Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
In another post, I mentioned that my wife surprised me with a new Tranx. I explained to her that to give a reel without a rod isn't what one does. So, what rod should I demand of her?

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I'll be chucking bombs and iron to anything that swims and has gills.

So 40lb line? In your shoes, I might choose a United Composites Wahoo Jr., but you might find that a bit too stiff for a Tranx. Throwing iron? Can you travel with an 8' rod Jon? I think you might really like the CE (Challenger Elite) 80 Monster. It's rated 30-50, which sounds right to me for the reel and the application. It has a Moderate speed (flex), which means (to me) that it's likely to be an awesome caster. It's very light, and you can get Ken Bush to build you a beauty.

Upvote 0

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Jon,

I am expecting an 8 foot factory wrap United Composites 8 foot predator. I believe this could be just the ticket to let you use more of the great drag potential of the Tranx for bombs and jigs but I will let you know once I pull on it.. I need to see if it will match, diameter wise, with the Tranx to get the most out of the low profile of the reel. But the blanks I have pulled on have been great. I also love the shorter lengths of this version of UC rods but I have a great feeling about the 8 foot length.
This rod will also match as a cross over rod to other reels you have so you can mix and match.

The other option I recommended 2 years ago and Steve went with is the Phenix Hybrid 809XH. I believe he built a second one just recently as he loved that combination. Another great option to match to that reel.

Jamie

Reactions: tugasangler
Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I got mine paired with a 9'3" Ulua.

E1DH1Rl.jpg

Qsajc5n.jpg

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
So 40lb line? In your shoes, I might choose a United Composites Wahoo Jr., but you might find that a bit too stiff for a Tranx. Throwing iron? Can you travel with an 8' rod Jon? I think you might really like the CE (Challenger Elite) 80 Monster. It's rated 30-50, which sounds right to me for the reel and the application. It has a Moderate speed (flex), which means (to me) that it's likely to be an awesome caster. It's very light, and you can get Ken Bush to build you a beauty.

I looked at a bunch of UC blanks for an 8' 50# spinner. I pulled on the CE 80 Monster that Jim recommends and almost got it, but it seemed just a tiny bit soft for 50#...so I'd agree with Jim that it would great for 40#.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
In another post, I mentioned that my wife surprised me with a new Tranx. I explained to her that to give a reel without a rod isn't what one does. So, what rod should I demand of her?

Jon, with all due respect, are you crazy?

If she buys you a rod too, then she'll know how much it costs...and she already knows how much a reel costs. She will then be able to review your equipment and start figuring out how much you've been spending on rods and reels...and adding the costs of trips and airfare, etc. Good God man, just ask for a gift certificate for as much as won't arouse suspicion and go from there!

There's a reason why they don't tell us how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Jon, with all due respect, are you crazy?

If she buys you a rod too, then she'll know how much it costs...and she already knows how much a reel costs. She will then be able to review your equipment and start figuring out how much you've been spending on rods and reels...and adding the costs of trips and airfare, etc. Good God man, just ask for a gift certificate for as much as won't arouse suspicion and go from there!

There's a reason why they don't tell us how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

Brad you are dreaming if you think for a instant your wife does NOT know how much your stuff costs....but then you can continue to delude yourself if you are more comfortable with that.....LMAO

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
hey jon it your looking at a long rod and your going to use on your 8 day I can store it, if you stick with an 8' rod can ship and stay under that 104" inch where cost seem to rise give me a call if need be

Reactions: Squid Sammich
Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Another vote for the Phenix PSW 809xhj. You might end up having that combo in your hands most of the time on your trip. Light, fun and comfortable, pretty fantastic actually. :)

Had my tranx on a Phenix PHD 809xh for a little while and it's also a fantastic rod but it's also a lot heavier with a thicker handle and a moderate action instead of a fast action. More suited for bait fishing.

Being from Tennessee, if you're a bass guy like me, you might be more used to fast action rods like I am, having fished for bass all my life, and the 809xhj is kind of just like a big and crisp Loomis IMX rod. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Let me add that if you want a slightly slower action that might be easier to cast, check out the Phenix PSW 809xh. I also have and love this rod and it won't wear you out casting baits all day as bad as the 809xhj might. The psw 809xh has almost the same line rating and there have been people who have landed 100+ lb Bluefin on those rods so I would think you'll be able to handle any wahoo you come across with this rod. You'll be able to lob lighter baits out there a bit more easily than with the 809xhj. But this rod does not have the same amount of backbone the 809xhj does.

I had two bluefin in the 130 lb range on those rods on one trip for a while. Lost both fish but while I had them on, I felt in control of the one I had on the 809xhj from the start while the other one I had on the 809xh was kind of getting its way. The backbone's much lower in the rod in the 809xh.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Brad you are dreaming if you think for a instant your wife does NOT know how much your stuff costs....but then you can continue to delude yourself if you are more comfortable with that.....LMAO

Fishy,

What was it about my post that made you think that it was to be taken seriously??? :rofl:

Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Jon,

I am expecting an 8 foot factory wrap United Composites 8 foot predator. I believe this could be just the ticket to let you use more of the great drag potential of the Tranx for bombs and jigs but I will let you know once I pull on it.. I need to see if it will match, diameter wise, with the Tranx to get the most out of the low profile of the reel. But the blanks I have pulled on have been great. I also love the shorter lengths of this version of UC rods but I have a great feeling about the 8 foot length.
This rod will also match as a cross over rod to other reels you have so you can mix and match.

The other option I recommended 2 years ago and Steve went with is the Phenix Hybrid 809XH. I believe he built a second one just recently as he loved that combination. Another great option to match to that reel.

Jamie
Jamie, Steve indeed suggested the Phenix blank. I'd be interested in hearing about the UC blanks also

Rodless, my bud Steve introduced me to a Pac Bay reel seat that is two piece so the shipping issue isn't an issue.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private

Jon,

I've fished with a couple folks who use the Tranx on a Shimano Terez 80MH for exactly what you want. They slayed them with this combo. Easier to transport too. Another option to consider...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Fishy,

What was it about my post that made you think that it was to be taken seriously??? :rofl:
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my fishing tackle and shotguns for what I told her I paid for it. ;)

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Damn Jon, That is awesome! Did you dip the Tranx yourself?
Thanks man, the reel was actually airbrushed by a dude who's handle is "Pizzcustoms". That's his Instagram name

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
Another option would be the UC US80 Tilefish. Fast action with plenty of backbone, soft tip of the Monster with the butt of a Wahoo. I have two of them and love them for heavy jigs and Yoyo. My go-to for Wahoo and YT jigging.

-Connor

Upvote 0