Rod to pair with Penn Fathom 25NLD2

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by NextMikeSays, Dec 22, 2017.

1. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    I got a good deal on a Tallus 6'6 Heavy rated for 50-150 braid. I am hoping to fill the Fathom 25NLD2 with 300 yards of 80lb braid and varying the leader with 20-60 fluoro mostly for SoCal fishing up to 1.5 days. Mostly, I am doing 1/2 to 3/4 day boats (SoCal) but wanted to be able to get YT and schoolie Tuna when the bite is on, otherwise the rod with also be used for local shallow water rockfish. Is this rod too heavy or should I drop down to a 7 foot Tallus rated 50-100 braid?

2. kbray001

kbray001 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kirk
    Boat:
    Regal 24
    I would go with the 7 ft Tallus 50-100. Unless you’re going for a bft cow then switch to the other rod.

Those Tallus rods are really underrated. They are great rods for the price.

3. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    Thanks for the input Kbray001. How about a 7ft heavy vs an 8ft (also 50-100 braid) heavy Tallus. I am looking for an all around setup. May not be the optimal use as a for YoYo stick but can work if needed. I guess I am looking for an all around generalist rod that may not be great in one area but can be solid all around.

4. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Just to clarify, the FTH25NLD2 is an amazing reel, but it is not a "60-pound reel", nor is it really a "50-pound reel", though in both cases if you are fishing the heavier fluoro for abrasion resistance, you will be fine.
    The Fathom LD2 reels [along with the Torque LD2 series] are incredibly well built, and enough people have gotten away with fishing 50-pound topshots, the next step in pushing it is naturally 60 pound, ha-ha.
    Mike Lackey in particular has been punishing the 25NLD2 reels onboard the Vagabond at Guadalupe Island far beyond anything they were designed to do, with amazing results, however, it is not something that should be a regular part of the reels use.
    Their "sweet spot" is definitely with 40 pound topshots.

rexor_rn likes this.
  5. fishtoday

fishtoday Newbie

Name:
    Jim Williams
    Boat:
    none
    I own 2 of the tallus tlc70H rods. I fish the 25N2 with 40lb. for bait & the 30 for iron. 65lb. braid backing. I use 25lb. thru 50lb. top shots on the rod. Nice all around rod. Get a 40n2 for the 60 & 80 lb. the tallus xh works for the heavy line. Really like these rods & reels. Good qualty gear for fair pricing.

6. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat

What are your thoughts on using pure braid except 4-10 feet of fluoro leader. Since 80lb braid has the diameter of 25lb line or 0.50mm, I could buy a 300 yard spool and that would fill up the reel. My thought is this gives me a little more versatility depending on my fluoro leader. Technically, the reel can handle up to 33lbs of max drag so if I were to use a heavier leader, I could crank down the drag if bigger fish show up by changing to a heavier leader. If I get spooled, it would be on the highest drag setting limited by my weakest link, which would most likely be the lb test of leader.

• For local rockfish, I would use 80lb braid to a dropper loop of 25-40lb mono.
    • For fly lining for Calico's I would use 20-30lb fluoro leader (3-5 ft)
    • For bonito/schoolie tuna and Yellowtail, I would flyline using 25-30lb fluoro leader (4-7 ft)
    • For yoyo, use a short 3-5 ft 40-50lb fluoro leader
    • For surface irons, a short 3-5 ft leader (30-50lbs)
    • For larger fish, my leader would reflect the size and line shy nature of the fish. So if it's dark and WFO bite with 50-80lb fish not line shy, I would use a heavier leader to the 80lb braid to be able to use a higher drag setting that would offset the limited line capacity.

7. fishtoday

fishtoday Newbie

Name:
    Jim Williams
    Boat:
    none
    Mike, short top shots work fine. I use them most of the time fishing live bait. I also prefer using 65lb. braid, your bait will swim much better. The way you have your game plan laid out will work just fine. In the near future I think you will tire of changing set ups & as time goes by you will acquire more rods & reels. Stick with these penn fathom reels,they will treat u good for many years.

Manny celis likes this.
  8. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I use a Calstar 875h cork special. I ordered it from the factory deckhand style from the Longfin and they liked the idea so much they now have several. If you like lightweight, sensitivity, and the ability to adjust the reel height, You can go wrong there when coupled using a 25mm cork puppy. It is my absolute favorite 40# setup.

9. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat

Yeah I think you are right. Given time and collecting more gear I’ll probably have a lot of specialized setups, but for now, I am looking for flexibility. I am thinking of exchanging the Tallus 6’6 heavy for the 7’ H heavy since that is described as a 40lb rod. The 6’6 looks like overkill for this reel.

Thanks for the advice!

10. hotstick

hotstick Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    24 radon , 16 radon
    6480 solid 40 lb stick and reel bait , jigs

11. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    Mike has been punishing the 40's not the 25 at the Lupe with 80lb. At least on the trip I was on in Nov.

12. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Correct, the 40N is the reel Mike uses as "loaners", and also what he recommends for anglers aboard his boat. However, he has "snuck" a few baits out on his 25N/30's just to see how far he could push them!

rexor_rn and terryc. like this.
  13. Eonei001

Eonei001 Still-a-newbie

Name:
    Edward
    Boat:
    Francesb
    I just picked up another Fathom NLD 25 (may have a problem buying gear, no one tell my wife). I am looking to create a 30# or 40# rig for live bait maybe a little jigging. Anyone have any suggestions on a rod to match with this reel?

14. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    UC Tilefish

davidsk, Ja7935 and thuy619 like this.
  15. Goosed10

Goosed10 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    none
    PCH 761H. Perfect 40# bait rod for the $

rexor_rn likes this.
  16. Postal719

Postal719 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    Calstar 7400m....boom!

17. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    I have a proteus 7’6H

18. Eonei001

Eonei001 Still-a-newbie

Name:
    Edward
    Boat:
    Francesb
    Thanks I appreciate the input!!

19. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    Went the same route at first with the Torque 25nld2 (80lb braid), but quickly found that on a BFT long soaked bait, I didn't like getting picked up with so little line left on the spool. Much more confidence with the extra yardage that comes with 65lb. Plus, as mentioned above, the bait swims better with less weight to pull...

20. brice

brice Mañana

Name:
    brice
    Boat:
    Grady 226
    seeker 6480