Rod & Reel configuration for a newbie

Mar 17, 2020
Bay Area, CA
Name
Christopher Hand
Boat
Triton
So I'm pretty new to Tuna and YT fishing in Socal and I'm trying to figure everything out, there seems to be so many choices and differing opinions.

I have 4 reels and will have 3 rods including that I was able to snag in some pretty good deals. I plan on using these for 1-2 day trips for now.

The Rods:
Phenix Abyss HD 15-40 7'8
Custom Varmac rated 20-40 7'6,
Phenix Axis XH 30-80 7'8.

Reels:
Torium 16HG with 50lb braid
Torium 20HG un-spooled (Thinking 65lb)
MXJ Raptor with 50lb Braid
Talica 12II with 65lb braid.

Would you recommend putting like 50-100yds of mono topshot on these? What would you recommend as far as configuration and uses?

Thanks in advance everyone seems to be knowledgeable and I appreciate all the feedback.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Your going to get a lot of different opinions here and non are wrong. As long as the braid is on tight and you’re comfortable casting braid, then you could use a short 6 to 15 foot, fluorocarbon top shot. Braid “bird nests” are the worst. If you like fishing with a 50 yard mono top shot, and some fluorocarbon on the end, that’s fine.

The short top shot on braid is great in the kelp, since it is able to slice the kelp. With bigger fish, I want as much line as possible so I use shorter top shots.

So it’s really a person preference of what you feel comfortable using.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So I'm pretty new to Tuna and YT fishing in Socal and I'm trying to figure everything out, there seems to be so many choices and differing opinions.

Setting up your gear is pretty specific to your target fish and method of angling. Fishing live bait you are fine going with 6' - 15' of leader with a spool full of braid. Slinging lures you might want to put on a cast length and a half of mono.

Reactions: tgorman
Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
If throwing iron go with mono a bit longer than you can cast. most of the skippers on the boats for the day to 2 day trips recommend a bit of mono say 30-50yds for tangles and as a shock absorber.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
For tuna fishing, especially if you are new, 50-150’ of mono on your bait reels would be a big help. Makes casting a bit easier, but the biggest pluses are a little stretch when pulling on the fish and makes getting out of tangles so much easier. I also feel like it gets bit better, but that might just be superstitious on my part.

Upvote 0