Dexter Outdoors

jerryl

Jul 17, 2011
West Hills, CA, USA
Name
Jerry
Boat
N/A
Some pack light and others pack the kitchen sink.

Do you pack your rods with reels attached? Or do you pack the reels separately in a reel bag and attach them on the ride down? Pros and cons to each can be seen. What does everyone do?

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Long range has plenty of travel time, and at least an hour at the bait barge. Everybody I know puts on the reels on the boat. Another tip is to buy a 5 groove pool noodle, slice to the inside hole on one top ridge. Put one rod inside to the noodle hole and 5 rods on the outside ridges. That really helps in transporting without guides and rods rubbing during transport.

I am interested in this tool...
    https://www.charkbait.com/specials.htm#Special_5

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    Depends on the trip and boat. Short, overnight or 1.5 day, I attach the reels at home, especially on a cattleboat (open berthing). 3 days or longer, I attach on the boat. 3 day with my wife and son, I atrach all but the trolling reel at home, too many rods and reels to do all in an hour or so on the boat.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    Depends on the trip and boat. Short, overnight or 1.5 day, I attach the reels at home, especially on a cattleboat (open berthing). 3 days or longer, I attach on the boat. 3 day with my wife and son, I atrach all but the trolling reel at home, too many rods and reels to do all in an hour or so on the boat.

I do pretty much the same. And on those local overnight trips where I'm fishing with a bunch of strangers, I'll usually bring my old, beat-up, less valuable reels than my fancy shiny new ones...just in case.

Reactions: terryc. and Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Kayak
    Particularly on the longer trips (7+ days) I attach them on the ride down. If you run into some weather on the way down or back, you really don't want your reels to take all that spray coming over the rail.

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    The way we load on long range trips there's too much chance of banging your reels around. A bundle of rods without reels is much easier to pass over the rail than rigged outfits.

Reactions: jerryl and Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    I do pretty much the same. And on those local overnight trips where I'm fishing with a bunch of strangers, I'll usually bring my old, beat-up, less valuable reels than my fancy shiny new ones...just in case.

Me too

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    travel time is when most will spend the time rigging much easier to load and unload rods and less chance for damage to avoid damage handle your gear yourself seen to many crushed guides on the off load hope this helps.

Reactions: jerryl
    Upvote 0

jerryl

Jul 17, 2011
    West Hills, CA, USA
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    N/A
    Do people usually attach the reels outside or in the galley? I'm always afraid of losing a clamp screw or not tightening the screw enough, and having it come loose during a fight.

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
    Apr 18, 2012
    LA/Santa Cruz
    Name
    Shannon
    Boat
    Edgewater
    Chances are somebody else will be loading your rods so make it easy on them and your gear.

Any trip that loads out of dock carts has me putting reels on underway. I've got a dry bag backpack and I pack my reels in a hoodie in there and wear it once the carts are rolling. I wouldn't forgive myself for letting some scumbag walk off with my reel bag.

I also keep a little plastic bag with an extra set of clamp hardware for each style reel I fish in my Bowen box. It weighs a couple ounces and costs about ten bucks. I've never lost any hardware but I've helped out some cool folks. Sooner or later I'll probably lose some hardware but it won't be an issue.

Reactions: Bill W and jerryl
    Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    Do people usually attach the reels outside or in the galley? I'm always afraid of losing a clamp screw or not tightening the screw enough, and having it come loose during a fight.

Just make sure you are not in any close proximity to a scupper. I've seen guys put their reels on on the rail, not a good idea. I've seen several screws or clamps dropped over, and twice, seen reels go SPLASH!

Upvote 0

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
    May 19, 2006
    Crowley Lake, CA
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    Gone but not forgotten
    Just make sure you are not in any close proximity to a scupper. I've seen guys put their reels on on the rail, not a good idea. I've seen several screws or clamps dropped over, and twice, seen reels go SPLASH!

Not to mention rods. Witnessed one hit the deck and made a perfect bullseye into and out the scupper.......sayonara.

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    So if everyone sets up on the way out, do you have 20 guys jockeying for prime spots on the boat for setting up their rigs?

Never had an issue.

I bring my rods, one or two at a time, to the tackle area or bait tank and put the reels on there. Then put them back in the rod rack and grab one or two more.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    If you have rocket launchers on your box and get a spot on the top rack all is good. I work on 2 reels at a time and it goes fast both setting up and tear down. If I don't get a top rack then I'll work on one rig at a time. To keep any overflow rods in a grouping I'll take 1-2 from my assigned space and switch them to the overflow while I rig up those rods.

Upvote 0

SlideRight

Been there...
    Jul 4, 2008
    So Cal
    Name
    Lew
    Boat
    ss minnow
    Never had an issue.

I bring my rods, one or two at a time, to the tackle area or bait tank and put the reels on there. Then put them back in the rod rack and grab one or two more.
    For convenience and efficiency, LR boats & crew usually expect rods to be loaded and off loaded with reels removed (unless your nick name is 'Chappie' & you fish the AA alot.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
    Sacramento
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    The Organ
    Interesting question. Everybody has their own style and it appears that most guys prefer to rig up on the boat, based on what I've observed. I started LR fishing by rigging up in the hotel the night before. Any more, I assemble my gear before even driving down to SD. I want to make sure I've got everything assembled correctly from the comfort of my patio by the pool, whilst sipping some IPA. I even put on my first leaders, splicing my mono or fluorocarbon leader on to my braid before the drive.

Upvote 0