if you dont have the bigger hooks just ask me. I bring plenty. Bring a couple 12-16 oz torpedo sinkers for dropper loop

A couple Captain Jimmy wahoo bombs, Green, Halloween, raspberry, blue. Green and halloween are my favorites You can order them directly from Captain Jimmys website. He has a 6 pack of bombs usually at a special price. Charkbait also has them and can ship them to you fairly fast or The boats crew will most likely have them also so you can ask them whats working and get it form them.

Not a bad idea to have a couple raider jigs also

If you dont want to bring a trolling outfit just use a boat set up. Theyll have a dtx minnow already tied to it.

The crew is great on this boat and they have all the tackle you will need Just ask them and you pay for it at the end of the trip

Jerry

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
Anybody on the Red Rooster Nov 3-12? 9 day trip Sponsored by Nomad and Seaugar

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I was on this trip but had to cancel on doctor's orders. (I'm old and a cancer survivor, etc.) I was planning to bring down several newbies with me from Alaska, give them a few pointers -- they are good fishermen but only one has ever fished tuna, wahoo or yellowtail -- and let them use my tackle. Three of them are still going, so I hope you veterans can help them as much as they need. More importantly, Travis and Gordy need to eat the hearts from their first tuna. Make sure this happens!

Last edited:

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Darren - you picked a great boat and good dates - you will likely be making many more LR trips after...

Born and raised fishing in NJ out of Beach Haven - moved out to Socal 20 years ago - found a buddy that fished LR and specifically the Rooster with Andy - been on that boat about dozen times - never a bad trip even with the fishing is scratchy...

Don't be afraid / too proud to ask the crew anything - they know way more then the guys with the shiny tackle...

Reactions: terryc.

Eric Ancog

Mar 3, 2018
Lakewood
Name
Eric Ancog
Boat
Independence, Shogun, Red Rooster III
Eric,
I am thinking about jumping on that trip. Have you done this trip on the past?
I have not fished this trip before, but I have fished the Red Rooster and its a great boat and crew.

Reactions: Soda Pop

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I have not fished this trip before, but I have fished the Red Rooster and its a great boat and crew.
I have been fishing the rooster for the past 20 years. Longer trips like the 15 day trips. This 9 day looks good for a change.

Reactions: Eric Ancog
Aug 18, 2019
Fresno
Name
Michael
Boat
N/A
The main deck rocket launcher storage has 10 spots for boxes and shelving below them for jig bags. Boat has additional room for boxes up on top and against rear of boat. Good time of year for wahoo so be ready and have fun. I'm leaving on trip behind you.
I’ll be on the charkbait trip as well.👍

Sep 13, 2020
NJ
Name
Darren Dorris
Boat
Salty Lady
Darren Im on the trip with you. If youre bring your rods with you heres my suggestion Bring a 30 lb for tuna which can also be used for bait fishing wahoo (30lb titanium wire the crew can set you up with these so no need to get them before the trip)- two 40 lb for wahoo and yellow tail and a 50 if you have it for wahoo. An 80 lb for dropper loop especially for night fishing. Ill be night fishing every night we are on anchor. Usually its just me and 1 or 2 other guys Nothing better than sitting in a lounge chair, feet on the rail, and hooking up to a tuna, yellowtail, or big grouper

If you have flouro in 30-50 lb bring it. If not just ask me and Ill give you all you want No need to buy it. I havent used flouro in three or four years but you never know if its needed. Fishing has been real good and it wasnt needed.

Bring 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. Ive been using Mustad demon ringed circle hooks. They have worked real well. Also bring a pack of 6/0 or 8/0 for dropper loop. Again if you dont have the bigger hooks just ask me. I bring plenty. Bring a couple 12-16 oz torpedo sinkers for dropper loop

A couple Captain Jimmy wahoo bombs, Green, Halloween, raspberry, blue. Green and halloween are my favorites You can order them directly from Captain Jimmys website. He has a 6 pack of bombs usually at a special price. Charkbait also has them and can ship them to you fairly fast or The boats crew will most likely have them also so you can ask them whats working and get it form them.

Not a bad idea to have a couple raider jigs also

If you dont want to bring a trolling outfit just use a boat set up. Theyll have a dtx minnow already tied to it.

The crew is great on this boat and they have all the tackle you will need Just ask them and you pay for it at the end of the trip

Jerry
That is very generous Jerry!!! Thank you and I appreciate the info as well! I am lucky enough to be in the industry, and should have the basics but again thanks for the kind offer. Gonna be great to meet ya!!!

Sep 13, 2020
NJ
Name
Darren Dorris
Boat
Salty Lady
Darren - you picked a great boat and good dates - you will likely be making many more LR trips after...

Born and raised fishing in NJ out of Beach Haven - moved out to Socal 20 years ago - found a buddy that fished LR and specifically the Rooster with Andy - been on that boat about dozen times - never a bad trip even with the fishing is scratchy...

Don't be afraid / too proud to ask the crew anything - they know way more then the guys with the shiny tackle...
No way! I run my charter out of Beach Haven, and have been for years. This type of trip has always been calling me, and with a BIG birthday happening this year (50)I decided this is my time! I have been fishing all my life, and always know there is more to learn, so I will never let an ego get in the way of learning!!! Just a few weeks to go!!!