Rod Pairing for Avet SX 6/4

mmills

Oct 12, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Name
Michael Mills
Boat
Carver 28
I am looking for a rod to pair with my Avet SX 6/4 G2 MC. I currently have it on a Ugly Stick tiger 7' M. I also have a light bass rod and a Penn Fierce 3 LL spinning set up. I am looking for a rod to go with my Avet to fish some live bait at times but mostly jigs like flat falls or larger swimbaits. Currently I am not doing am big fishing trips and on a budget. I have been lookin at the PCH 801MH or the SMX-C 82MH. Any other suggestions? And what would be a good next set up as well?

Upvote 0

JM138

Mar 22, 2018
So Cal
Name
Jeremy
Boat
None
PCH 801MH would probably work well. I had my SX on a PCH 761M and it was a nice set up and nice balance, it worked well with small jigs on 20# and could fish 25# all day long. Sold it to my buddy that needed it and I started fishing primarily star drags for under 50#.

Upvote 0

JM138

Mar 22, 2018
So Cal
Name
Jeremy
Boat
None
Easier to cast small baits and I have found that low gear on a 2 speed reel under 50# class to be useless.

M
mmills
I would agree with the under #50 two speed. I have yet to need the two speed.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

djcase

Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2020
Newport Beach
Name
Davis
Boat
None
Buddy let me borrow his SX setup. Has the Raptor and put it on a 8'6" UC RUS 85 Surface Iron Custom Rated 40-60. Great rod but seems to be just outside your price range?

It's spooled with 50lb power pro to 40lb mono. Primarily used it as a jig stick for casting surface irons & colt snipers, but I found it very effective for fly lining 40lb fluoro since the fish were biting heavier line.

Reactions: mmills
M
mmills
Yeah new it is over budget for me. But it looks really nice.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0