FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
There have been many threads on what fishing the rail is. No matter how well someone describes it, it is much easier to show it. In this video a newer angler goes from riding his rod to using the rail. Worth a look for anyone new to fighting big fish off the rail.

Transition starts at 9:03 into the video.

Last edited:

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Night and day from 9 minutes on... Roy gave some advice and that line starts coming on the reel. I put the rod butt on my right side. That allows me to pull the rod in to my chest so i can move up or down the rail. Also i can push down with my chest to get a lift.

Artois

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Night and day from 9 minutes on... Roy gave some advice and that line starts coming on the reel. I put the rod butt on my right side. That allows me to pull the rod in to my chest so i can move up or down the rail. Also i can push down with my chest to get a lift.
Are your handles on the left side? Having trouble visualizing pulling the rod with a right side handle. Also, seems like it would be more difficult to turn the handle with the butt under the same side?

Learning something all the time. the hard part is remembering from day to day.

Reactions: locvetter

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Are your handles on the left side? Having trouble visualizing pulling the rod with a right side handle. Also, seems like it would be more difficult to turn the handle with the butt under the same side?
No problems Roy... When walking a fish the left hand holds the front bar of the reel and the rod butt is tucked under my right arm. No issues cranking with the right arm.

Edit... I hold the front bar on my 80, on all the other reels i hold the fore grip just in front of the reel. Actually the same as Wahoodad does...

Last edited:

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
looks like he has the right gear for catching yellowtail tuna!

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
OMG, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it. Had to mute the video after a minute or so. Nice fish, though. All's well that ends with a bloody deck.
I thought I was playing the old Tron video game with that music.
You know I respect that the captain stuck with him and walked him to success even with some good ole fashion teasing in there:) great example of using the rail for sure.

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
That that really made me cringe when he was sitting on the rod and started lifting up on it. Roy is a good Captain and showed him the light

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
That that really made me cringe when he was sitting on the rod and started lifting up on it. Roy is a good Captain and showed him the light
"Plus you had it in high, I put it in low", said respectively, not being judgmental. Dude's a class act.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
No problems Roy... When walking a fish the left hand holds the front bar of the reel and the rod butt is tucked under my right arm. No issues cranking with the right arm.

Edit... I hold the front bar on my 80, on all the other reels i hold the fore grip just in front of the reel. Actually the same as Wahoodad does...

I also fight my fish with the rod under my right arm and crank with my right hand I like everything in line not cross body,,,, most of the time I have my left hand on top of the reel my and other than that just in front of the reel same as Bill W and Wahoodad....

Reactions: solid72 and Bill W

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Just like a monkey fukin' a football till Roy took over

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Watching that reel wobble while he was sitting on the rod made me crazy. Been using the rod under the same arm I am winding with for over 20 years. Just makes more sense and is very ergonomic. Use the other hand to hold reel or rod depending on the situation. Sometimes I put the rod under the other arm to give muscles a rest, but not for long...

- Jeff Burroughs.