af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I have caught a lot of school tuna on the poppers with it.Last April I was in Venice LA fishing the rigs for YFT.I caught one about 90-100 lb on a bent butt 2 speed shimano.I thought WTF,see if I can blow up one of the Roddys.I landed another 90-100 YFT on it,80 braid with 60 floro topshot.The reel worked fine,dropping down to low gear REALLY made a big diff on being able to recover line with the spin reel.After the YFT I caught 2 40lb AJs on the same reel.For a $100 reel I was impressed it held up along with MANY other guys.I was in a Aftco harness with a strap around the reel stem to be able to rest.Notice,NO rail!I can text pics to any one that want to see the rig.Going back in August and will try the same reel again.Not made for what I was doing with it for sure.FWIW,Tom

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    I have caught a lot of school tuna on the poppers with it.Last April I was in Venice LA fishing the rigs for YFT.I caught one about 90-100 lb on a bent butt 2 speed shimano.I thought WTF,see if I can blow up one of the Roddys.I landed another 90-100 YFT on it,80 braid with 60 floro topshot.The reel worked fine,dropping down to low gear REALLY made a big diff on being able to recover line with the spin reel.After the YFT I caught 2 40lb AJs on the same reel.For a $100 reel I was impressed it held up along with MANY other guys.I was in a Aftco harness with a strap around the reel stem to be able to rest.Notice,NO rail!I can text pics to any one that want to see the rig.Going back in August and will try the same reel again.Not made for what I was doing with it for sure.FWIW,Tom

Over the years, people have landed fish that a Barbie pole or a Zebco 33 was never expected to handle. This $58.67 Roddy appears to fall into that "unexpected surprise" category... LOL

Do you recall what your drag setting was and did you notice any frame flexing?

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I did not,I wanted more drag and the capt did not want it as we were using smallish hooks.The drag was smooth,no jerking.The harness deal used a strap around the reel stand.I really think the 2 AJs hurt more as I did not use a harness.IMO its a true 30-40 lb line spinning reel.I have a Shimno Twinpower-Terez setup for serious SW spin use.I just wanted to see how the Roddy 2 speed and the new Roddy graphite rods held up.The rod I used was a true 30 lb rod,had it way over loaded with 80-60.As said,the same reel and rod will go back with me in August and will kind of keep tract if and when a failure happens.Ali and Jason were both amazed the reel held up.Tom

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Knowing that your line was 80/60, you could have adjusted the drag after hook set. I did that on a YFT with a Fin Nor LT100 on a Daiwa STW70MHS with 100/50...the from-top-of-spool 15lbs of drag was not putting the hurt on the 40lb-ish YFT, but an additional 3/4 turn on the drag knob did the trick without any issues.

Wai

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    pic

IMG_1553[1].JPG

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    I really dont remember,just they looked like small hooks for the size of the fish.The AJs were on the iron.Tom

Upvote 0