tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Decided to give this finish a shot because I read some good things about it. I've had very mixed results but mostly poor. It bubbles badly and if any heat is applied, hardens and seals in the bubbles rather than popping them. It hazed over blue and began to delam after the first trip out on one rod. The gaff I used it on seems to be okay, just a few annoying bubbles.

So if anyone was looking to use this stuff, figured I'd put out a warning! Any one else have any experience with it? Maybe I got a bad batch?
107766886af9b7fa4c41319bb5fd204b.jpg

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
3 and counting!
A D2 fan!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
Thanks for the heads up.

My experience has been that Flexcoat is very easy to work with but yellows very badly very quickly on the rod. I have seen some rods I have built a year or two down the road and have been embarrassed.

I switched to ProKote and while it takes longer to cure, it is crystal clear and bubble free. It will be difficult to get me to switch from ProKote.

Reactions: tanner.s
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Thanks for the heads up.

My experience has been that Flexcoat is very easy to work with but yellows very badly very quickly on the rod. I have seen some rods I have built a year or two down the road and have been embarrassed.

I switched to ProKote and while it takes longer to cure, it is crystal clear and bubble free. It will be difficult to get me to switch from ProKote.
Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Uncle Joe
Upvote 0