Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Recent Roddy threads have piqued my interest in this old rod I have. BR 90, not museum quality.
Bottom guide has been replaced.
While it sure looks pretty hanging in the man cave, what would be the best reel pairing and usage for this set up. I surf fished a spinning reel with it years ago when I knew nada, but I don't think its a spinning rod. Bottom 2 guides are large but the rest are small.
Apparently it was fished pretty hard back in the day and has caught a lot of fish by the deceased that I inherited it from and I want to do the right thing by him and the soul of the rod.
Any info appreciated.Ill work on pics if anyone cares...

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
The BR series were all spinning rods. Is yours root beer glass? If it is then it has an aluminum extension.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
Tom, Not dying to fish it. Got lots of gear . If I wanted to restore it., any guesses on how much, value after restore, current value, and who.
Mitsu replaced the guide years ago not, sure if he's still doing rods.

As far as usage, probably fly lining macs and sardines for yellows and WSB.
Best reel ? A bait runner ? 4500 ?
Suggestions?
I think it's root beer glass ? Is that good ?
71746CCF-51C8-48CC-B275-E82C18A6E413.jpeg

78B7A64C-82A8-46DE-A240-109AC8A2CCD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Nice looking rod. You asked about value. I recently bought one very similar for $ 100 on offerup. As the market place moves toward longer rods a full length, all labels intact, full glass BR 90 is worth $150-$300. Many of these rods have been converted to conventional. Which often means cutting off the reel seat, stripping the cork handle and guides. Good luck.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    It’s not a rootbeer but if your going to fish it as a spinner why not keep it the way it is? If anything have the thread coated but I mean that may net be necessary. That should keep the spirit of the rod.

Be gentle with those labels they really are tough to find intact. Maybe have someone clear it for protective purposes. Fish it enjoy it, the previous owner did. Then maybe hang her up.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Jul 3, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'll probably have it clear coated. For practicality, I'll keep using a just serviced 4500 Baitrunner. For hanging up, I'm looking for a vintage Mitchell 402.

Upvote 0