Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Hi guys,

We just came back from the 4.5 dayer on the El Pescador with the Osuna brothers at Puerto Vallarta.

We had some fantastic fishing and we caught multiple cows and I caught my personnel best Super Cow of 340lber on an Avet 30W 3 speed and a Rick Ozaki's Graphtec 3XH. :)

I will write more and share pictures this weekend as I recover.

Report. First off, I would like to thank Rodless Jim for putting the trip together. On the trip was Rick Ozaki of Raider/Avet/Graphtec fame. Jeff Vogl my LR friend from the Indy. Jerry Rincon a new friend who's done 8 dayers, but first time on the big cows. And of course my bunkmate on the Indy and partner in crime Max Macias.

We left in the evening on Sunday 10/6 on the El Pescador with captain Danny Osuna, Roberto Osuna, Cinotes and Fernando the new cook. We picked up some cabalitos from the bait pen in the harbor and we headed up to the Tres Marias on into the evening as the sunset. It was a bit bumpy on the way up, but nothing too bad. Good thing about PV is that the ride to the COW TOWN is only about 12 hours or less.

The crew stopped during the night to make squid and all the other anglers were welcomed to come out and try to make bait. On the first stop, I heard the engine stop and I decided to opt-out of making squid. :D The second time engine stopped, I figured that we were on the fishing ground and decided it was time to fish. When I went to the deck, I found Danny making squid. He told me it was slow at the first spot, so he was trying here to get some more. He and I tried for a while and we did make about 4 pieces and we took off to the fishing grounds. The ride was about another hour and a half and I just sat and drank coffee and waited to start fishing.

We ended up fishing with the north of the most north island Isla San Juanito.

To break from the report a bit. We in the LR community knows the importance of the "code group". In PV, the Osuna brothers have a code group of family and other panga fishing friends. Scotty Osuna (who was our captain last year on the Marla IV) one of the brothers was already there in his big 30-foot panga for a few days and told us where the fish have been biting. This to me is very important in fishing PV. The Osuna operations have the information from all the locals and that helps tremendously.

Ok, so we end up in the area of the fish and there are fishing jumping here and there chasing bait. Some birds working and the area looks really good. Danny likes to fish the boat with two balloons with squid or cabbie, two kites with squid or cabbies. On the drift side, we fly lined squid, cabbie. Had a few rods setup with 16 oz sinker at like 200 ft. Basically, we had all the areas covered.

Before we left the harbor, Rodless had made us some T-shirts and gave those out and then we draw order. Jerry, Jeff, Rick, Min, Max, and Rodless. The Marla operation is an Okuma boat. But, Rick Ozaki brought his own rods and reels and we set up 3 or 4 of those rigs on the drift.

First fish went off on one of the rigs and Jerry Rincon who's personal best before was a 70lb BFT was on. Jerry fought the fish and he was like any angler who fights a big tuna, was a bit shaky. But, he did a good job and brought the fish in the 170lb range. Jerry by the end of the trip would fight the fish like a pro. Every fish he caught on the trip would be his personal best, with him catching a cow of about 215 lbs.

The next fish up was Jeff Vogel. My buddy Jeff is from Las Vegas and he fishes everything from Tahoes and LR. He's one funny dude and a blast to fish with. He brings a fish in a similar size to what Jerry brought aboard. There is a picture of those two with their fish, but I didn't take the pic on my phone.

Rick got a fish on his Avet/Graphtec combo about 70lber and then it was my turn. I've been fishing this Avet 30W 3 speed on one of Rick's Graphtec 3X Heavy rod. Every time we would set up a new drift, I would bait it up and flyline a squid on the stern corner. Then this one time, I went in to grab something from the galley after I set on the drift and then the rod went off. Rick set the hook and called me up. After coming out of the galley, I started to fight the fish and the fish was acting kind of squirrely. I would realize later it was the 340lber, but fighting the fish initally I didn't think it was that big. I ended up fighting the fish on the bow most of the time and a few times made laps around the boat and then back to the same spot.

The fish again was acting kind of weird would do some pulling and then just sulk. For about an hour gain, about 10-20 yards and the fish would take it all back. After a while, I handed the rod to Roberto Osuna to see if it was me or the fish. I was glad to see Roberto had the exact same problem. :) So, back at the bow fighting the fish. One of the things that Danny did on the trip was to jump in the water with an underwater GoPro and he was in the water filming when he popped up, he said that the fish was BIG. To me, I've seen more fish lost in the last 20 yards than any other time. I mean, fish pull hooks way out. But, the real heartbreak is at the last 20 yards or less. From my experience, I know that when it comes to the death circles, it's time for the angler to pull and fight the fish like he's going to lose it. What I mean by that is to pull and don't be afraid to pull. I know you can pull the hook and snap lines, but sitting in that stalemate too long and we all know what happens.

I palmed the spool and added drag and with the bow rocking up and down use the boat to wind in some line. At some point, I was even lifted up off the deck and Roberto would have to catch me. LOL. After some strenuous pulling and giving and pulling back. The fish came to gaff. I have to say, Rick's Graphtec 3X worked perfectly. Recoiled when it needed and never bottomed out. Rick who's been doing LR fishing for a long time built the perfect rod for this type of fishing and the cost is so low, it just can't be beaten at any price. Not bad for a $200 LR rod. :-)

So, next up is my buddy Max Macias. Max is one of my best friends and he's one of those that I introduced to LR fishing. I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoy watching him in pain fighting a fish. :-D. Another reel goes off and Max is up. He fights the fish and his fish acts just like mine. It even ran on the surface and it did the sulking. I mean it was another mean fish and Max fought it for a long time. He hooked him on an Okuma Makaira 20 SEA and that reel has a problem of the dog or something giving as when it was in low gear, the reel would do this thing and backlash with the fish pulling hard. Max ended up fighting the fish most of the time in high gear. The reel had just came back from service from the factory and to have this happen was very disappointing. Fish of a lifetime and the reel was jacked. Even having to fight the fish in high gear, Max brought the fish to the leader. The leader about 18 feet was right at the tip of the rod. The fish was doing it's circling and was just out of gaff range. And then POW, the spectra popped about 3 or 4 feet from the FG connection.

I just want to comment again, I own mostly all Okuma reels and had taken one of my three Mak 20 in for service for similar issues. I think this is a known issue and Okuma should share how we can fix the problem ourselves if there is something we can do.

Max being a trooper took it like a man and said it was a great fight and the ones you lose are the ones you will remember. There is no doubt in my mind and everyone else on the boat that the YFT was another super cow.

By the way, some of the fishes caught during the trip.

340 lbs - Me. :)
298 lbs - Jeff Vogel
258 lbs - Rick Ozaki
215 lbs - Jerry Rincon
204 lbs - Max Macias
195 lbs
188 lbs
178 lbs - Rodless
160 lbs
156 lbs

And a bunch of 60-100.

As you know on these trips, the days kind of all roll together.

Jerry Rincon from the bay area biggest fish was up to this point before the trip was a 70lbs BFT. His first on the trip beat his personal best by about 100 lbs and he got a taste of what a big fish fights like. By the time he got his cow, he was a pro and really like Rick's Avet 3 speed and also the Graphtec rod's recoil. Let the rod do the work and he did. He fought his cow like he was a LR pro.

The 298 fish that Jeff Vogel got was with an assist from Max. Max placed a cabbie on a balloon and knew Jeff was next up. So, being smart ass he kept letting the line out and out and out. Until you could barely see the balloon on the horizon. Well, as you would have it. The clicker went off and Jeff's turn was on. He fought the fish for about 2 hours and up came a huge tuna. They needed three gaffs and assist from the others anglers to help pull the fish over. They taped it out to 298. It was close to a 3, but still an awesome fish. Jeff was down in PV earlier this year and got his 3, so this was close enough.

Rick Ozaki on the final day after watching all these fish come over the board was anxious and thought maybe this wasn't his trip. On the final day, he hooked and landed a 258 on his Avet 50 SDS 3 speed and Graphtec 4X in 58 minutes. It was so hot that Rick had 6 bottles of water during the fight. About 4 of the bottle, Rick poured it over his head.

Talk about heartbreaks. Rodless Jim hooked a big fish and fought it for more than an hour plus. And Jim fought it well and did everything he could to bring it to gaff. The fish decided it wanted to go around the boat and Captain Danny grabbed the rod while the fish was at the color and the hook pulled. It was definitely a cow and maybe even more. But, the hook pulled. Nothing Rodless done was wrong. It just was hooked wrong. Sometimes things just happen.

Overall the trip was a huge success and everyone had fun. We planned the trip around a certain moon phase. We picked the right time and picked the right boat.

I have to give a great thanks to the Marla operations. They were always there to help and Danny knew where to fish. We had Scotty his brother to tell us where to fish were using the Osuna code group. We had an excellent deckhand of Roberto and Cinatas. We had excellent food made by Fernando and we were never hungry. Fernando made some nice sushi spread and he made some out of soy paper. An interesting tasting and I'll have to try again. Marla's operation is excellent and I highly recommended them to anyone who is searching for big tuna.

Harddrive.

IMG_2274.jpg
IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg
IMG_2064.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2068.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg
IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2185.jpg
IMG_2181.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2154.jpg
IMG_2131.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
IMG_2249.jpg
IMG_2258.jpg

Last edited:

poncherello

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
Can’t wait for Jim’s report. 4.5 dayer? Should take about 3 months for the write up.

Congrats on the 340 pounder!!!

Reactions: Montaukmaniac

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Jerry, I will be writing the report. Week or less. :)

I'm still waiting on my Intruder though. ;) . Going two plus years. ;)

Can’t wait for Jim’s report. 4.5 dayer? Should take about 3 months for the write up.

Congrats on the 340 pounder!!!

maxmacias

May 8, 2012
culver City
Name
Max Macias
Boat
N/A
Yeah the fish for sure was a super cow. I have some shades which record the video and I am sure that video will show the reel slipped when it was in low gear. Scary part is when it slipped caused backlash. Robert helped me well over an hr trying to get that fish in high gear + handling it so i can reel in line and as well the other deckhand Senate helped at the end as well. It was close just maybe one or two more circles and the fish would have been gaffed and come on deck. Anyone that has that Okuma Makaira 20 SEA reel highly recommend you get it checked out before you go chasing big fish. Those reels getting dropped off tomorrow @ Okuma. Danny Ozuna asked Jeff if he could take them to Okuma since he drives that way when going home to vegas. I will post the video later.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
The Graphtec Cow rod is a winner. I can't say enough about how the rod performed and the costs of the rods are amazing. I wish he would have came out with that rod when I started to chase the big tunas. It would have saved me a ton of money and wrapping. ;)

I would love to know what you thought of the rod.

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Sign me up! I need to charter these guys for my family who don't think they can stand 2 weeks on a boat to get to the lower zone.

Reactions: GES and Rodless_Jim

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Super report and I love the good report on Graphtec rod. Another option and with options it only benefits the sport.

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
Duct Tape Queen
Thanks for the awesome report, looks like a trip of a lifetime for sure.

I have a 5 day trip planed with the Osunas in January. I can't wait!!

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Woh serious big fish trip. Fk yah on the super Min. That fish could easily eat bubba

Nice fellas. Real deal. Cabs and big Squid are 2 of my favorite. Cabs last forever. Little horse is correct and squid just want to be eaten.

4 crew. Pro style

Landed the PV Super in my avatar in high gear. After it ate 2 man baits on 2 rods. Bros hook pulled. Then the fish surfaced like a submarine 15 feet off the stern then swam to the bottom and died. Handlined to surface