Flyrbr

get a couple of gaffs in this
Oct 21, 2013
San Lucas By The Sea, Ca
Name
Bob
Boat
if it flies, floats or... you got it
I wonder if anyone has a good solution for transporting rods in a rod case as checked baggage. The NTSB has a real talent for breaking guides, tips and generally screwing up expensive gear. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Normslanding

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
I switched all my guides to the turbo style, that added durability. As for broken tips I have added a 1/2" dia. Alum. tube in with my rods. The tube is a little longer than my rods. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
I wonder if anyone has a good solution for transporting rods in a rod case as checked baggage. The NTSB has a real talent for breaking guides, tips and generally screwing up expensive gear. Any suggestions?
I do it all the time. I use a SKB rod case. The TSA is going to open it for sure. I don't put more than 5 rods in the case. That way it's easier for the TSA to open & close the case. I bundle the rods together with rod ties. If you try to stuff too many rods in the case it's difficult for the TSA to close the case. That's generally when damage to rod guides occurs. On the SKB case I run a cable tie through the lock ring to insure the case doesn't open. The TSA will cut the cable tie to open & inspect the rod case. I tape an extra cable tie to the outside so after they close the case they have a cable tie to use. Again if you try to transport too many rods in a case that's when the trouble starts. My buddy transports his rods in a bug PVC tube. It works but if you fly often with rods I recommend something nicer.

Upvote 0

Phil

Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a

I've flown quite a few times with rods in a large Bazooka case - as many as 10 for long range trips. Always put each rod in an individual fabric rod sleeve then arrange them so that half are butt "down" and half are butt "up" and ensure the butt ends overlap the tips. That way the ends the rods making contact inside the rod tube are the butt ends. I wrap the whole bunch in bubble wrap at each end and the middle. The bubble wrap strips help keep the rods centered in the tube. Never had a tip damaged either in checked baggage or shipping rods via Fedex. If you have time, shipping them to the landing is a good option.

Upvote 0

otownjoe

rail hugger
Mar 6, 2012
Orlando
Name
Joe
Boat
big one with a high rail
What Phil said. 3 trips and no problems yet. The only difference is I use clear plastic sleeve I purchased from Mudhole. Clear plastic so they won't be tempted to open up the bundle I've created. I also use lots of rubber bands to secure the bundle so it will slide in and out without snagging and still stay centered in the rod tube. The TSA has opened up the case every time I've flown. I use a Plano jumbo airliner tube and get ten rods with no problems.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Now that very few airlines transport rod tubes free, and in fact often have a big upcharge, sending them FedEx is a very viable option.
If you go "ground", its usually cheaper than the airlines, and takes only 3 days from west coast cities, but probably 6 days from the east.
Just be sure the overall length is 7 feet 11 inches or less, once you hit 8 feet, the premium prices apply.
This for San Diego trips, but FedEx charges very high prices to send rods to Alaska.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I do like Phil, mixing the tips half up and half down, making sure the butts extend past the tips, and securing the rods together. I also have narrowed the selection down to just five rods (two heavy, two medium, 1 light surf spin rod) although I will take twice that many reels, and depending on what the day presents may swap a reel or two. Only one broken tip in a couple of dozen air trips on various airlines, and that was the first trip coming back when I was tired and neglected to be sure that the butts extended past the tips. It is so much easier to take extra reels in the backpack when walking to the panga or cruiser instead of a bunch of complete outfits.

Upvote 0

Illkeepfishing

Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast
    Oct 27, 2011
    New York, New York
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    I insert each rod in a length of pipe insulation. (For you Southern boys, that's what we use to keep exposed pipes from freezing in the winter time.) Some of the rods go inside a Plano rod case, and a couple go in a PVC tube. I use bubble wrap at the bottom and top of the rod case and PVC tube and around any exposed tips. The rod case and PVC tube then goes inside a box. Then I ship the box to the landing via UPS ground. (Thank You, John). I took the rod case on Jet Blue once and got lucky, but on subsequent trips decided that I didn't want to risk getting an over-sized luggage charge or theft/damage by TSA.

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Rather than putting a dowel or pipe inside the tube why not use make a stopper?

If you have a tube that slides one smaller tube inside a larger one and uses pins to hold it in place all you need to do is set your rod tube to the desired length. Where the larger end fits the smaller end drill a hole in just the smaller end where the other pin holes are. Get a nut a 2.5" to 3" bolt and washers (depending on the width of the area). Put equal washers on either side and push the bolt through the hole you drilled. Now you have a stopper. Tsa can't push in past that bolt since it will not fit through to the larger sized tube. Saves room and weight inside the tube and no need to carry around a piece of PV or wood that can damage your other rods.

This is worthless without pictures.

Upvote 0
    Oct 29, 2009
    BAJA SUR
    Name
    DA RAT
    Boat
    NONE
    X3 for phil

instead of bubble wrap, we used bar towels and just tied the rods with thin rope when we inserted the rods, they slid in pretty tight.

we just used the 4" black pvc, glued a cap on one end and drilled the open end and cap so we could fit a bicycle lock on it after going thru tsa.

have done the over 20 years flying to loreto, la paz, cabo, east cape. never a broken tip if you tie them together like phil said.

after arriving at the hotels, we used the pvc pipe like a safe, all locked up money and all legal papers.

in the past when we flew down as a group of 32, we taped four tubes together and they counted them as one. don't know what they allow these days as i've been driving from los angeles to the east cape pulling a small utility trailer.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    X3 for phil

instead of bubble wrap, we used bar towels and just tied the rods with thin rope when we inserted the rods, they slid in pretty tight.

we just used the 4" black pvc, glued a cap on one end and drilled the open end and cap so we could fit a bicycle lock on it after going thru tsa.

have done the over 20 years flying to loreto, la paz, cabo, east cape. never a broken tip if you tie them together like phil said.

after arriving at the hotels, we used the pvc pipe like a safe, all locked up money and all legal papers.

in the past when we flew down as a group of 32, we taped four tubes together and they counted them as one. don't know what they allow these days as i've been driving from los angeles to the east cape pulling a small utility trailer.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
    been using the same thing for years on the glued end glue good foam cushions the rods threaded cap other end thin plastic sleeve around rods with rope tsa will pull it out see rods and slide it back in no problems so far ..bigrishtransport.com

Upvote 0

themadog

themadog
    Feb 16, 2010
    mukilteo/washington/usa
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    17, Arima, Sea Ranger
    I use a bazooka tube pro.. my last trip a year ago, TSA took the pin out and never replaced it.. luckily, my rods made it with no damage. I now have instructions and tape extra zip ties to the tube. I usually fly Alaskan Airlines. If you look at their rules for flying fishing gear, they allow 2 rods and a tackle box counting as one carry on.. I have flown Alaskan three different trips from Seattle and you have to tell them about the baggage rules, I haven't had a problem yet. I usually just leave out the 2 rod rule and call it rods. Good luck..

Upvote 0

redsalmonslayer

Skipper
    Apr 3, 2008
    Kenai River,Alaska
    Name
    Thomas Allen
    Boat
    18ft lowe" Drift Daddy"
    Really like bolt stop on Bazooka, I put tape on my pin ,drilled hole in top cover for TSA lock.Love the rollers on case.just got back from Cabo had 8 rods .in Anchorage they inspect it right next to counter so I just open it up for them.I have 3 SKB cases which are bullet proof but only 5 rods each which I use for LR trips last 10 yrs.Had 1 broken guide [ 6 rods]from bad handling from TSA in SD.The bolt stop on Bazooka will make me more comfortable.I have stick jacket for each rod and velco straps SKB.I Will use combo of cases for 15 dayer. TSA is not gentle with rods and don't have any concern for guides .Good Luck

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
    brooklyn
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    Independence
    I fit 11 rods in bazooka jumbo airliner. I used to go through the hassle of putting them on the plane. What a hassle and the cost was more than shipping. I've shipped fed ex for the last few years with out issue. 60 dollars no worries and they are there when I get there

Upvote 0