just turn the handle
  • Jun 13, 2008
    Long Beach Ca, Mission Lakes
    Name
    Chuck Norris
    Boat Name
    USS Kitty Hawk
    My rule:

Be sure to have 2 of what you really like to fish.

That way if by some stroke of bad luck one rig is incapacitated then you can still fish the style you enjoy the most and not feel frustrated on the trip.
    One 40lb Bait,
    I don't take an 8-10 day too serious though. You could fish one 40lb bait rig 100% of the time for every species encountered if you had to.

salute

One year I used a JX-2 on a SS6470 and 40lb. for 95% of my fishing.............
    Last year I had 2 reel failures but had back ups rigged and ready to go. I use the most back ups when we are into wahoo as things happen fast and you do not want to be in the rack fixing or re-tying leaders. I set up 2 rigs with wire for bait, one for the bomb and one with a Raider.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiegostyle.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat Name
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Chuck,

8 day and 10 day rigs can be substantially different depending on the timing of the trip.

To answer your question, an 8 day arsenal would look something like this:

20 - bait/plastics
    30 - bait
    40 - surface jig
    40 - bait
    50 - heavy jig
    50 - bait
    80 - dropper/troll (optional; you can use the boat gear)

Bring an extra reel or two for back-up and you will be prepared for almost anything.

Good luck on your trip!

- Jeff

Upvote 0

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
    May 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    michael higens
    Boat Name
    n/a
    I have a habit of over packing and like to have the exact set up for the application should it present it's self. After reading this I guess I'm not the only one but I'll bet I was a minority with bringing a small spinner. It was fun as all get out though when I got to use it. Here is what I took on my last trip which was a 6 day. They all got used. I took my own trolling rod just in case we ran into some jumbos. I did not bring a long rod this time since I wanted to dedicate time to vertical jigging and had surface casting covered with my larger spinning outfit . That would have been 9 rods.
    TN 16 20/25# bait/bass
    Talica 10 30# bait
    Talica 12 60# vertical jigging w/400gr stick and back up 40/50#bait reel
    Mak 10 40/50# bait
    Talica 16 60# bait/dropper loop
    Talica 25 troll 80/100#
    Stella 5K bass/inshore around the island with artificials
    Stella 10K 60# popping
    Over kill for a 6 day?...........Mike

Upvote 0

tightlinemike

Semper Fidelis
    May 28, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    michael higens
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Heck yeah Joe, Squeeze in a bass outfit. That is not what we target by any means but when the boat has scored daily on target fish it is nice to have one. You know how it goes. There is usually a bit of time bass fishing. My last trip I really enjoyed the easy pace at the rail catching a few bass. Even got a nice rock fish.
    "How many is too many?" ANSWER: One more than you own. :)

Actually, I'm leaving on 10/5 on an 8-day and taking:

30lb bait
    40lb bait
    50lb bait
    40-50lb bait
    60lb bait
    80lb bait
    50lb yoyo/hoo
    60lb yoyo/hoo
    40lb surface iron
    40lb surface iron
    and maybe a bass outfit

Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat Name
    None
    For 8 day trips or less a maximum of 2 30 lb., 2 40 lb. 2 50 lb., 1 60 lb. and a troller.

For 12 or more days, 2 for jigs or making bait, 2 for 80 lb. , 2 for 100 lb., 2 for 130 lb. , 1 for chunking and 1 for big baits.

It works for me.

Joe

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Feb 13, 2007
    Germantown, TN
    Name
    Jon Scobey
    Boat Name
    Titanic
    Too much bolting, unbolting, tying, cutting, and retying for me—which is exactly why I use the boat gear for trolling.

Yea, but you don't live out of state. I do the bolting, etc... while someone else is trolling. Fact is, this year I used the boats troll gear almost exclusively and so my 765 m had the HX on it almost all the time.

Upvote 0

HermosaJoe

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hermosa CA
    Yea, but you don't live out of state. I do the bolting, etc... while someone else is trolling. Fact is, this year I used the boats troll gear almost exclusively and so my 765 m had the HX on it almost all the time.

Ah, yes, out of state. Makes a lot of sense to go as minimal as possible, rod-wise.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    One year I used a JX-2 on a SS6470 and 40lb. for 95% of my fishing.............
    Last year I had 2 reel failures but had back ups rigged and ready to go. I use the most back ups when we are into wahoo as things happen fast and you do not want to be in the rack fixing or re-tying leaders. I set up 2 rigs with wire for bait, one for the bomb and one with a Raider.

Because, when you're fishing for Wahoo, shit happens and it happens quickly. ;)

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica from San Diego
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Speaking of Hoo if you straight tie to the Iron jig I would definitely have 2 ready to fire maybe 3 if chances are slim. If you get zipped off grab the other and fire away because most Hoo stops are very short lived.

BTW: I have noticed most Hoo zips from straight tie occur on the sink if you are winding turbo speed zips are minimal on the straight tie.

Kinda like YT YOYO on the speed jig. If you are catching Bonito and most are hooking Yellows you are winding too slow

I have no one to talk LR with down here so I'm trying to not let my LR brain go to mush :)

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Another good rule of thumb, for trips up to 10 day early fall variety trips is one rod for each day. 5 day trip, 5 rods; 8 day trip 8 rods. When you get into the longer 10-15 day trips targeting either nothing but big tuna or big tuna and Wahoo, the tackle prep gets far easier. Big tuna rods and reels, 4-6 outfits there, 100-150+ lb. And a couple fo 50 lb outfits for Wahoo and making bait. Easy.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat Name
    none
    your windows are so that you cannot afford not, to take multiple set ups for every sty of fishing available. wahoo,4 or 5 outfits,sardines,4 or 5 out fits for big baits,chunks,kite,ballon,nightime. it like playing golf. you take 9 or 10 clubs toplay 18 holes and you use them each home depending on what happens.
    if you are fishing with only 1 or 2 rigs all day,good luck.goooooooing

Upvote 0

heatmiser

Gear Whore
    Oct 1, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    23' Chris Craft Sea Hawk
    Do you really need a 60# live bait outfit? I have taken one along with me on a few trips and never used it. When I bumped up from 50# I always grabbed my 80# live bait rig. Anyone share the same opinion?

Upvote 0

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
    Spokane, Washington
    Name
    Doug Pineo
    Boat Name
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    So, once again, for us outa state guys, flying in, paying for baggage or sending gear down via FEDEX ground or whatever, trying to optimize becomes more important. I'm sharing my rods and reels with a guy I brought along on this year's trip, and after reading the posts above, I feel like I'm sharing out all my go-to stuff! All I know from my 5-6 day trips and a half dozen 10 day trips is you always need 40# rigs, 50# is good to have on hand at all times, and when the Capt. says hundy, be ready with hundy and one-thirty. Basil Pappas and Cal Sheets, to name only a few, point out the value of short flouro tops in a pick bite.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat Name
    none
    if i was coming from out of town, i would only bring my reels and maybe my best and fave go to rods. i would carry on all my mono and flouro. i do not want it getting xrayed and damaged. i would ship or order a terminal package from doug kern at the landing. he will know exactly what you need within 2 weeks of your trip, based upon the conditions. i would then order a tackle package from the boat with as many rods and extra reels that you may want. they are usually no charge no days. but you need to have the reels that you have sent to call, with you to give you the edge you need.goooooooing

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
    Aug 26, 2011
    fresno, ca usa
    Name
    donna
    Boat Name
    reel lady
    I alway take a 60 but have,nt used in past few years. If we ever get into smalltunas I might have use for it. If you are going out soon, you will probably never use.

Upvote 0

longrange

Mar 5, 2022
    Las vegas
    Name
    MB
    Boat Name
    RP
    You would think after going on five 8-day trips I would have this down to a science, but.... while pulling rods out of the rack to take Oct 13, I counted 14. I have been on trips that had so much variety that I used 9-10 different set ups. But mostly, as you know your main deal is the 40lb and 50lb rigs. I like to have several backups in the rack rigged and ready to go. So then I also need a 80lb for dropper loop. A couple of longer rods, an 795MH and an 825H (cut down). A 30lb for light wire wahoo and bait making. A 60lb and 80lb for live bait. It eaquals a big bundle.

Your take?
    I have been on a good many 8 day trips and only take 4 rods and 6 reels...this includes wall wahoo trips to. I can fish anything with these and don't have to bring the tackle store with me or stress over where are all my rods. Same goes for terminal tackle..you just don't need that much stuff. Have one rod in particular I call Mr know it all that can do from 20 lb fish to 130lb fish...just change out the leaders. The first trip I went on I brought 12 or so, what a disaster. I keep hooks on me and retie in 15 seconds if I get sawed off in the hot bite scenario. JMO..so much more relaxing with minimal gear.

Reactions: bigreddog
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Sleeping giant has been awakened

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Sleeping giant has been awakened
    interesting that not much has changed in 10 years concerning rods/tackle- but a lot of the regulars on this LR forum from back then no longer post much or at all.
    used to be a little more fun back then...
    maybe time to bring back some of the classics..

Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    interesting that not much has changed in 10 years concerning rods/tackle- but a lot of the regulars on this LR forum from back then no longer post much or at all.
    used to be a little more fun back then...
    maybe time to bring back some of the classics..
    I remember not that long ago you posted a very nice long range arsenal list or two.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica from San Diego
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX SHO
    Can always velcro strap reeless rods together. In 1 slot

Recently someone left their big gear at home on a 10 day. Got smoked by a super class YFT on the super banks

I would take a 50 to the super banks before hurricane bank

Don't cause clutter or be a pig with space. Take what you want

Upvote 0