Rod suggestion for SXJ Raptor

AZLEO

Aug 9, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Lee
Boat
None
Hello BD. I've been a lurker for a couple months, finally registered and looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a rod for a SXJ Raptor w/ 50# braid and 30-40# fluro for party boat fishing out of San Diego/LA. This would be for live bait and casting ~3-6oz jigs like surface irons or coltsnipers.

I'm new to saltwater this year but already addicted. I live in Phoenix so my boat trips are limited to maybe 10 a year. So far I've been taking 3/4 - 1.5 day trips fishing for big YT, calico, etc and eventually maybe YFT small BFT... someday.

So my dilemma is I don't know intimate details about rods. I understand the power, action, line rating, lure rating.... the obvious numbers to a basic fisherman I guess. But those can be matched to a $60 uglystik or a $400 Calstar. I don't know anything about the reel seat fitting, the overall weight of the rod, or info I could probably find walking into a tackle shop... if we had any saltwater tackle shops within 300 miles of central AZ :D

I don't want to spend a ton on a rod right now considering my very limited use and the money I already put into the reel and another Penn 40 setup. I'll probably pick up a nice Calstar or Phenix after Christmas but I need something that will get me through a few more trips this year without blowing hundreds but without buying a cheap brick of a rod that will wear me out and maybe even snap on a 40#+ pissed off fish.

So from a land locked newbie, thank you in advance for any advice that'll let me fish this reel successfully a few times this year.

jim-m

Jim
Jan 7, 2010
Cypress,ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Bayliner Element F21
Hello BD. I've been a lurker for a couple months, finally registered and looking for some advice.

I'm looking for a rod for a SXJ Raptor w/ 50# braid and 30-40# fluro for party boat fishing out of San Diego/LA. This would be for live bait and casting ~3-6oz jigs like surface irons or coltsnipers.

I'm new to saltwater this year but already addicted. I live in Phoenix so my boat trips are limited to maybe 10 a year. So far I've been taking 3/4 - 1.5 day trips fishing for big YT, calico, etc and eventually maybe YFT small BFT... someday.

So my dilemma is I don't know intimate details about rods. I understand the power, action, line rating, lure rating.... the obvious numbers to a basic fisherman I guess. But those can be matched to a $60 uglystik or a $400 Calstar. I don't know anything about the reel seat fitting, the overall weight of the rod, or info I could probably find walking into a tackle shop... if we had any saltwater tackle shops within 300 miles of central AZ :D

I don't want to spend a ton on a rod right now considering my very limited use and the money I already put into the reel and another Penn 40 setup. I'll probably pick up a nice Calstar or Phenix after Christmas but I need something that will get me through a few more trips this year without blowing hundreds but without buying a cheap brick of a rod that will wear me out and maybe even snap on a 40#+ pissed off fish.

So from a land locked newbie, thank you in advance for any advice that'll let me fish this reel successfully a few times this year.

jim-m

Jim
Jan 7, 2010
Cypress,ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Bayliner Element F21
Check out Diawa Proteus PRTB80MHF ($180) I have this pared with SXJ Raptor and have caught many YT, YFT and a few sharks etc.

Reactions: AZLEO

Surfer Ed

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2015
Clarkdale, AZ
Name
Ed
Boat
Shogun, Vagabond, Constitution, New Lo Ann
There is Saltwater tackle shop in Phoenix -

Phoenix Fishing Supply
4810 N 16th St
Phoenix AZ 85016.

They will help you out in picking up the right rod for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 28, 2015
Eastvale
Name
Chris
Boat
Susan B
Lee, The AVET SXJ is one of favorite reels for jigging. The Diawa Proteus is a good suggestion and good for its price as mentioned. There is the Phenix Abyss rod that's is ggod and not as expensive. The Abyss has a more softer tip to whip out any jigs you use. I have both my SX & SXJ raptors on phenix black diamond rods 8' & 9'. The Black Diamond is more stiffer at the tip to through out live bait and colt snippers. its a small reel and the some Phenix rods are light and narrow it has a good balance to the set up. The Proteus is the same also as the black diamond, narrow with a stiff tip. and the Abyss is softer. Good luck!

finstofeathers

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2011
SW USA
Name
Leon
Boat
None
Like Surfer Ed said, Phoenix Fishing Supply. Best saltwater tackle shop in the entire state. The guys there are great and avid fisherman. I bought tons of stuff from them. Definitely go check them out!

AZLEO

Aug 9, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Lee
Boat
None
Thank you guys for the info! I had no idea Phoenix Fishing Supply was here. It was nice to actually pick up these rods and reels I've been scouring the Internet for. Really nice guys there too and very helpful. He gave me a nice discount because i was in uniform and i picked up the Abyss PSX-809 after handling them all. Can't wait to use it in a couple weeks, this combo is incredibly light weight.

Reactions: skipjackrobert