Rod/Reel Advise

Tiderunner85

Sep 30, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Name
Tommy
Boat
21' Tiderunner
For pulling divers a mooching reel is your friend. Get a Daiwa moocher reel for $80 and put it on a BC style 10'6 rod. The reel is pretty much indestructible and I think a lot more fun. Makes for quick work bring gear up for checks and getting it back down.

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
Nothing like overkill, I have Avet SX Raptors and others, there is zero need for this type of setup for trolling in that location. And a line counter, while not required, is a great addition with divers. And there's no reason to not use a level wind.

Kind of like the $400.00+ custom DR rods, if you like to buy very good and expensive stuff that's great, but for trolling with divers it's totally unnecessary.

Ya but I have green rods n reels and red rods n reels that way we know which side of the boat they run on. And yes they are all custom built and fish way better then any production rod out there. Even with divers there is a difference. You can catch tuna on a Barbie rod to but why when you can fish with good gear

Reactions: Redzwulf

undone

Jan 11, 2016
WA
Name
Jody Wyse
Boat
Blue Wave
Well there you go, you can go buy good working off the shelf stuff, or custom made special order color coded rods and reels.

escapee

Jul 8, 2011
marysville, wa
Name
barak rabel
Boat
23 north river seahawk "hattie nicole "
For pulling divers a mooching reel is your friend. Get a Daiwa moocher reel for $80 and put it on a BC style 10'6 rod. The reel is pretty much indestructible and I think a lot more fun. Makes for quick work bring gear up for checks and getting it back down.
I love mooching reels, but challenge the "indestructible " aspect you speak of.

20180103_182641.jpg

escapee

Jul 8, 2011
marysville, wa
Name
barak rabel
Boat
If I did that to my islander I might cry. No I didn't run it over, just put the line on too tight. Fished it 2 days while the islander went back to factory for rebuild, then the shimano sat in the boat for 2 weeks. Next time I saw it , it was broke.

kallitype

big liar
Jun 29, 2010
Vashon WA
Name
TER ROTH
Boat
LIvingston 14, Hobie Adventure kayak
My fishing buddy and I both bought left-hand retrieve Okuma Coldwater reels, loved them until they both failed within a year---the lever that makes freespool stopped working on both our reels. We replaced them with Daiwa Lexa line-counters, which seem to be MUCH better made, smoother and more robust. Have caught a number of kings with the reel, very very smooth drag and fit the hand very nicely. Holds plenty of 30# braid. As for rod---we pretty much run downriggers 90% of the time, so have gotten a couple cheap 10 1/2 ft Shimano TDR rods ($40 at Sportco) that are heavy but seem to do the job just fine. I also use the 10 1/2 foot Lamiglas G1312T rod with good result---swapped a Kenai Killer for it, there are no 50-60# kings around here, so the Killer was superfluous.

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
Jan 18, 2013
Tacoma
Name
ain't no cunthead
Boat
68 Bellboy
My fishing buddy and I both bought left-hand retrieve Okuma Coldwater reels, loved them until they both failed within a year---the lever that makes freespool stopped working on both our reels. We replaced them with Daiwa Lexa line-counters, which seem to be MUCH better made, smoother and more robust. Have caught a number of kings with the reel, very very smooth drag and fit the hand very nicely. Holds plenty of 30# braid. As for rod---we pretty much run downriggers 90% of the time, so have gotten a couple cheap 10 1/2 ft Shimano TDR rods ($40 at Sportco) that are heavy but seem to do the job just fine. I also use the 10 1/2 foot Lamiglas G1312T rod with good result---swapped a Kenai Killer for it, there are no 50-60# kings around here, so the Killer was superfluous.
The KK I paid $50.00 for LOL

Team Sency

Unleash the hounds!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
I just told my wife they were lifetime rod/reels for my kids. Don’t tell her otherwise!
They really are something special to be had for a very long time.

My only concern on the rods....and not much we can do since cork has gotten extremely expensive...but those Winn grips will wear out, where cork would last forever(obviously if take care of).

I keep searching and researching best options for cork and alternatives and is just amazing how perfect cork is for a fishing rod. I still use it on my builds, but the extra fine cork handles end up adding a ton to the cost of these rods!

escapee

Jul 8, 2011
marysville, wa
Name
barak rabel
Boat
Well yeah, that's a Shimano. I was talking about the Diawa's :finger:
I gotta know though, how did that happen?
I put the line on, fished it a couple days, then parked the boat for 2 weeks. Next time I got in it ,the reel was broke, I put the line on too tight apparently